kwansie

House plan advice - last lap hopefully!

KXD
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello All,
I finally have a layout I am happy with and would appreciate your thoughts on anything that could be improved. I am adding to a semi-detached house - so one side is attached to my neighbour's house, and I am limited by what I can do with the unattached side because of planning rules. The unattached side also faces the back of my other neighbour's long shed anyway so there is not much of a view there. The kitchen/diner leads to the back garden which will be landscaped.
-Generally, what I like is the relationship between the rooms and especially that the dining area sits between the kitchen and living room. The living room faces south and has an existing fireplace so I would like to keep it where it is. I also like that the kitchen is tucked away a bit. The dining area faces north-east so we get a lot of sunlight in the morning. I plan to have the windows and doors on that side triple-glazed to avoid any cold spots when the sun has moved away. Also, I would ideally like to keep the access from the kitchen/mudroom to the study but would consider other ideas if it would improve the plan.
—The grey shading shows the walls of the existing house and yellow highlights are the doors and windows. The red markings in the kitchen area show the room on the top floor.

**Ideas on how to achieve a separation between the kitchen and dining areas even if psychological while preserving views of the garden and general openness would be greatly appreciated. I have always had closed kitchens so the new plan is a huge leap for me :-). Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.