angm47

Tricky galley kitchen design for elderly person

Angie
last year

My mother-in-law is very keen to have her kitchen redone, and it is in a terrible state to be fair, basically worn out. She's been wanting this for some time, but my late father-in-law couldn't face the upheaval. Now Mum's on her own, she'd like it done, and my husband has said he will fit it, but we're struggling to fit everything she's asking for into the available space, keeping it safe for her. She's 91, not always stable on her feet, and not very tall, so can't reach up too high. Currently she has two rows of wall cupboards, and she can no longer use the steps to reach the top ones (phew!) so we'll keep it simple with fewer wall cupboards and a big sort out. She'd like drawer units under the worktop. The biggest challenge (beyond the sorting out) is that the kitchen is the route to the conservatory which impacts options, plus there's an awkward bit of wall jutting out behind the boiler cupboard. Floorplan as it is now with measurements is attached for reference and if anyone has any inspiration to help we'd be very grateful.

We're thinking we'll move the washing machine into the conservatory, just the other side of the wall to where it is now, which will buy some space in the kitchen. If she has the eye level oven, that will take a lot of workspace given how small the kitchen is.

We think we need to include:

Hob (possibly 2 ring induction)

High level oven

Microwave (currently has a counter top one, new in 2022)

Freestanding fridge/freezer (current one not that old)

Slimline dishwasher

Pan drawers wherever possible

Sink and drainer (we think single sink will do to save space)

Extractor hood

Cutlery/utensil/tea towel drawers

Broom cupboard (currently under the boiler, in the same cupboard)

The Howden's design that was done a few years back had plate racks above the sink, which we may have to include if Mum asked for those!

Many thanks in advance, Angie

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.