overton_windows

Moving bathroom upstairs .. where to put it!!

Overton Windows
last year
last modified: last year

Hello. We are a couple who live in a small 3 bedroom Victorian mid-terraced house in London. The area is in zone 2, mix of young professionals, families, and about 40% local authority owned.

We have a limited budget for improvements. There is also ceiling price on properies in this area. This means that we cannot afford the following popular improvements - as much as I would love the end result.:

• Side return extension. Far too expensive presently, I've heard everything from £70,000+++++ bandied around. The end result would be a glassy extension of 12 x 4 feet...!
  • Loft conversion. The roof is very small and low in pitch. This is a conservation area prohibiting dormers or front-facing veluxes. In order to meet building regs, any loft conversion would involve taking down the ceilings by 10-15cm on the first floor to create headroom in the loft and to create space for steel RSJ beams. This would mean having to move out of the house for months, create a huge mess, and cost £££, all for a small loft room.

The biggest bugbears we have in the house are the dark moody kitchen which receives little natural light, and the bathroom being downstairs and off the kitchen 😡.

This is the current floorplan:

Downstairs, we are intending on removing the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom to create a larger kitchen. In what is currently a bathroom, we will install Velux skylights into the sloping roof, and large patio doors in the place of the current small bathroom windows, to create a bright dining area. The current back door will be blocked off to create wall cabinet space. We may/may not knock down the hallway wall adjacent to the stairs in the living room.

So, upstairs we need to find room for a bathroom! 💡

Option 1️⃣: - Split the middle bedroom into a small bathroom and a box bedroom. End result is a 3 bedroom house when you include the teeny box bedroom. Here is an upstairs floorplan for a neighbouring house (PS ignore the stairs up to their loft .. again, we cannot have this):

Option 2️⃣: - Have a lovely luxury bathroom with separate bath and shower in what is currently the bedroom above the kitchen. Install a (unnecessary but nice) Velux above the bath for wow factor. End result is a 2 bedroom house. Here is an upstairs floorplan for a different house in the neighbourhood with similar bathroom (though without the unnecessary Velux):

Which option would you go for? Does anybody have any creative alternative options which don't cost the earth!?

We are planning to live here 5+ years, and for us we don't need a third box bedroom. We would overall rather live in a house with a nice bathroom, rather than a poky bathroom and a box room which would rarely be used.

In any case the house would have "loft potential" in the future if we won the lottery / for a future buyer. However, I am concerned about turning this from a 3 bedroom into an admittedly much nicer 2 bedroom house, in terms of destroying house value? 🔥

Estate agents just say "do the whole hog £200k renovation with the side return, lower the ceilings for a compliant loft, get a wine cellar" etc etc, but they would say that?

Thank you 🙏🏽

Option 1
Option 2

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.