jemma_turner30

Single / Double Side Extension with Loft Conversion (Scotland)

Jemma Cox
last year

My husband and I are currently debating on whether it is worth moving house or adding a side extension, for further room.

For context, we live in a three bedroom relatively new build home, which has a very very strange layout.
The living room is a mixture of living-dining, quite spacious but not so much when you have the table & chairs. The kitchen is tiny and an absolute nightmare at Christmas. There is a downstairs toilet in the small hallway leading out to the back garden.
Upstairs bathroom, three bedrooms (two same small-medium size, and one box room).

We love the area where we live, it’s quiet, we don’t think we’ll get another garden the size we have, plus driveway etc, close to family for our three kids, and therefore are struggling with making the decision to move.

Our idea is to put the side extension just down from where the backdoor is, to add a double fold door (instead of a sliding patio) which folds out to the left, and then to extend this out all the way to the front of the house with a large single window on the far end. We plan to leave a gap for a tall double side gate down to the back garden.

It is the thought that this will extend the kitchen area (which needs to be remodelled anyway) and allow us to have a separate place for a dining room / conservatory area.

A double extension would also extend our upstairs bathroom so we can fit in a separate shower, bath, and generally make the upstairs larger - alongside the box room.

My husband wants to convert the loft also - and we thought that this would be good to do altogether, adding further bedrooms or an office (my husband currently has his desk under the stairs and its no good - there’s no room).

Just looking for any advice really.

Very Approx measurements are - 6ft x 26ft (Extension)
2ft 8 gap (for gate).

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.