kduffs2

Looking for layout ideas for kitchen/dining room

last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

We've just moved into a new home and we bought on the basis of knowing we'd need to do some work to the current kitchen/dining room lay out.

We've looked into doing a side return and knocking through the two rooms to create one large open plan kitchen dining room with an island and bi-folds however the quotes we've received are obscene and whilst we could afford we're concerned we wouldn't receive a return on our investment when we come to sell. This isn't our forever home and if we have kids as we plan to, it's likely we'll need to upsize within the next 5-7 years. We want to make the most of the space, make it lighter, more open and easier to host in without breaking the bank.

We're now looking at a plan B which would be to knock through the existing load bearing wall, brick up the door leading from the kitchen to the garden and turn the window from the dining room into a french door.

We'd love some sort of peninsula to bring the kitchen and dining room space together to make it a more sociable and cohesive space. I've tried to design something that might work but would be great to hear other ideas? It's a tricky space with no free corners. We'd also like the table to be as much near the light as possible.

Thanks so much

K

Current kitchen and dining room layout

Possible design

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.