keystar91

Where To Place The Front Door?

last year

I'm looking to modernise my one-bed London flat and am looking for some advice from those with experience in this field on where to place my front door.

Currently, the entrance to my flat is along the side of the house, off my private alley from the road, as pictured on the left. I want to make these separate kitchen and living room areas into one big open plan space, more suitable for hosting people. What this means is that I'll likely have to remove walls and potentially move the front door from its current situ to an entrance via my back garden, as pictured on the right. The new set up would be a main door for visitors/post in the garden then a primary access point immediately left as you come into the garden, so effectively once removed from the public.

One misgiving with doing this is that I've read that having your front door opening into your kitchen isn't ideal - seemingly primarily for privacy reasons - but if that "front door" is accessed via your own private garden, does this allay any fears over privacy or over-exposure from the move?

Keeping the front door where it is now and opening the space reduces the amount of storage I'll be able to get in and, for me, doesn't change the fact that you'll be entering straight into the living area - if anything, it is worse for that as you'll be coming straight from the public-access area into my kitchen/lounge whereas moving the door means guests are first met at the garden entrance.

Additionally, I plan to use the side return of the garden for an outdoor kitchen/bbq area, so close access to the kitchen is desired.

Would anyone advise against this change, and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks

TL:DR entering flat into kitchen sub-optimal but alright if coming via private garden?

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.