webuser_71660

Black spots on new outdoor treated wood?

Tani H-S
8 months ago

Hi all,
Just build an outside gazebo and the slate batons we used for the roof shaded sections is quite rough (price choice) and had quite a few black marks on. We presumed it was OK as all the batons had this on and it's from a popular local wood yard.
They have been stored outside but my mother who we built it for, now doesn't like the black marks as they have got worse. The roof is covered but lots of air so I don't imagine it's mould.
We thought perhaps oxidation with iron and the preservative?
But the little black spots are exactly where the green wood preservative is so it's those parts that are turning black.
Trialing oxalic acid at the moment on the worse ones but I cant possible clean every single baton as there are hundreds of them!
Is this normal? Will it disappear eventually? Argh.
Ps a bit of it came off with bleach when wiped over but not all of it - hence why we don't think it's mould.
Thank you

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.