webuser_853081743

Real talk - increasing costs making renovations too expensive

SJ Bee
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Costs of renovating in the UK have gone up considerably in the past two years thanks to a lack of labour post Brexit and inflation. What have you found in terms of still stalling, stopping or not making a difference to your renovation plans? We had a budget of £150,000 and I'm no longer sure we can do it. This was zone 4 London. We were hoping to do

• 3 x 7 m kitchen extension and sliding glass door
  • Removing a structural wall in this kitchen-diner (to turn it one room)
  • All the kitchen units, appliances making good
  • Remove rads to the ground floor, install underfloor heating and new engineered wood floor to all of downstairs, 50m sq
  • New architraves, skirting and 5 internal doors including the upstairs
  • New small family bathroom which would mean moving the current boiler along the wall

Is this no longer doable for £150k? What are your experiences with quotes right now? It is increasingly looking like in our neighbourhood that people are pulling out of renovation projects (august 2023)

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.