andrew_jackett

Help with Kitchen/Diner/Living layout

Andrew Jackett
7 months ago

Hi all - long time follower, first time poster.

We're soon to move into our 1930’s semi-detached north-west facing 3-bed house. The plan is to do a ground floor rear extension, likely to be around 4.5-5m deep, by about 5.5m wide – the current house is 6.1m wide and this would keep side access on the attached side.

We’d like to include a kitchen/diner space, with a bit of space for a small living area (1 or 2 small sofas), ideally a kitchen island, walk in pantry and a utility room and downstairs WC which is currently awkwardly under the stairs.

Where the kitchen is on the current plan, there is a conservatory which we plan to get rid of to open up the extension area. We’re happy to clear out the kitchen and potentially the current dining room to open up a lot more space. The side that the kitchen and stairs are on now is the end of terrace side, so we’d love to utilise that side for living and perhaps create the utility in the more internal space where the DR/fireplace is - to make the most of the external light in the living spaces.

I’ve made hundreds of scribbles and drafts, but still nothing is sticking and it changes every day. I’ve been getting a lot of ideas/inspirations from here, and the Netflix show Your Home, Made Perfect. But thought I’d see if anyone with a fresh set of eyes has any ideas to add to our dilemmas.

Thanks 😊

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.