rahul1723

Seeking feedback on architect work

8 months ago

Hi,

Hope you are well. I am posting to get your thoughts on the level of service I got from Refresh Renovations (refreshrenovations.co.uk) although it was with 3C Home Renovations Ltd. - A licensee of Renovation Franchise UK Ltd.

After having engaged them for the ‘design and feasibility’ phase, I have some serious concerns about their capabilities. Honestly, I am just looking for your thoughts whether its in line with what you’d expect from a design architect company or if I should reset my expectations.

We had been very explicit with them from the start that we wanted them to suggest and they just took everything we had thought of and pasted them on the design document with no real ‘design input’ or conversation on how we’d like to use the space, lighting considerations, why they did what they did, etc.

I am sharing the original house design. it’s a 4-bed semi-detached house and we were looking for suggestions on a loft conversion, a garage conversion and a kitchen (single-storey rear) extension.

1. Ground Floor

They suggested below

We had advised them that we could convert the garage into a utility and office space. My biggest concern here was that web of doors and what it was trying to achieve. It feels very amateurish. What are your thoughts?

2. Additional storage: I had requested ideas on creating additional storage space lost due to the garage conversation and I had mentioned something like a ‘wooden shed’ and bam - they put it on the design (top left) . Is it even legally permitted to have a wooden shed attached to the rear or a 6m extension?

3. Loft - violation of building regs: Below is my loft, an empty space.

Their proposal

My understanding and based on two architects' feedback, they advised that the open-plan loft staircase needs to be closed. I've contested this with Refresh,but they are suggesting that this is not an issue. Do you see any building reg violations?

5. Roof of extension discussion not part of design: After 3 revisions going back and forth, I asked them when we could discuss the extension roofing to work out the sky windows, etc and they came back telling me that I didn’t request it and so it would cost me an extra revision if I wanted it. I got this statement from them : “The features referenced were not missed; they were not requested. And would be an additional cost because these new requirements were brought to our attention after the release of the third and final concept design revision (REV C)”

Is this standard practice with architecture firms not to have roof discussions as part of refurbishments unless told? Isn’t the elevation one of the main documents submitted in the planning permission stage ?

Thanks for patiently reading till the end.
I would really appreciate any feedback you can provide on your thoughts, whether I am overthinking or overexpecting.

Thank you again :)

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.