indecisived

Integrated garage conversion flat roof height problem

8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

We're hoping to convert our integrated garage into a utility area and office. We had a couple of quotes from builders that didn't mention any issues, but we've discussed with a planner and cad technician who can do drawings for building regs etc, and a problem appears with the ceiling height and insulation with the flat porch roof covering the front approx 2/5 of the garage.
He discussed various options with different cost implications:
A - keep the low roof at the front but possibly face damp condensation problem in future (sure he said this wouldn't get approved anyway)
B - raise just the portion of flat roof over the garage for a couple of grand, but this could look odd next to different level flat roof over the porch
C - raise the whole flat roof, but have a large fascia over the porch, which could look odd
D - replace the whole flat roof with a pitched roof, but replace the uPVC porch with a brick one to take the weight, at a cost of approx 15k (doubling our estimated garage conversion costs to £30+)
Obviously D would look best and would avoid having to redo portions of it again in future. We could stretch to it, but it would impact on us being able to replace the kitchen (which we'd be knocking through to) and eventually a new knock through bathroom. Husband is more inclined to go for the cheaper option but I think it might look terrible and cost more fixing in the future.
Does anyone have any experience of this type of issue or thoughts about what we could do?
Ps. Not converting garage isn't an option as 2nd child needs his own room ASAP (almost 2) and husband works from home full time.
TIA
IndecisiveD

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.