webuser_421866568

Ground-floor planning advice for 1930 semi extension/open-plan

8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Hi all,

I would like to seek some ideas on my 1930 semi-detached house extension and living/dining/kitchen planning. My 2 key questions are

1) Do I need a 4m extension or would a 3m extension be sufficient (which would benefit from not needing planning permission)

and 2) Should I leave the space between current living room and dining room open or close it off to create a separate room?

My thoughts are the following 2 options (which can be mixed in some ways as well)

Option 1 - 4m extension: I would have a larger room overlooking the garden which would fit a large sofa and a dining table comfortable. I would close the current opening and create a separate room facing the street which I wloud use as and office/guest room. Benefits here are that I would have a nice sofa space overlooking the garden and creating an additional room, that is also fully separated for guests/working.

Option 2 - Due to the slightly smaller space, I would keep the dining table in the extension facing the garden and potentially move my desk here. I would leave the space between new kitchen and front room open (or sliding door, or some other nice element) and move the living area to the front of the house. Benefits here are that I do spend a lot of days working from home and I would have a nice view into my garden. Additionally, it may overall be lighter with the opening.

Of course elements from one option can also be done in the other, e.g. the wall opening can be done in either case, or I could still keep a small sofa in the extension and move a sleeper sofa and my desk into the front, and potentially separate with a sliding door as a guest room when needed.

A lot is personal preference but is there anyone who has done something similar and can see pro/cons with the different elements? Especially on the 2 key questions?

Thank you all :)

Risa

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.