manish_patel184

Please evaluate my floor plan

Manish Patel
3 months ago

Hello Houzz! I’m currently undergoing a renovation and extension of my home and wanted the group to provide any thoughts on my home layout. This will be a home in London for myself, wife and two children who are aged 5 and 7.

Some points to help explain our current approach:

Home office - I work from home 2 to 3 times a week hence preference for a home office.

Kitchen - we are not big cooks which is why we have gone for a ‘broken plan’ kitchen. set up and Plan is bring in some natural light to the kitchen by having a narrow glass pane placed horizontally on the wall being where the sink is current located. The doors to the kitchen will also have glass panes to also allow for additional light. We think having pocket doors is a simple solution that allows us to transition from broken plan to open plan (kind of).

The corner room shown on top of the kitchen is intended as a kids playrooms which will then become more of a games room with console etc as they enter teenage years.

Downstairs wc & shower - located somewhere central that is easily accessed from downstairs hallway. The shower is included as the property will be a four double bedroom house and the first floor has one en-suite and one master bathroom and so the shower downstairs will be useful if we have guests staying over in the fourth bedroom and the downstairs shower is likely to be an electric shower so will serve as a back up if we ever have boiler issues.

Square room next to shower - cabinet to house jackets, shoes and kids school bags etc.

Room on right hand side of front door - formal living room which could be used as a cinema room and hosting smaller gatherings in a more formal setting.

I’d welcome all and any comments!

Thanks

Comments (33)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.