rebecca_west90

Open plan - pillar in kitchen

Rebecca W
2 months ago

Hi, we have had builders (and structural engineer) in to quote to knock some walls down to create an open plan kitchen/dining/seating area.

There is an existing steel running from one side to the other (in dining room through to kitchen) It seems we have two options, either one steel running front to back or a pillar. ideally we want the area as open plan as possible but we have had an informal quote for both and the steel is over double the price of a pillar that would potentially be in the way of the peninsular bar. I have been messing with plans to see how it would look/work and im not sure if i like the pillar but it would help with budget.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be done to make it more attractive or an opinion as to a pillar or open plan? Pictures attached inc floorplan. we would be knocking back to outside wall so the Wc will be removed.

Any help would be much appreciated as we need to make a decision which we are struggling with right now.

to note: the pillar size is a guess in pictures. the larger wall in the middle is staying as seating area on other side and will have a logburner, its a fireplace currently.

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.