cxk263

mysterious Victorian fireplace surround - marble?

cxk263
last month

Hi,

I’ve recently bought an early Victorian house in east London UK, c.1860. Naturally I’ve been curious about what’s under the painted fireplace… it’s cold and definitely stone.

The front reception room has an exposed white marble surround and mantelpiece, but this one in the back reception room has been painted over multiple times.

First picture after some chipping away has revealed a really pretty green layer, but I can’t tell if that’s stone or mastic or another layer of paint!

Really worried I’d be wearing away green marble, I put some paint stripper on the underside briefly this afternoon (second photo is after some stripper). It took off 2 layers of paint, and now it’s onto this brown layer that’s harder to get off, it’s more grainy/sandy and harder wearing. Under that is the green layer…

I’m torn about whether to proceed with stripping the paint, as I can’t tell what the green layer is and am conflicted about chipping away more (also of course run the risk that upon revealing the stone, discover that it was covered up for a reason!)

Any advice gratefully received!!! Thank you

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.