nannynags

Help with plastering problem

nannynags
7 years ago

I really need some help to decide which is the best course of action and the way to proceed. I purchased an old cottage which had no appearance of damp, but just a general "old" smell, more over one side of the house. Over the year the wall in the upstairs bedroom appeared to sweat. If you shut the bedroom door then condensation would run down the wall, had a dehumidifer in it and this had helped, but didn't understand why a natural stone property would react this way. Found out this week when the plaster popped off the wall. It has been "blackjacked" and then plastered over so the wall can't breath. My quandary is do I completely strip all of the plaster off the wall before I put a new plaster board up, or do I just leave it and plasterboard anyway. I've had two completely different opinions on this and want to get it right. It's not helping that the chimney breast behind it has a concrete cap on the chimney and a blocked up fireplace at the bottom. Still need to investigate whether there is a void inbetween of if they have just poured concrete down the whole chimney.

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.