toria_jamieson

Paint colour for veranda & fencing?

Toria J
4 years ago

I have a lot of faded external timber & fences to cover, around a Colt house from the '60s (cedar shingles which are a warm golden-brown, windows are Brazilian mahogany).

I need to paint:
1. the veranda & an enclosed area around one of the doors

Exterior & Gardens · More Info

1. the main gates & about fifty metres of fencing.

3. the garage (the white building).

1& 2 are currently a very faded 'Red Cedar' (which I've never liked). Living rurally, my choices are B&M/Screwfix-limited:

- stick with the Red Cedar
- go Green (Forest Green)
- Grey/Silver
- a shade of Brown, darker or lighter?

Which do you think will suit 1 & 2 best (bearing in mind I may need to use different products)?

3. White again? Magnolia?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (43)

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Hi Toria. Just my personal opinion but I definitely think black on all the wood work will work really well with the shingles. For the garage I might go for a pale stone colour.

Toria J thanked rachelmidlands
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I'm with rachelmidlands on the black idea for all woodwork. However, given your lovely rural setting a pale but warm grey will work very well. It needs to be a warm grey to work with the brown of the shingles and windows.

Toria J thanked User
  • Related Discussions

What colour to paint wood fence?

Q

Comments (6)
    I like the grey/black of the bit of trellis opposite for the fence, and then a nice sage green for the shed? There is a fantastic range of colours by Cuprinol Garden Shades and its really nice paint. I think you can go a bit OTT with the shed, such as pink maybe, but stick to classic greens, blues and neutrals if that’s too much! Here’s the colour chart, but they have a good website that allows you to see all the colours on a shed or fence etc.
    ...See More

Help need on what colours to paint fence

Q

Comments (5)
    If you are set on painting then go with a contrasting colour to the paving, a darker tone of grey for the horizontal slats. As for paint I would choose the Valspa decking paint from B&Q as this is much better wearing and seems to have a better coverage than fencing paints. Also this being designed for decks it does not need as much repainting as fence paint and to some degree be washed down. As for the fence around the lawn area it depends if you are planting around the borders or not. Whatever you do there the fence will go green under the overhanging foliage and will need to be cleaned on a regular basis. If it was me I would be tempted to leave it to weather naturally as once you start painting a fence, you will always be painting it to keep it looking good.
    ...See More

It’s that time of year,what colour should we paint the fence.

Q

Comments (8)
    I think your view can take any paint colour 😍 There were articles on Houzz about black fencing, but I never saw a black one in real life. As I recall the article, the idea was that the black would disappear behind greenery. Meanwhile, in my garden I painted the fence with clay (or grey stone?) colour, and it looks good. Browny purple, as Colourhappy suggested, would look fabulous. I remember Luciana’s garden project, and browny purple in her garden looked beautiful. The only other thing to be conscious about would be to paint the fence first, then planting,not the other way round. You wouldn’t want to walk over the newly planter precious new plants while painting the fence. Also paint splatter might ruin or spoil the plants.
    ...See More

Shed and fence paint colour

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Amelia As you don't have any flowers in the garden I would be tempted by a bright bold colour. Have you taken a look at the colour options on the cuprinol website https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/garden_colour/colour_selector/index.jsp  As you change your colour choice you can see the effect - I would personally opt for a colour like 'Berry Kiss' in the reds & pinks, but it is a real personal choice :) You may want something more subtle.
    ...See More
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

Black or darkest grey would look fab and bring it up to date without losing the rural charm. Screwfix do a lot of external paints, their own as well as Cuprinol etc. I recently bought their deck paint as it got good reviews, so just waiting for the time to do it.

Toria J thanked Sonia
  • Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks to you all, your advice really helps as I waste so much time staring at the house photos and Internet sites.

I hadn't really considered black, but was open to ideas. So much that I've bought a tub of Charcoal Grey Fence Life+ and am wondering how to incorporate it. Perhaps the frame of the veranda? The drainpipes & guttering are (fading) black, so that should be close enough.

Veranda Decking - I wanted to paint this in a golden brown, or something to tone with the internal oak flooring which leads to it, but I can't find anything in a suitable colour.

Garage - Any ideas on how to 'tie' the garage to the house please? I've always thought the garage rather ugly/too dissimilar to the house. If I painted the garage, some timber/front door, and part of the veranda a similar grey, do you think that would help?

Problem is, I've only found two grey masonry paints available:
    Sandtex Plymouth Grey
    Dulux Weathershield Concrete Grey

Matching an available grey timber paint to either of them is proving tricky. Plus, MATH suggested a warm grey, which the ubiquitous Slate Grey isn't. Neither are close to the Charcoal Grey either.

Currently haunting B&M, Screwfix & Toolstation. (B&Q & others don't deliver here.) I've noticed some of the windows may also need attention, but the only Sadolin I've found is also black!

I love the rural setting, but decorating isn't easy when the selection is so limited.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Hi Toria. Hopefully the charcoal grey should look good on your veranda frame and fences. Test it first as sometimes greys can look a bit blueish which is why I suggested black to match your guttering. Regards decking, getting it a lighter colour than it is now will be a big job as it requires a different treatment because of the foot traffic. You’d have to strip it, possibly sand it, then neutralize the bare timber before you can apply new treatment. I’d just clean it then apply a specific decking stain/paint in a darker colour, grey/black. Garage I still think a stone colour would look better than grey personally and perhaps do the fascias/ wood work in dark grey/black. B&M do Dulux weathershield sandstone possibly or there’s the cheaper brand which has a mushroom colour that looks interesting, never used it so can’t vouch for quality. Entirely your choice tho as it’s your home:) Windows are a completely different kettle of fish! Ours have a similar colour timber frames that could do with a refresh so I’ve been looking into it. But you’d need a suitable stain/ varnish for windows and there’s a lot of prep involved. Hope this helps a little and let us know how you get on.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Quick update: I had to buy a pressure washer and only got around to painting today. Unfortunately, as you can tell, the Johnstone's 'Steel Smoke' paint wasn't the right colour. From the colour chart and tin, I thought it was darker and warmer, and wouldn't be so flat. That's the darkest colour in that chart, and I ballsed up and it contains wax, so I can only paint over (ASAP!) with another wax-containing paint.
    Eek!

Cuprinol Garden Shades in Urban Slate or Black Ash look to be my only options.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Btw, is there any other colour that I may not have considered please? It would have to be from the Johnstone's Garden Colours or Cuprinol Ducksback or Garden Shades ranges.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Another Houzz member @Forzaitalia has just painted her decking with this stuff (hope I’ve got the right one:)) https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-anti-slip-quick-drying-decking-stain-slate-2-5ltr/7791x Should be able to see it in another recent thread and it looks really good. Think you’d be able to use this on both the veranda and decking.

• Toria J thanked rachelmidlands
  • Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love that slate colour, but I suspect it'll be too cold against the warm brown.

Just been to the LPS - They have Black Ash or Country Cream.

Black would match the guttering.

Cream could match the garage.

Eep.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyone who suggested black can feel appropriately smug. It looks fab. Thank you.

(That's the Cuprinol Black Ash.)

Decking tomorrow. I have a can of Cuprinol Golden Maple Decking Stain, but I need to prepare it first.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Looking great! Well done (and I’m one of the smug ones lol!)

Toria J thanked Sonia
  • rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

That looks fab! and what a lovely landscape... and cute doggie as well :-) (ok... I’m smugging.. if that’s a word). Great work Toria, glad you like it.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Extended prep of the decking and the rain setting in has delayed the staining of the decking. Maybe next week. A bit worried about mould growing and dirt staining the deck in the meantime though. @rachelmidlands what neutraliser or treatment did you use before staining please?

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Well... I’ve not used it myself but I do read up a lot about different treatments (sad...I know:)). Hopefully this should explain all: https://www.promain.co.uk/blog/decking-preparation/

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Hi We think black would add more character and be a great contrast plus great for maintenance and longevity. Look forward to seeing finished result.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A quick note about stuff I've learnt so far while I wait for the weather to improve to do the staining & fence painting...

Any wax-containing ('wax-enriched') paint needs to have a second coat within hours, as otherwise, it just rolls off, and you have to sand before it sticks. The instructions say within 8 hours, so I knew I was pushing it having finished at 9pm.

I managed to get to my LPS shortly after it opened, and got back on the next train with the paint, so I was starting around noon the following day. Most areas stuck if I brushed over it twice, but it's something to be aware of if you're using Ducksback or Garden paints.

I do have an amusing anecdote from the LPS - I took my dogs along with me for the trip into town, as the early start meant I didn't have time to walk them & they love the train. I tied them up outside the shop.

I had bought the Johnstone's Garden Colours Steel Smoke from elsewhere, and was staring at the Cuprinol painted wood blocks dithering between the Black Ash and the Urban Slate, not being able to remember how dark the Steel Smoke was, when I remembered my dogs had managed to get splashes of paint on them from sitting watching me.

One of the biggest splodges was right on one's rear, so there was I holding the paint chart in one hand, and lifting the dog's tail with the other and comparing colours...

Strangely, the staff didn't find this odd at all.

And I confirmed that the Cuprinol Urban Slate was virtually identical in colour to the Johnstone's Steel Smoke on Bouncer's rear, not nearly as dark as the paint chart made it appear.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

He he...matching colours from the dog:-). Love it!

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It just looks right. :) I'm really chuffed. Backbreaking work to strip and sand the decking, and after hours and hours of work (and twice going over with a sander) it was nowhere near perfect. I thought I would risk it.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Two coats of 'Golden Maple'. Not perfect but has covered the red, and tones with the house.

Next, will be painting the door frame black, and stripping & staining the doors in a similar golden brown.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

!

• Toria J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm really, really happy about this.
    It's taken me a time due to the weather and my body playing up. Finally, a dry 48 hours coincided with having a hand in taking the doors off so I could strip them down and paint the doorframe.

I painted the door frame inside and out with the Black Ash, and it looks so great, instead of that burgundy colour.

While stripping, I sanded, and sanded, but was still concerned that the varnish wouldn't take on the remaining residue and I was short of time. Therefore, I decided to treat them with Danish Oil instead, using the fast three-coat flood method. I'll give them a rub with steel wool and a couple more coats over winter.

I've also cut down and painted the trellis near the front door, but I don't have a good photo of that area yet. Tomorrow, hopefully.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Very smart. Well done!

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Well done Toria! Those Golden colours look beautiful in the autumn sunshine:-)

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Forgot to post the trellis cut down and painted.

Please ignore the bottle recycling...

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would love more colour opinions please if anyone is around?

I'm staining black the door frame here and on the other side of the property to tie them in.
    (My plan over summer is to stain the window frames black too, but this will be a more laborious process and I need more Sadolin than I currently have.)

I will also be painting the doors. Ideally/in the long term, all three sets of doors would be the same or similar, but golden brown doesn't seem to exist as a paint, and I've been told a stain wouldn't take a very good colour on top of the existing peeling teak/maroon.

I have a choice of two colour paints:

- a variation on cream (and painting the currently-white garage a similar colour to match)

- Bluebell blue - there's lots of blue in the house & I already have a can of Rustins. I'm not sure about how the blue would look though.

Thoughts?

• E D
    3 years ago

Haha, Toria, I thought tomorrow would never come! 😂

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@E D , Yeah, I'm horribly slow. Sorry. 😬 Had to rely on the weather giving me a decent pic though, then got distracted by other projects, then my health took a dive. I've painted (mostly) all of the fencing too, but keep forgetting to take photos.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

this is the other door.

Black frame plus what colour door?

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Something cheerful like a lovely sky blue? I feel it needs a lift.

Toria J thanked Sonia
  • Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Sky blue! 👍

Toria J thanked Sonia
  • Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Sonia Yes! Called Bluebell on the can - it was a choice between that or cream. Not much variety available at the moment.

I'm not sure if I'll use the same colour on the other door - it depends what state it's in after I sand it down.

I had to fit a new sill, paint it at least three times with Sadolin (which takes 24 hours to dry per coat), find hardwood to replace the rotten wood , fit it, etc. It has been a marathon job. The inside is now white satinwood to match the paintwork in the kitchen. I still need to find and paint and fit a new riser, do something for the dog flap, fit the draught excluder and weather stripping, and seal the whole thing.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Wow you have been busy! Do you think the frame may look better in white? If you’ve already painted it then please ignore this comment completely! 😊🌷

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sonia it was faded burgundy from the previous old Teak/Mahogany Sadolin stain - I painted it Ebony to match the veranda and trellis.The windows should be this colour too, once I am able to get more. Sadolin doesn't come in white, so I didn't have that option. Tbh, it didn't occur to me either, though the inside of the frame and other side of the door are white satin.

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

(It was burgundy brown inside too - looked awful so the white is a vast improvement. Yes, the kitchen needs redecorating and the wallpaper stripped off - that's further down my list of things to do as I need to make sure the exterior is sorted first, then the bathroom completed.)

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Windows next...

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And some mowing...

• Toria J
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And weeding!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Wow Toria you have stamina! I’m exhausting just reading this. Hope all your refurbs go well 👍😊

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.