feedingducks

Are we missing any clever ideas for floor plans here..?

Heather N
last month

Hello. We have a section of our house that has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. We're doing a full renovation and moving one of the walls to extend the bathroom, so we have this layout below. We also have to take down the other bathroom wall for structural reasons, and rebuild it as a stud wall.

We're realising that the bedrooms are actually both quite small. As Bed 1 is the biggest, we were going to use this as the master bedroom (although the views from Bed 2 are nicer as they overlook the back garden). We were hoping to fit a super king bed, but the best we can do is this (with the wardrobe only 50cm deep):

With a king bed, we can just about add a bit more storage, like this, but it's quite tight everywhere:

We can't really move the bathroom much, if it stays between the two bedrooms, due to the floor to ceiling windows either side of it.

We're wondering, is there a completely different layout that we could consider for this part of the house, if we move some of those internal walls and somehow fit the bathroom in elsewhere?

Some restrictions / assumptions:

- Assume we can move the internal walls that currently divide the bedrooms and bathrooms, but that we can't do anything in the red area, because this is needed as landing at the top of the stairs. We also can't extend the bedrooms in any other direction, but can reallocte space within this footprint.

- We could add another window if that unlocked something

- We're on the first floor and can't extend

- The windows are all floor to ceiling, and can't be moved

- We REALLY want the bathroom to be bigger than current, as it's the main family bathroom and we really want the separate bath and shower

- It's okay for one of these bedrooms to be bigger and one smaller - one will be a kids room / guest room

In case relevant, here's the proposed layout for the bathroom:

And measurements:

Thanks so much for any ideas - either on making the master bedroom layout make more sense, or reworking this space as a whole.

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.