webuser_467569298

What colour wall panel in kitchen (light oak worktop)?

11 days ago

Hi!

We are getting a new kitchen put in and I'm not sure what to do about the back panel colour and was hoping I'd get some suggestions here.

We are going to go with a light oak-effect laminate worktop.

The cabinets will be slab style and a very light grey, with a light sheen rather than full gloss (Wren's Pebble Grey Silk). We are looking at Lick Green 14 for the painted areas of the walls***

The floor tiles that we have right now will stay (for budgetary reasons) and are a mid-grey. These are not them but a reasonably close match: https://www.diy.com/departments/colours-slate-light-grey-matt-flat-stone-effect-textured-porcelain-indoor-wall-floor-tile-pack-of-6-l-590mm-w-290mm/3663602676140_BQ.prd. 

We like the idea of a back panel instead of tiles as it seems like it would be easier to clean. However, we are stuck about what colour that should be. Wren can do us what they call a Tek wall in light oak to match the worktop. I think this would look nice if used sparingly, but I'm not sure about a wide expanse. Besides, the height they sell it in means it wouldn't quite reach our extractor hood so we'd end up with a small space between the top of our back panel and the hood which would get manky. I think that if we tried to get a light oak back panel from another supplier it wouldn't quite match and would look odd.

But I don't know what colour/effect to go with to complement the grey floor and cabinets, oak worktop and green walls. Any suggestions?

I have considered using light oak in a sort of skirting-board effect, about 10cm high, and then something else behind our hob. Maybe clear glass? But then this has the same issue as not getting an exact match for the countertop - Wren only do the Tek wall panels in one measurement so it would be quite wasteful to do it that way.

I'm using the term back panel instead of splashback as we want something a bigger than a splashback - we think food splatters from the hob in all directions so we don't want to get something that only runs the width of the hob.

***We are quite settled on the cabinet and wall colours, though we have not entirely ruled out the cabinets being a taupe with pink undertones (Wren's Cashmere Silk), or using Lick Pink 02 instead of the green. Green 14 would. work with either the grey or taupe cabinets, but Pink 02 would only work with the grey cabinets. So suggestions for those combinations would also be welcome.

Also, our kitchen is north-facing and doesn't get a huge amount of light. It's about 3.25 x 3.7 metres, so not very large (though not tiny).

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.