ben_callis

Floor for kitchen with cashmere units and oak worktops

Ben
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our kitchen is finally starting to come together. We have cashmere (pretty much exactly the same colour as FB Elephants Breath) shaker units, Oak wood worktops and white metro tiles.

Wall colour is likely to be white (maybe with a subtle warm undertone). Perhaps we could do a feature wall or just hand some very large pictures to add some colour.

The room is north facing so doesn't get a massive amount of light so we are trying to make it feel as light and airy as possible.

For flooring we are considering large tiles (maybe grey?) or perhaps a wood parquet or large board LVT? We feel wood may result in too much wood with the worktops and perhaps a grey tile could be too dark?

I've attached some pictures of the current progress showing the units, worktops and the tiles.

Comments (31)

• Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Heres a couple of pictures of how the kitchen used to look in the day time to show how much light it gets.

• Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

Hi there. If the kitchen is North facing and not particularly light, I would avoid grey tiles. This is because, although the tiles may look good, the overall effect can look a bit gloomy. Secondly, warmer walls can help to overcome north facing rooms and if these cream tones are next to grey tiles it can look sickly. I think a wooden floor is a better option. There is a tile from Topps called 'Sculpt' that we considered. It is a semi polished porcelain and has a slight undulating surface like poured concrete. Comes in two colours, grey and buff. The buff one is really lovely and could work really well. Have you considered a patterned floor tile?

Ben thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the reply colour happy (and all your previous replies to my previous questions).

Just had a look on tops tiles. Is this the tile you were thinking off? http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod46990/sculpt-beige-tile.html

We have a few grey, cream and wood samples and these are the best of the bunch shown with a few different lights. The feel the creamy white tile may be fairly similar to the above toppstile one.

We do like pattern tiles but worry it could be a bit much given there is around 15m^2 of flooring on show.

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

Hi Ben, yes it is but believe me it is nothing like the naff picture. I teach colour theory and I obsessed about finding the right kitchen tiles. When we lifted the carpet the floor underneath was concrete, but a lovely warm grey. The only tiles we found with the same undertone was the Topps one. Worth getting a sample to try out. We opted in the end for an unglazed porcelain one because we had already committed to worktops etc. North facing rooms are a challenge though. I also love handmade mexican quarry tiles - so warm.

• PRO
    HBD Systems
    6 years ago

Morning!

I have just installed the same kitchen with oak flooring from howdens and a farrow and ball paint, great white I believe which goes perfectly! I can send a photo letter today!

Hannah

• Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wood off the kitchen is walnut original floorboards.

That Parquet LVT does look lovely.
  • tamp75
    6 years ago
    The grey tile seems to ground the kitchen but I agree it will look dark and gloomy if used overall. I think I'd go for a lighter flooring tile. It will make a huge difference to the space.
  • A S
    6 years ago
    We used a wood effect porcelain with our cashmere gloss kitchen.
  • Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    A S that floor tile looks great. Do you remember where it was from and what it was called?

I think a dark grey is being filled out. What do you all think of the lighter tile in the corner of the picture?
  • Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here it is on a brighter day.
  • PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    6 years ago

Hi Ben,

We can really see a light ashen wood working in this space - it'll complement your kitchen units and make a great contrast with your wooden tops. Parquet is very popular in kitchens at the moment and we can see why - it brings a lovely touch of the traditional to modern set ups. Feather Oak has a light grey tone but is warming too.

Feather Oak

Or you could opt for a plank in a similar grey tone just like our Dune Oak.

Dune Oak

Feel free to order samples from our website if you'd like a closer look :)

Hope the project goes well!

Best wishes, Hannah

• A S
    6 years ago
    I like the tiles suggested above.

They were purchased from a local supplier but can be found online. It is an Italian Brand, called castlevetro in the shade Vogue Beige. I quite liked the lightest shade that they have but it wasn't practical for us. As they are large tiles, there's minimal grout lines which is always a plus point.
  • PRO
    Topps Tiles
    6 years ago

Hi Ben,

We agree with colourhappy - Sculpt would look really lovely with the rest of your kitchen and the warmer undertone will help to give a cosier and more welcoming feel to your north facing kitchen.

Our Regional Reflections Langport tile could also be another good option if you'd prefer a matte finish.

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod46637/regional-reflections-langport-tile.html

Ben thanked Topps Tiles
  • PRO
    Floor Monster
    6 years ago

Hi there,

We have a few options that i believe would go really well with the counters.

The first option would be our Lucerne Herringbone!

We also have a laminate Herringbone that would tie in very nicely. It is our Islington Herringbone.

If you do have any queries or would like FREE samples please do not hesitate to get in touch via email, info@floormonster.co.uk or you can call us on 0141 887 5698.

Kind Regards,

Floor Monster Team

• Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So we have ordered lots of samples and still don't feel like we are much nearer. The floor has definitely been the most difficult part to choose (perhaps because it is finally the last decision to make).

We have decided to paint the wall F&B Wimborne White (white with a bit of yellow) to keep the room bright.

For the floor we really cant decide on light vs (warm) medium grey or even a wood colour. We have so many samples and I think it is just making it worse. We feel light should help keep the room bright but could make it all too plain and samey? Darker may give better contrast and more interesting? Wood may result in the room being too woody?

Lighting in the kitchen is currently really poor (we took the lights down for plastering as they are being replaced) but here is some pictures showing examples of flooring samples we are considering.

Most of the colours seem to be falling in these two camps. White oak vs a grey/smoke oak.

We are thinking we are going to go for LVT as it is working out slightly cheaper and should be slightly easier to maintain but in most samples we have a tile and LVT.

Any further input now you can see all the samples in place would be greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    Stone & Ceramic Warehouse
    6 years ago

Hi Ben,

Really nice kitchen!

We do a lovely soft light grey tile called Roma Stone. Its in 60x60cm which would be great for the space you have, its definitely not a cold grey which you should avoid in a North facing room,

Alternatively a wood effect porcelain tile would work well, we have many to choose from. They are much better suited to kitchens than real wood as you don't need to be concerned with maintaining them, and they wont stain!

Both of these options are in stock so I can post samples to you if you wish :)

You can contact me on jo@sacw.co.uk with all of your details,

• dawn_ramsay_rae
    6 years ago
    Hi , I had a really dark kitchen , always need lights on . We just changed to led downlights in cool white ( it's a natural light no blue tones ) WHAT a difference! Yes I still need lights on but it's a perfect natural light
  • Misha M
    6 years ago
    Hi Ben cal. See attached...maybe not great pic, but like you, we have pale walls and oak worktop in a kitchen that doesn't get much light. We went for parquet floor and love it.
    The pic doesnt show finished kitchen...we warmed it up w dark blue wall and lots of copper. Hope of some use!
    - Misha
  • MaHa H
    6 years ago
    this picture is from another user here and I think the tiles in it will suit your kitchen
  • Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are leaning towards a wood parquet in possibly a light wood/grey colour?

Painting in the room is now complete in G&B Wimborne White and it has really brighten up the room which is great!

• PRO
    Floor Monster
    6 years ago

Hi Ben,

We do have a couple of more options in grey herringbone. The first option would be our St. Moritz Herringbone!

We also have a new herringbone call Pebble.

If you do have any queries at all please do not hesitate to get in touch via email, info@floormonster.co.uk or you can call us on 0141 887 5698.

Kind Regards,

Floor Monster team

• PRO
    Andreea De Mirabela Design
    6 years ago

We have used natural stone in shades grey & cream for this grey & oak kitchen. Let me know if you need a hand. Much love from Andreea De Mirabela Design.

• Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

In the end we decided on a limed oak LVT parquet tile from Vüsta. We are very happy with how it has all turned out!

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

That looks really good.

• A S
    6 years ago
    You've done a great job; it looks lovely, but may be biased as we have a similar scheme!
  • J C
    6 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • laylabates
    6 years ago

Hi, your kitchen looks beautiful! came across threads as we too are currently debating diy kitchens cashmere or light grey, we have ordered cashmere and started to have doubts that it would be too dark. Though looking at yours I'm reassured again! I just wondered what wood worktop/and poss stain you have chosen? We looked at a solid wood oak but i thought it looked a bit yellowy.

(fab choice on floor too)

• Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The worktop has 2 coats of Wood Protector Clear Treatment and 3 coats of Oslo top oil clear matt. Seems to be holding up pretty well. Very easy to apply with foam brushes too.

• Martin Cook
    2 years ago

sooo, what did you end up with in the end?

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.