austincaitlin

Contrasting or matching wood floor for newly joined kitchen/liv room?

austincaitlin
9 years ago
I live in a small, 2 bedroom 1939 bungalow in Austin. I just took down the wall between my tiny kitchen and the living room. The floor in the living room and the rest of the house is the original long leaf pine from 1939 ...beautiful, honey reddish tones. The floor in the kitchen is old, battered linoleum. Originally the idea was to put pine in the kitchen and try to match. Now the contractor is saying he thinks it would look better to do a contrasting wood -- perhaps bamboo -- because it will be difficult to match the old and the new. There is a difference in the height of the floors...the kitchen floor is 1/4 " higher - this can't be changed. There will be some kind of molding/trim that will join the two floors. We're concerned that a light wood will look funny with the darkish pine. Also, if the idea is to make the space feel large, won't contrasting wood do the opposite? Any suggestion? Also, should the slats be in the same direction or different?

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.