meganlanephotos

Need help making my kitchen more shabby chic/farmhouse!

meganlanephotos
9 years ago
Hello,

My husband & I bought our home 15 months a go. It is a mobile home. Since then, we've been working like crazy to make it more my style. My favorite looks are shabby chic, beach cottage and french farmhouse. in the past few months, we've painted all of our kitchen cabinetry white. It had been regular wood tone. We also painted the ceiling & the wall behind the sink a very light pastel blue color and we painted the wall on the right flat white. We painted our 3 glass pendant lights a hammered metal color and then added a layer of off-white and sanded them to give them a weathered look. We replaced the light on the ceiling with a crystal chandelier.. and we bought woven woods natural shades for the two kitchen windows from Hunter Douglas. They look like beach straw in person.

The first picture shows the whole kitchen, but it is from 3 weeks a go so it doesn't show the new chandelier, blinds, painted pendants, etc. The second picture shows the new blinds, one of the painted pendants, and a cabinet curtain that I made this week for the sink. I wanted to give the kitchen a feminine farmhouse feel. Our kitchen is next to the living room area. I am attaching a 2 photos of the living room so you can see what colors I have used next to the kitchen. My children have the bedrooms and so we sleep in the living room. We do not want a pull-out sofa, so the bed has to stay for now. I eventually plan to buy Russian Folk Beds from Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic Couture for this room.

Anyway, I want to know what else I can do to the kitchen to make it look better. I want to keep with the styles I mentioned above that I love. I know the tile floor is very cold.. I am saving up to put whitewashed hardwood flooring in the living room, hallway and kitchen. Keep in mind that we are on a very tight budget and will be doing the work ourselves. I want the kitchen to flow better. I use a lot of pastel blues, sages and rose pink in the living room.. how could I implement that color pallet into the kitchen? Should I paint the bar stools? They're wood with wicker seating. If you see anything in the living room that might look nice in the kitchen instead, let me know that, as well. All advice is welcome and appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (22)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.