bandy_11

Redesigning layout of flat.

bandy_11
9 years ago
Hello

We have just become homeowners. Woo-hoo!

We would love some advice/opinions on changing the internal layout of the flat.

It is a former school building. Our bedroom is in the old building and the rest of the flat is a modern school extension. (We think it may have been an old laboratory or such like.)

As it is a converted space many there are quite a few stud walls. (These can be seen in the floor plan, they are the thinner lines in the middle.)

Our original thoughts to make the space more open plan by knocking the storage cupboard walls down. (It only houses the boiler) This would make the space to the side of the cupboard much more useable - perhaps a dining area? However we are worried that it might feel as if you are eating in the corridor!The hall is very dark so by knocking down the wall we would allow light into the hallway. (Annoyingly the floor plan does not include this window!!)

Our other idea is to make the flat into a 2 bed. It is 742 sq ft - the same size as many 2 beds. Could we somehow configure the space to add another room? Maybe where the cupboard is?

A little bit about how we use our home... We love open plan living and entertaining. We want a table that can be out all the time. We have friends/family to stay perhaps once every few months. A second bedroom would be useful but not at the expense of our everyday living space! We love the modern/minimal look and want to complement the industrial feel of the building.

We are very happy to move walls, but would be reluctant to to move utilities! We are keen to add value to the property but not blow the bank!

We would love to hear your wild ideas! Could we make the bathroom smaller? Move doorways?

I have included the original estate agents photos. (Decor not to our taste!!) They show the lounge/kitchen, the view of the cupboard from the lounge and the view from the front door of the cupboard.

Please ask if you need anymore information

Many thanks
bandy x

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.