saeedgoleh

Restoration of This wonderful silk and wool antique Persian carpet.

Imperial Rugs
9 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

For carpet lovers, sometimes it is hard to resist the temptation of buying a carpet even if it requires significant improvements to re capture its original look. Basically, by observing and contemplating, in split seconds you commit yourself to a massive challenge ahead. This extremely rare antique handmade silk and wool Persian carpet belonging to the first part of the 20th century was one of those challenges. Made in the city of Qum and measuring 300 x210cm (10’x6’7”), it seemed that it had lost its charm and splendid look due to years of negligence. That is why, restoring rare carpets becomes ever so exciting and if repaired well very much rewarding. The project of restoring this extraordinary rug back to its original state, took almost two years, as part of the challenge was to find various professionals to accept this work. However, I am delighted to announce that the project was finally completed and surplus my expectations. For those who are interested to know, the restorations were as follow: 1-Both ends re-done and secure 2-Salvages re-woven and look original 3- It was professionally stretched to become straight and flat 4-Some repiling on both silk and wool areas at the centre. 5- There was no re- colouring as I am fully against this on any carpet in particular antique ones. 6-Reducing the tension due to scratching Apart from a few localised areas of wear, commiserated with age, the rug has now regained its original look and for sure can bring elegance to those who appreciate exquisite antique carpets around their homes for many years to come. The two pictures showing the centre of the rug, captures this wonderful work before and after repairs. Visit our website for more details about our antique and decorative handmade rugs and Kilims at www.imperialrugs.co.uk

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.