laurie_dreesen

New house, old kitchen needs lots of design help

L Boymom
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Hi! We just purchased a 1970's single-story home and I'm excited to tackle the kitchen, though I'm sort of at a "paralysis by analysis" impasse and am looking for design ideas. The room is essentially 13ft x 22ft and has concrete floors, stained a dark grey with an almost green hue, and I don't plan on altering it at all. The cabinets are also staying, but the countertops will have to go. I'm looking for a material that would go well with the floor AND cabinets, and I'm also partial to this paint color for an accent wall (back wall?):
http://www.serenaandlily.com/Fabric-Paint/Fabric-Paint-All-Paint-Persimmon

I will also be looking for a butcher block-top island, if anyone has any recommendations regarding that.

Anyway, thoughts, suggestions or ideas much appreciated! We have about a month before we need to move in!!

Comments (59)

• mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    if you do the butcher block on the island and leave it to the right of the stove, that will be fine with ONE other kind of countertop! hahaha!
    but seriously...you can have as many countertop materials as you want my dear!
    I've been trying to find some interesting L-shaped islands, but they are almost impossible to find for some reason.???? I did find a couple of other cool modern examples that you might like. But most of the islands shown are traditional. ;(
    You will like the stainless steel backsplash. They also have some mosaics that are mixed with stainless, glass & ceramic. Nice as well. But first you may want to decide on paint colors and countertops, then decide backsplash. There are also some interesting sizes in the stainless steel tiles. I have 1'x12' in my kitchen and I love them. Long and skinny. Ordered them online from an ebay seller from florida (?). But they will send samples for free or a minimum price. That's something that can be done later after you move in, as far as a non-messy project.
  • Related Discussions

Interior design ideas required on old 1920s house in London

Q

Comments (14)
    The fireplaces in the bedrooms are decorative. Living room is a real open fire and the study (with the wooden fireplace surround) has been converted to gas. We were lucky to acquire three of the fireplaces from the house directly across the road. They cost £500 which I thought was a bargain until I realised they would cost me £2,500 to restore them! The wooden surround was in the house when we bought it and we had to buy the cast iron insert. The surround is actually mahogany, I'm not actually that keen on it but couldn't bring myself to rip it out! I would get to know the neighbours and see what original features they have in their houses. Be careful with architectural salvage, for example salvaged doors if you need them have often been dipped in acid and the glue joints tend to fail after a while. We employed a conservation architect to restore the house and I felt his design was one which would stand the test of time. We had folding doors in our last house. These timber doors are bespoke made and look/feel quality. Just a bit more sophisticated.
    ...See More

Need help with new kitchen design

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Colette, in answer to your questions; American fridges are great if you have a family and need to refrigerate a lot of produce however they are quite bulky and tend to stand proud of the depth of the worktops and cabinets. An integrated fridge freezer may be enough in terms of storage and this will free up some space for you. The sink looks great where you have it. If you have the drainer on the left then it will give you some elbow room. Downdraft extractors are great for islands as they as so discreet. Personally I don't like large canopy extractors, they're a fairly ugly feature. The run of skinny wall units above the sink looks a little odd, especially with the one longer unit to the right. Also, the units above the fridge freezer will be very hard to access. If you can bear to lose this storage space I think it would look better without the cupboards and maybe have some bespoke shelves instead, something a little different....there's plenty of inspiration on Houzz. Happy to help again if you're stuck, I know how tricky some kitchens are to plan as there's a lot to consider. Best regards Caroline
    ...See More

Need help with small 1930's kitchen/diner design

Q

Comments (29)
    We had a similar project and gutted the house. Rewire replaster all walls and ceilings. We restored the original parquet flooring and then new carpets everywhere else. Knocked through between kitchen and dining room, new garage roof. New doors and work surface but kept the original kitchen units. Kept the bathroom but put in a new floor. Did this for about £10k. Now 18 months later we're looking at extending the kitchen diner into a big open plan room going out the back as you have suggested but also out to the side. Our neighbours have done similar and we think we can get it done for about 30-40k not including the kitchen. The side extension means a fair bit of structural steel so if you don't do this then it saves a fair bit - our other neighbours have done this. We want an open but defined space so we're looking at keeping a pillar (also cheaper) then having an L shaped kitchen diner around a more relaxed sitting and entertaining area. The idea being that for dinner parties you mill around and have drinks in here before going to eat. Also can have friends round for coffee etc while the front living room remains the primary TV watching area. We'd keep a small boot room off the back for the dog, a pantry in the middle and a toilet at the front. See below for some pictures that illustrate our plans. These are mine and just awaiting our architects plans. In summary I'd get it up to a basic standard until you've got a bit more then go big, although as you say with your cheap labour you might get what you want for the money!
    ...See More

Help needed for new kitchen in Victorian house

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Ellie, I know what you mean and that would make sense - but I have a window in the back of the living area which lets in lots of light to the main room. We are on a main road so the shutters at front of the house are always half closed for privacy. The bottom window gives us a pretty view onto the garden and lots of light. I'd hate to lose this within a toilet/utility room in a house which is already quite dark, especially the hallways. I could lose the utility room and just incorporate my white goods and larder within the new kitchen area so could just somehow squeeze a cloakroom in there somewhere. I'll keep trying. Thanks so much for your reply and thoughts. It's really appreciated.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    11 years ago
    Yes, a range hood would be a definite plus, both in terms of air quality & cooking comfort, and updating the style of the kitchen environment.

For a selection of 200+ creative designer range hoods, please feel free to view our Houzz profile and visit our website, www.FuturoFuturo.com.

If you have any questions about kitchen ventilation, our representatives will be glad to provide you with a consultation - (800) 230-3565 (M-F, 9AM-6PM EST).
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    jagood, from your lips to more kitchen professionals' ears! We wish more designers & architects were as aware as you are, of the huge difference a range hood makes. It's not just about smoke & odors, it's about long-term health benefits, too!

We even wrote an article detailing the multi-faceted benefits of having a range hood: http://www.futurofuturo.com/rangehood-FAQ-10-reasons-to-have-a-range-hood.php
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow, this is all very useful information!! I have 2 small kids and health & safety are WAY more of a priority than countertops. I'll definitely look into it. The whole-house fan was supposedly the answer to noxious gas concerns but I guess we'll have to crunch some numbers as to whether or not it's truly effective for that purpose. Thanks again. I guess I'm in the market for range hoods!
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    A range hood sucks air from around the range; their shapes are designed to do exactly that. The whole house fan is tremendously efficient at sucking air from any available opening. THey are very, very good at getting hot air out on summer nights, for example. But they are way overkill for a gas range. With a gas range you want to get rid of the products of combustion.

Recirculating vent hoods are totally useless (by definition) at removing the products of combustion. They are also almost useless at attracting grease to their metal filters.

Even if you don't have a wall behind the stove, you can install a vent hood directly on the ceiling. Here's a fashionable one:
    Cavaliere Euro AP238-PSD Wall Mount Range Hood · More Info
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    laurie.. I have a few questions for you. In that I am still considering a stained concrete floor , can you tell me if you put this in or was it there and tell me what its like to live with? Any negatives? I see one area that seems to have a blotchy effect and some scratches. Also they did not do under the frig so I guess you need to put one in the same spot.

also can you tell me about the butcher black? what its like to work on and does it scratch up or do you always use a cutting board? Did you put this in or buy house with it? Do you like it? I was thinking it could be a temporary fix for me as I am so undecided. If its not too expensive.
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods.... Its unfortunate so many microwaves are made for over the range and make the customer feel this is a good option. I just spent $800 on a micro/convection oven combo for over the gas range. It has a more powerful vent than I had before but my house does not have an exterior exit for a hood and I have solar panels on the roof. In some cases it would be very expensive to alter all of this. It makes it difficult for some of us unless we have a huge budget to reconfigure the house.
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I wish I could answer your questions about living with the stained concrete floors but we have yet to move in so I have not lived here yet! These flors, by the way, are COVERED with dirt, dust and crud. This house has not been lived in for more than 6 months. It looks like the butcher block countertop by the sink has significant water damage (hence, we're changing it out for natural stone). Let me see if I can find a picture of the floor before it was covered in dirt:
    (this is the front entry- shows the more uniform color)
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Are there any "budget" methods for adding a vent system? This involves cutting through the ceiling, attic and roof??? Seems like an enormous job - much more than simply purchasing a new hood. This is going to be a hard sell to the hubby, but I'm all for it if the alternative is too dangerous.
  • jagood
    11 years ago
    While on the subject of health, I noted in one of your other discussions that you will be remodeling a bathroom. Another thing to be aware of is that some houses from the 1970s had materials that contained asbestos. You may want to get the flooring material in the bathroom tested before you begin to tear it out. Hopefully, it doesn't contain asbestos, but some flooring did. Also, some ceilings, especially the "cottage cheese" sprayed ceilings. You can also research this online, and find instructions for how to take out small samples safely to have them tested.
  • lulamarie
    11 years ago
    Congrats on your new home. The concrete floors are a cool feature. They are also tiring on the legs. You may want to purchase some rubber type kitchen mats if you spend a decent amount of time in the kitchen like this or similar:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=17729884&findingMethod=rr

I agree with the comment above that you should create a full wall behind the stove, add an over gas range microwave above. Because you don't have much upper level cabinet space, I'd recommend adding additional cabinets to the right of the stove...or open shelving like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00011428/
    (helpful hint - all of those freestanding range hoods/fans are super expensive)

Here's a few "butcher block"esque options for the island:

1. http://www.lumberliquidators.com/catalog/thumbnail.jsp?parentCategoryId=18&categoryId=21&nonFlooring=1&nsa=1
    2. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90057855/

You'll need a really good sealant since liquids are bad for wood:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50070378/

As for paint, because your cabinets are basically "orange," I don't know if I'd paint them the persimmon color (unless you are planning to paint your cabinets).

When you go to the store to buy any stainless steel appliances, check to see if fingerprints show up easily. I went with white appliances because I refused to spend the extra money coupled with the added task of wiping down fingerprints every 5 minutes. Also, you can't put magnets on stainless steel, and I like putting stuff on my fridge (all personal preferences I realize).

Best of luck to you.
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much for the input! Yes, we're looking at a huge job for the bathroom. Asbestos is always a possibility. We will likely not demo the floor but we will be tearing down walls in the bathroom (the closet) so it would be good to find out what's in there. These are great ideas! So, you think the Persimmon would be a bad idea for an accent wall in the kitchen? I was actually thinking of going with this:
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6627-emberglow/

Maybe on the far side, in the dining area...
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So, I am thoroughly freaked out now about using a gas stove/range with no vent. The cold hard truth is we don't have the budget (or time, or energy) to add a wall, cut through the ceiling and roof and run ductwork and a venting system and buy a range hood with proper vent system. I have been looking at induction cooktops as a possible alternative. Maybe we just won't use that stove that came with the house. I think we will also invest in a BBQ station for year-round outdoor cooking of the meats, and I'll do what I can to trap grease manually while cooking inside (any ideas??). These are the tangled webs we weave!! Thanks so much again for the input!
  • PRO
    Cottage Craft Tile
    11 years ago
    If you're looking for a traditional craftsman look to compliment the butcher block, you may get some ideas from the photo gallery on our website www.jvtile.webs.com Let me know if you have any questions...Jim / Cottage Craft Tile
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    Laurie, don't freak out about the hood yet. Look on ebay. I know of one seller "markdown madness" located in ny, that sells appliances and hood vents. You can sometimes get a great deal if bidding from them. Just look at the shipping charges. Not sure where you are, but they have pick-up as well. I'm sure there are some other sellers on ebay as well, but that's just one of them that I am familiar with.
  • lulamarie
    11 years ago
    Laurie,
    The wall is already half-way done and looks like it already has electricity - bonus. Since you're having other work done, have an electrician look it over when s/he's there. Have a carpenter build the finish the wall to the ceiling and finish the drywall/trim work. You can do the painting to save money. Install a microwave.

Above the range, you can install a microwave. You can have it installed for recirculation such that it sucks up the smoke, filters the air, and the air then blows out into your house. Many homes have the microwave over the oven for this exact reason. I did a quick search and here's one that would work for you: http://www.lowes.com/pd_329000-46-MMV1164WS_4294735523__?productId=3185729&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=#Infoandguides_tab

Once you move in, you'll notice real quick that you don't have much cabinet space at all. I know you might hate the idea of "closing off" the kitchen, but extending the half-wall to the ceiling will allow you to add open shelving (the Ikea Grundtal series works wonders for cheap) or cabinetry (although it might be difficult to find a match) to the right of the stove. You also may want to purchase something like this for the wall beside the door in the kitchen for storing items as well: http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Garage-Storage-Free-Standing-Shelves/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb9pd/R-100656306/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UN8FmqyxkWA

Considering you have kids, you will exhaust yourself and your budget without a functional stove/oven. Based on what you've shared thus far, I would consider this a top priority in the home.
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks - these are great points. I'm not wild about the re-circulating of air. It makes sense to make venting a priority, but to the outside. I think our compromise is, it's going to have to be done but not at this point. We will likely need a kitchen island with cabinets, and maybe at that point we will get rid of the gas stove and put a convection cooktop on the island, and install a vent hood at that point or some solution to the grease/vapor/particle problem. This will have to wait until we can save up more dinero for the project.
  • lulamarie
    11 years ago
    For what it's worth...

A convection slide-in stove/oven for an island costs $2,000
    (I'm also not at fan of stovetops in an island with children around. Islands are popular spots for homework and mail to land...paper)
    Installing a new island with electrical will cost a minimum of $1500
    Countertops for island with 4 finished edges 2'X6' = $200 (laminate) - $500 (granite)
    An island hood will cost $800-$1000 plus installation, likely costly
    New cabinetry (will be difficult to find a match) and countertops for hole where previous oven lived=$500
    How will you use that side of the kitchen now?
    Plus the hassle of inspections
    Conservative total: $5,000-$6000

Your current gas stove is "free"
    If the power goes out, you can still cook.
    Finishing the wall $1000 (labor and supplies)
    Adding some open shelves = $100-$200
    Over range microwave = $260
    Ability to use stove/oven=priceless
    Total: $1,460
  • jagood
    11 years ago
    Laurie, I can definitely understand your stress when the budget doesn't allow certain things, because I've been there. It is not going to cause your family any huge health threat on a short term basis if you use the gas stove for a while without a hood ventilator. (Unless of course, someone has an allergy or lung problem already.) It is a very high priority to get this done, but your ideas for mitigating the problem in the meanwhile are very thoughtful. I agree with you that it would be far better long term to get a hood with ducts that vent to the outside, and you can find them at very reasonable prices. I do not recommend microwaves over a range unless there is absolutely no way to vent to the outside.

It may seem overwhelming to make the changes (wall up to ceiling, ductwork through the attic, etc) but it really isn't hard if you take it one step at a time. You can learn what is required by reading how-to books (Sunset makes some with good illustrations) that you can find at the library, or just spend time researching online. Almost all appliance manufacturers include links to installation manuals online, so you can even research how to install a particular hood before you buy it. Except for any electrical work that may be required, most handy DIYs could do the work. And you probably already have electricity in the wall behind the stove if the stove has self-starting sparker units installed, which most modern gas stoves have, so perhaps it would be fairly inexpensive to have an electrician prepare what is needed to add a vent hookup.

Where the ducting goes once it penetrates the ceiling is also dependent upon what is in the attic, the strength of the duct fan, etc - in other words, you have to know the specifications of the particular unit you buy and abide by those in the ductwork for maximum efficientcy. You may have a choice of penetrating the roof or penetrating the side of the house. Either way, there is "flashing" that makes the job easier and ensures no leaks. Again, not hard if you know what you are doing and have the right stuff. The key to getting this done is (1) Research, so you know what is required. (2) laying out the plan - step by step (3) Having the right people lined up to complete the job in a timely manner.

You willl have the time to do this after you move into your home, so please don't panic! I also think it is a greater priority and will be much cheaper than building an island. ( In the meanwhile, you could place your kitchen table closer to the main cooking area and use it for additional preparation space. ) And even if you put a stovetop in the island, you'd still need to have a ventilation system for any type of cooktop, not just a gas range, although I think it is more important with a gas range. And putting ventilation in the island will be far more difficult then putting it where the existing gas stove is.

I think you have the bones for a good future kitchen - the window lets in a lot of natural light, and you don't need to replace the flooring. The dishwasher seems to be too far from the sink but perhaps you can address that problem when you add new countertops if the drawer unit is separate from the sink unit. I hope you are very happy in your new home.
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much for the thoughtful response! I sincerely appreciate the encouragement and the ideas!!! :)
    Happy New Year!!!
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    How about putting the stove plus an eventual range where the fridge spot is? It would be on an exterior wall and you cold vent it directly outside.you also have a ceilin there to hang it Only thing then would be the wiring, you need a special big duplex for stoves.it is between two windows, so better general ventilation. Budget is always an issue, but you could add a cabinet to the left of it, for more space.
    just where to put the fridge then?
    Butcherblock is wonderful, just make sure you always wipe spills immediately and don't cut fruit and veggies on it directly, just use paper towel underneath or a cutting board, because it stains.Treat the clean surface with special oil, google that, but we use olive oil on ours and has worked wonders.every few weeks, work it in and let dry, then wipe again.This prevents it from cracking and wear and tear.
    An island is a perfect idea for the space.
    I would stay away from orangey colors with the wood.
    Countertops now come in recycled glass and paper and everything in between.i found ourHome Depot style place with a kitchen centre had more options in the Formica colour range then any other kitchen or countertop place. It is reasonable, easy to use( but can leave burn marks), and lasts forever...if you would go neutral in general you could do apple green formica countertops.
    If you are adventurous, you could pour and polish your own concrete countertops to match the floor...Check pintrest,also some people have reused old butcherblock, resanded it and made islands out of them.
    I would have more storage, cabinets or baskets under island if it is a table.you can always use more storage with kids!
    There are lots of resonable range hoods out there, check online too, BUT also check the decibel sound rating, some range hoods are cheap but super noisy...
    Sometimes it is best to live with something for a while, to see what works and what you cannot live with and then take it from there.
    Otherwise great place, love the cabinets and hardware, have fun moving in!
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of moving the stove to the fridge area, thereby creating a space for a vent to the outside. Where would the fridge go, then? On the wall opposite the sink? If there's an island is that creating a space issue - is it unrealistic to have to constantly go around the big island to get to the fridge? Then back around to the sink? Maybe so, but it might be worth it to have proper ventilation...
    I'll attach some more pictures of the opposite wall (this is the wall I wanted to pain the persimmon color (or, actually the "sunset" color by SW)

BTW, I'm not wild about green, unless it's as a small. complimentary accent piece. I don't think I could ever paint a wall green. The floor has enough green in it that a wall color with green will likely make me feel like I'm a bug living on the body of Kermit the Frog. Just sayin'.
    :)
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Except, I'm pretty sure the exterior of that wall is solid brick...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We completely understand your concerns regarding venting to the outside - most of the time, it is a giant headache as well as an additional expense. What we would recommend is, once you've more-or-less finalized the kitchen layout, get a competent contractor to take a look at the space and try to figure out what would be the shortest vent path from the hood location to the outside.

To get around limited-clearance areas, it's possible to convert a round duct to a rectangular one, for example a 6" round duct is equivalent to a 10" x 3 1/2". If it's impossible to go into the ceiling, then a small flat soffit below the ceiling could contain the duct and run it to the wall or window. And so on, and so on - there are plenty of "tricks" that can be used to set up venting. P.S. You can drill through brick, too, having the outside wall made of brick is not a deal-breaker.

Let's put it this way - if it's possible to create an outside duct in an "impossible" situation like a high-rise Miami condo, with concrete floors & ceilings, and floor-to-ceiling glass windows, it's definitely possible to do it in a "normal" house where you can actually cut into the structure.

All that being said, budget-wise it may make sense to just go with what you have now (like what lulamarie said), and worry about venting out later on, after everything else is settled. Just make sure to plan for the future outside duct in advance.

Hope this helps!
  • tomjones44
    11 years ago
    I have a friend with a "Jenn Aire" type of range with down draft venting. I can see the fan pulling the steam and fumes downward. Fumes are then vented through a pipe underneath the house. Would this not be an economical considerationn since you mentioned that you may be changing the stove anyway? (Asking the experts).
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think the downdraft vents overall are not as effective as overhead vents. I've read lots of reviews and some experts give the advice to go with nothing at all rather than spend money on downdraft vents. I feel the same way about re-circulating vents. I think it's all or nothing.
  • tomjones44
    11 years ago
    His down draft vent is not recirculating and the fan is very strong. I can actually see all the fumes and steam being pulled down, and since it's vented through a pipe to the outside it seemes like a viable option. This would require less construction and therefore less cost.
  • tomjones44
    11 years ago
    A lot to think about Laurie. Isn't this a wonderful and helpful site? Would love to see pictures of your finished kitchen. Good luck!
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That would be the perfect feature for the kitchen I'm in now, as the house here is pier & beam and everything's negotiable. This new house is solid concrete and brick everywhere. I'd rather not touch the floor if we can help it, but maybe there is a way to vent through the wall over by where the fridge is supposed to go. If that downdraft vent works I would use it!
  • windowpanerose
    11 years ago
    down-draft venting would work but requires a range or stovetop without a raised back, with space behind it for the pop-up vent, and that type of venting is expensive to buy and to install.
  • lulamarie
    11 years ago
    - If you put the stove to the left of the dishwasher, you won't have any cabinet space for pots/pans, etc.
    -I'm not a huge fan of an oven right beside the dishwasher.
    -You currently have zero space for any pantry goods. You barely have enough cabinets for glasses and plates. The upper cabinet to the left of the sink looks extremely narrow.
    -Without finishing the half wall to the ceiling, you will have an efficiency-sized kitchen in functionality.
    -Downdraft vents are super expensive. If you get a cheaper one, it is super loud. It also doesn't work well with gas - some models "pull" the flame toward the vent.
    -You could finish the half wall to the ceiling, move the stove over a foot to the right, move the existing cabinet to the right as well. This gives you more counterspace between the sink and the stove (the busiest spot in the kitchen).
    -Talk to a contractor about how to best run the vent - perhaps up and left so that the air exits through the kitchen wall (it doesn't necessarily have to go up to the roof I don't believe).
    -Honestly, your cabinets were not well done. To increase the value of your home and enjoy it while you live there, I would go ahead and replace the cabinets. By doing so, you can essentially redesign the kitchen in whatever way makes the most sense to you. New cabinetry is costly, but a worthwhile investment.
    -I think you have room for a pantry to the left of the fridge. If designed right, a microwave could be positioned in the center of the pantry space with a cabinet above and below.
    -Not sure if you have a fridge yet, but a double door works nicely in a kitchen with an island (door doesn't swing as far out into the room when open).
    -If adding an island, I'd keep it about 2' wide, and go as long as you can. (You need 42" clearance on each side of the island for a comfortable walkway.) With an overhang, you can add two stools at the short end of the island by the dining area.
  • PRO
    Appliances Connection
    11 years ago
    Congratulations on your new home! This seems like a great time for new beginnings and redesign. I'm sure it's been said but I think it is really important to pick 1 style and 1 personality for each of your rooms and plan accordingly.

I agree with lulamarie that it would be great if you could redo your cabinets as well. They don't seem to match your vision. More importantly, you should probably replace your appliances. It will instantly make your kitchen much more modern and your idea of doing all stainless steel will give it a sense of completion and consistency.

I agree that it would be ideal to have a range hood, but I see that the layout of your kitchen makes that a little difficult. I don't know how you feel about the window over the sink, but I've seen a remodel where they sealed that window space to create a wall. That may give you some freedom to maybe move things around. That will give you a lot more freedom to choose what appliances you want and where you want them.

Also think about replacing your sink with something more modern and stainless steel fixtures like this Vigo sink and faucet. This particular sink is a little pricey but you get the idea. I'd love to take a look at the current bathroom as well if you have any pictures! I'm currently working on a bathroom ideabook and we have ideas on our pinterest boards if you want to take a look. http://pinterest.com/nyappliances/
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    It all depends on your budget in the end. Moving, renovating and having a family is expensive.you have to set priorities. Sure it would be nice to completely redo the place as many suggested, but I guess then you would have simply contracted out everything. but you are here, as,ing for advice to work with what you have.
    A few more thoughts:
    If the whole gas combustion byproduct is an issue, and you are not totally set on gas, then I would sell that stove and get an electric one. If you dont want the whole range next to the dishwasher, you could have a glass stovetop only. We had a Jenn-Aire one withjust glass, no buttons sticking up, so you can use the surface as a countertop if neccessary, just be careful not to scratch it. You could put the oven under the counter where your current range is, since there is already electricity.
    We got a great rangehood, very pro looking at a place called kitchenhoods.ca. They are between $400-800. Im sure there is a place in the States like that.
    Another fridge option is to have undercounter fridges in your island. Drawersfridges are handy, regular door ones you have to lean down everytime but are less expensive.
    I saw you liked a big harvest table on one of your photos. This would act as an island if you put it in the middle if the kitchen. I would then have a "wall of cabinets" with the fridge on the opposite side for pantry items. Ikea makes great and resonable cabinets and in your big space it would be ok to have different cabinets, lets say not wood, n that side.we supplemented our old oak cabinets with high gloss white on the other side and plays nicely off each other.
    If the walking around is an issue, you could opt for a square island, not directly opposite the fridge, maybe just across the stove. You could even hang your pots over it, that would break up the huge space visually a bit, if you are into that and have pretty pots.
    By the way, sorry for the green suggestion being totally off!
    With all the thinking and " issues" dont forget to enjoy your new home and understand that a lot of things simply take time and/or compromise.
    Happy New Year!
  • jagood
    11 years ago
    Laurie, I've been following your two discussions with interest because I think it is so great when young families are willing to put in sweat equity to move themselves into better and better living situations. We have remodeled four homes and built a "dream" home, and did almost all of the remodeling work ourselves so I know what you are facing. We also raised two boys.

I really like the basic floorplan of your house and it has a lot of potential to become an emotionally satisfying home. (I did notice that the floorplan you posted on the other discussion doesn't seem to match the photo you posted above that shows the kitchen area from the living room. I think the utility room isn't drawn quite right.) I understand budget.... and I think we've gotten ahead of your immediate concerns with our suggestions. I think you should pick a color you like, paint your kitchen, and move in as is. Nothing will tell you what you need more than living in a home for a while, and you have the option of taking your time to draw your plans and shop around and research and talk everything over before you begin projects.

The good things (that I can see from your posts and photos): windows let in natural light in kitchen work and eating area - don't ever close any of them off! You have a direct line of sight to the back yard door when you enter the house - that's wonderful for a future door that is mostly glass, so you have a long view to walk toward the light as you enter the house. Your central hallways are another very good feature - you do not need to use the living room as a hallway. The privacy gradient in the home is perfect (common areas first, then more private spaces.) Inside utility/laundry is a luxury lots of people would love to have. A pantry closet in your kitchen and a coat closet in your entry is also a great thing that lots of houses don't have. You have two full bathrooms, so will have one to use while you remodel the master bath. You have a fireplace in the living room and it looks like it will be relatively easy to place the furniture in that room. You've made a great choice in a fixer-upper house and I hope you'll be very happy there.

The negatives as I see them are the same as you have seen - need for a more functional and pleasing master bath room and a kitchen that functions well. The bathroom looks original. We once had a vanity like you have - the one without a sink - in an early house. The kitchen looks like somebody without adequate funds redid it. Unfortunately those are expensive fixes and take a long time to plan properly, but you have the time.

I recommend and think you will enjoy reading books by Sarah Susanka - especially her book on remodeling. Look her up online. There are videos you can watch too. You may be able to purchase her books on half.com if you enjoy learning about remodeling and home design that meets our emotional needs. It's one of my passions, because I think home is our sanctuary and how it functions and the structure and flow is more important than the color we paint a room or the fabric we use on our chairs. (Susanka does too.) If the function and flow and natural light is right, an almost empty room that is clean and serene can seem like a spot we want to occupy. (It's not that I think the decorative finishes are unimportant, but to me they are icing on the cake, and the cake is more important to get right.) I think if you move in, take your time, and keep the integrity of the house intact as you make improvements you'll end up with what you want. Happy New Year!
  • PRO
    Deli Johnson
    11 years ago
    New counter..
  • lulamarie
    11 years ago
    @jagood has a wise point of view. your house has great light and loads of potential. if you only have one month before you move in, i wouldn't rush any of your remodeling efforts either. i would not destroy the bathroom before you have a plan in place for the whole house. as many have mentioned, you could reconfigure things so many different ways to make your house more awesome - but doing so is expensive. in the bathroom, plumbing is the killer expense wise. if you move anything with the plumbing, the bill gets steep fast. at the same time, you don't want to put all new fancy tiles and fixtures in a bathroom, if a year or two later, you plan to reconfigure your layout. the same with the kitchen. it wouldn't be wise to add stone countertops to your kitchen, and then realize that you hate your cabinets and desire to change things around. also, you can live without a stove/oven for a while, it's just inconvenient: http://www.thekitchn.com/what-ive-learned-from-7-months-140857

while it's ideal to remodel before you move-in, if you complete your remodel in sections and can seal of those areas (to help prevent the dust from going all over the house), you'll be fine. so as jagood said, only work on one bathroom at a time. or sleep in the "office" room while remodeling in the back.

i am a first-time homeowner who bought a fixer upper at age 28. with the help of my dad, we demolished and cleaned up everything ourselves. it took three times longer than we thought it would and about double the expense. from what i hear, this is common. anyway, we did the design. we bought the materials, hauled them over to the house, had everything ready to go, so when the carpenter arrived, he had everything he needed to just work. i didn't put in high end appliances and fancy fixtures because i couldn't afford it at the time, plus i wanted to be able to have some money to buy furniture and cute curtains and all. now with my house, the improved layout is amazing and it looks great, not to mention how much pride you in feel in doing it yourself, and gratefulness for all those who helped you. my friends all came together and helped me paint my whole house....took a month, but i saved $14,000. and when they come over, they feel pride too. so now, because my house is in a desirable location, if i move, i'll put in all the fancy stuff (whatever is in style) to sell and will make out like a bandit.

like you, the house i bought was not loved. it totally stinks to have to deal with planning all this crap when all you really want to do is decorate and make it feel like home. at the same time, it's the biggest investment of your life, it's your house, and you want to make it something special. it's true, you can't have everything happen all at once. the good news, is that it's yours and you have many years to build it into something you love.

you love the orange, paint it orange!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Kitchenhoods.ca hoods are NOT "Made in Italy". The brand Spagna Vetro is made in China, and they used to at least have some shame by calling it "Italian Style" or "Italian Design". I see now they've dispensed with any semblance of honesty and are calling $ 300 Chinese hoods "Made In Italy".

Being familiar with our production costs, as well as the price ranges of other Italy-based range hood manufacturers, I can say with 100% certainty that there is absolutely no way that a sub-$500 range hood is made in Italy.

UPD:

From the kitchenhoods.ca website:

"Q: Where are your products made?
    All of our products are manufactured from our own facility in China and directly imported to our warehouse here in Vancouver, Canada."

...answers that one.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @Laurie Dreesen: seconding the opinion that downdrafts are not as effective as overhead range hoods. Plus, consider the ducting, which will have to go down through the counter, make a turn, run below the floor, and typically make at least 1 more turn to exit outside. The more turns in a duct system, the lower the performance. Also, the cost of ripping up the floor to install a duct may be more than installing a duct in the wall/ceiling.
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @lulamarie and jagood - thank you so much for your thoughtful responses and for taking an interest in my situation. You guys really captured the spirit of what's going on here. Most of our budget is being spent on a new a/c and possibly a heat pump (the furnace may or may not be good - we will find out this week), new windows, and a bathroom remodel. I'm trying to be logical about floor plan and use of space but I'm also very emotional about my decisionmaking when it comes to my home.

Thank you so much for recommending the author and the blog link - I will check both of these out and dive in! Again, thank you

(PS - the drawing of the utility room is accurate - you can see the door to the utility hall (dark door) in the first picture of kitchen from living room, and then you can see the pantry door (painted white) from the view within the kitchen. That utility hall has no climate control whatsoever, which

Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Appliances Connection
    11 years ago
    Laurie,

I completely agree that you should be sticking to a very strict budget and spending now on things that matter the most. Your remodel can always come to fruition over a series of stages. Older houses always require a bit more work, but they have charm and character that new homes often don't. I think you can use that to your advantage as you slowly plan your stages. For example, I once lived in an apartment that used to be a large house built in 1918. My landlord added modern touches (fixtures and appliances) to the original frame, walls and windows of the apartment. It gave it a completely unique look. My point is to have short-term visions that slowly build up to a long-term vision. You don't want to invest in something now just to end up disposing of it.

I'm really glad you are looking into smarter ways to update the house like paint. I know this can be emotional, but always remember that it's your home and you can always change it. It's all a part of the fun, so just enjoy it!
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That's what is so great about these discussion boards - I get so much input and some can be filed away under "big picture projects" and some are completely relevant for the short term goal of just getting the place ready to move in. I appreciate the whole spectrum of responses!
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    Just checking in to see how you are doing... How is the new house coming along?
  • L Boymom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! It's been pretty stressful but we're making good progress. The kitchen has been pushed to the back burner for now (accidental pun) although we did get new appliances namely, a monster of a fridge that BARELY fit through our biggest exterior door). The bathroom is taking longer than expected and we discovered some vent pipes that needed re-routing that were in the wall we took down. The shower stall in that back bathroom must've been a nuclear fallout shelter, the way it was built in there. Now we are just trying to stay in budget and get it all done.

We have decided to paint the back wall of the kitchen (dining area actually) a blue shade, though we are deliberating on exactly what color. Everyone is working really hard and doing their best but this is a monster, I tell ya! Thanks for checking in! I'll post some update pictures soon. :)
  • PRO
    Kitchen & Bath Source
    8 years ago

Please visit our 10,000 Square Foot showroom in White Plains, NY www.kbskitchen.com

We offer Complete Design and Renovations for Kitchens & Baths

• PRO
    Kitchen & Bath Source
    8 years ago

Please visit our 10,000 Square Foot showroom in White Plains, NY www.kbskitchen.com

We offer Complete Design and Renovations for Kitchens & Baths

• PRO
    Kitchen & Bath Source
    7 years ago

Please Contact us Today (914) 946-8600

KBS / Kitchen and Bath Source, located at 50 Virginia Road, in White Plains, New York is Westchester County’s premier full service kitchen and bath cabinet, design, remodeling and installation showroom. Our large 10,000 sq. ft. showroom features more than 40 hands-on cabinet displays, with affordable kitchen and bath cabinets from today's most popular manufacturers: Plain & Fancy, Medallion Cabinetry, UltraCraft, Ronbow, and KBS Signature,our exclusive line of affordable inset cabinetry. Kitchens, baths, home offices, and media and entertainment rooms are just a few of the many exciting spaces you'll find in our showroom. Kitchen and Bath Source is the leader in kitchen design and remodeling.
    We offer a wide range of products and services: cabinets and cabinetry, countertops made of durable hardwood, granite, marble, exotic stone, Cambria and Caesarstone as well as complete remodeling, design and installation services. Our kitchen design service is complimentary and our expert staff will help you every step of the way.

At KBS / Kitchen and Bath Source, our goal is to help you affordably create and install the kitchen, bath or custom space of your dreams

www.kbskitchen.com

Thanks,

Nicole

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    6 years ago
    I would go white with the counters to contrast against the floor color. Don’t install an island, instead get a cart with a butcher top. Your kitchen already has a peninsula and it’s already on the small side it will be good to have the flexibility of moving the cart under the window next to the fridge. I agree you should try to get a new dishwasher and fridge in stainless like the stove. If it was up to me, and the budget allowed, i would get rid of the peninsula and install the stove against the wall. Only then will an island look good and you could have a vent over the range. Otherwise try not to install a fixed island to keep the space open. Also at the corner wall if you could afford it, install a corner bench with a round table it would look perfect on that spot. Hope your renovation comes out great
  • drdeb1234
    6 years ago
    Really. Old. Post.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    6 years ago
    Jajaja i realized how old it was after I posted the comment. Sorry
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.