eccab77

Help me design my main bedroom please

Mrs M
12 April, 2015
Hello houzzers!
I'm nearly exchanging contracts and I'm so excited I am already designing and making a list of to buy :). I want my bedroom to look lovely but not sure how to do it. I have a wooden bed and chocolate damask wallpaper.
Please help me with
1. What bedside cabinets to go for. I don't want everything to be in the wood colour of the bed!
2. Ceiling light and lamp shades. I have the attached stands
3. Flooring and rug. Existing carpet going, so clean slate there
4. How to dress the windows. There are double windows which are like in the middle of the wall! I hate it when there is a big gap between the ceiling and the curtain pole!
5. What colours to mix with the brown so it's not dull

The room is not exactly huge. Only 9'8" x 11'7". It has two fitted wardrobes (fitted into the wall). The wardrobe doors are white gloss. The wardrobes takes practically all the wall they are on. Not sure if I can post a pic of the room since we haven't exchanged contracts yet??

Thank you all for your expertise. A mood board would be lovely if someone can do one.. I tried but all that came out was realisation that I'm not a computer whizz! :)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    I would paint your bed and ivory with a glaze over it ,then it would use texture and layer neutral sheets blankets and pillows since the room is so small ,hang curtains as high as you can and as far out from the window frame as you can to make the window look larger and taller. if you lighten up the bed with paint as suggested the room will look bigger as well ,then you can use side tables in mirror finish for some drama or round with a cloth top even ...with the room being small I would stay neutral and you bedside lamp shade needs to be at a hight that you can lay in bed and read under. The light.too small of a lamp will make them seem out of place ...try a textured soft larger neutral rug under your bed ,larger is better
  • Mrs M
    Thanks Brandi. Yes I was thinking of painting the bed. Never done it before and worried I will the bed! :(. I will shop some stuff and post here before I buy so I can get people's opinions first.
  • Mrs M
    * ruin the bed!
  • minnie101
    I agree with everything Brandi has said. I think I'd do the bed in an old white though so it blends more with the wardrobes. I've attached a pic of a bed from harvest moon which would look similar to yours. If you're not confident at decorating then I would get someone to do it. Even if you go the chalk paint route it doesn't always give a great finish depending on the original finish of the furniture. In terms of colours you could stick to the neutrals in the wallpaper to keep the room looking light. Attached pic from mediodesign. The mirrors either side of the bed also help with the feeling of space as this room isn't particularly large either. If you layers textures the neutral colours won't be dull.
  • Mrs M
    Ah thanks Minnie. Always good to have a visual! If I wallpaper the whole feature wall in the damask paper, do you think it would still carry the mirrors behind the bedsides??
    I agree with painting the bed lighter as I'm sure it will give me more options in terms of decor. Most of the bedrooms I like on Houzz are either white or cream beds
  • minnie101
    Yes it does help! This image is from the bold abode. It's a feature wall but not of paper so gives you an idea
  • Mrs M
    Bingo! Away to shop :). Thanks Minnie