hzdeleted_17299013

Need Advice On Island Worktop

User
8 years ago
Visited my kitchen man last night, everything chosen: taps, extractor, carcass, colour and so on but before making a final commitment there is one disappointment I have and I want to see if there is a way around it.

To be honest the budget doesn’t allow for granite. Quartz or Corian I haven’t priced but they seem to be up there in the high price bracket.

Into the mix I have to add a number of young children so it’s beginning to look like I’m going to have to settle for a laminate type surface. And that’s my problem. My kitchen designer set the island at 900mm wide but the kitchen guy told me that I would have to settle for 800mm as laminate came in standard sizes and 900mm would be to wide. I have to confess that the laminate I would pick looks great.

He also told me that I’d have to have straight sides on the island with a laminate tape fixed along the side, and I can’t help thing that would spoil the look. Solve that problem and I'm good to go. So what to do?

As regards colour and material, the units will be F&B’s Ball Green, my circular top would be a solid oak and my intention would be a suitable matching oak type engineered wooden floor. The carcases will also be in sympathy with the wooden floor.

I could go for wooden worktops and that would probably solve my problem, but to be honest as a family we could be a little more careful!!!. There would also be the issue of matching up. At the moment I’m pretty happy with a wooden circular table, and wooden floor, but add wooden worktops – surely they wouldn’t blend in?

Can members make any suggestions? Surely laminate doesn’t have to be that restrictive? Is there anything else I could possibly do?

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.