evangelia_boratzi

Vinyl cork or luxury vinyl plank?

Lilly B
8 years ago
We are renovating our floor (kitchen, dining,living) and we need to place something over the existing tiles. Since we have a baby, I rejected wood so I am thinking either vinyl cork (wicanders hydrocork) or vinyl (berryalloc or wineo), I only found these brands so far (I am in Greece so not many options). I prefer the hydrocork but there are just a few designs and I don't know if it is so good as it seems.

Comments (54)

• Lilly B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you very much for your answers!
    So I better go for vinyl plank if I really want something waterproof or pure cork if I want the benefits of the cork, right? Another dilemma.I like cork but I worry if it will last in the kitchen..I also like vinyl but it lacks the benefits of the cork (silence, warmth,etc.) What should I choose? I want the look of wood as in the pictures as flooret attached. Which product mimes wood better?
  • Lilly B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The tiles cannot be removed
  • Related Discussions

Vinyl vs. Laminate

Q

Comments (21)
    Rigid core LVT is likely to become the next generation of LVTs. Solid (less likely to suffer indentations), more stable (less likely to expand and contract in extreme conditions, such as conservatories), more forgiving to the small subfloor imperfections (small dips and raises in a subfloor can be soaked up by rigid core) indicate to this style becoming very popular. Those that know, know. Those that don't will pooh-pooh the product. That's why you've had varying opinions, Pavan. Rigid core is more than likely to be more expensive than traditional 2.5mm dry back LVT, though. For some installations rigid core LVT will be over engineered. Just depends on the type of installation you are about to embark on and also the aesthetics. Do you like the design look of the rigid core? We're cute, we're cuddly… we're the Flooring Gurus!
    ...See More

Floor colour with grey units. Opinion on design. Urgent help

Q

Comments (16)
    Unless you particularly like the desaturated look of all greys, my instinct would be to go with a more natural shade of oak for the flooring. https://www.howdens.com/joinery/floors/flooring/vinyl-flooring/quick-step-livyn-single-plank-natural-oak-luxury-vinyl-flooring-2105m-pack-sdh3680 Possibly even this; https://www.howdens.com/joinery/floors/flooring/vinyl-flooring/quick-step-livyn-single-plank-dark-brown-oak-luxury-vinyl-flooring-2105m-pack-sdh3684 for more contrast. The shelves are fine in whitewash, painting them may make the room feel smaller. Its better to let your items on display be the focus, than the shelves themselves. The darker bifold look more modern, and add extra dimension to the space. Depending on where the other window is, and how out of place it may look from the outside, you could replace it to go with the doors, or have the internal frame painted to match.
    ...See More

Vinyl flooring cost

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes but I've got a builder with an account and a daughter with a particular colour of floor that my wife likes. Only after a ball park figure so I know whether I need to look elsewhere.
    ...See More

What is Wood Veneer SPC Flooring?

Q

Comments (0)
    SPC (Stone Polymer Core) is a revolutionary new flooring product. SPC flooring is an upgrade of Luxury Vinyl Tiles (LVT). It is special designed with “Unilin” click locking system,SPC has an array of new features not found in any other composite flooring product category. SPC flooring stands for Stone Plastic Composite. Known for being 100% waterproof with unparalleled durability, these engineered luxury vinyl planks use advanced technologies to beautifully mimic natural wood and stone at a lower price point. SPC’s signature rigid core is virtually indestructible. What is SPC Flooring + Wood Veneer? Wood veneer SPC flooring (Waterproof Hardwood SPC) is a innovation new SPC Flooring. It's structure is multiple of uv coating, wood veneer and SPC rigid core, formed by cold pressing. SPC flooring Wood veneer-inheriting the classic beauty of real wood and preserving the natural wood flooring texture, makes your home fresh and more natural. When people step on, the softness and pleasantness to the touch comes . Very suitable for the aesthetics of consumers and become more and more welcomed by customers. Our revolution product -Wood Veneer SPC flooring is under development.wooden veneer SPC flooring is the newest generation of floor covering. There is also a new SPC flooring texture that has a real wood veneer. It is an innovation based on SPC core with Real Wood Veneer, which not only makes the floor surface like real wood but also a great improvement of SPC quality. We believe once launched, it will definitely attract customers’ attention in the flooring market. Whatsapp/ Wechat: +86 17736066787 E-mail: sales@decnoflooring.com Website: www.decnofloorings.com DECNO Group Ltd-- professional & reliable manufacturer of China
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Cancork Floor and Flooret please read into this product...
    http://www.usfloorsllc.com/product-category/coretec-plus/5-plank/#why

Evangelia this is the product I was recommending above. Not sure if it is sold in your region as it is new to Texas. This product would be excellent for your application.
    Provides you with the wood look, waterproof, sound absorbing and extreme wear.

Lilly B thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • Lilly B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This product seems great but unfortunately we don't have it in my country so I still have to decide between vinyl and cork. Than you very much for your suggestion though.
  • PRO
    dePedra Ltd
    8 years ago

@ Evangelia :

hydrocork is a multi-layer product, consisting of two vinyl layers (top and bottom), with a compressed cork core sandwiched between the two. the locking mechanism is in the cork core, and it works in a fairly simple way: when you fit the boards, the cork locking mechanism on either side compresses to allow fitting, and once it "clicks" (no actual clicking sound) into place, the cork expands to seal the join, thus making the system impervious to water.

There are only a few looks, all resembling wood, but the material itself is amazing and it works. Shortly after the material came out I have fitted it in my house in the UK, on all floors (i have a baby too, and expecting a 2nd one), as well as in rental properties in Portugal that are rented all year round.

My wife and I chose this material because it ticked all the boxes: 1) hardwearing; 2) good looking; 3) can be used in wet and non wet areas; 4) warmer to walk on barefoot; 5) comfortable to walk, sit and play;

Since we have installed it, several of our friends were amazed by it and have also installed it in their homes.

Standard vinyl simply does not offer all of that and some of the other systems featured above, although they feature a core that does not swell when there is water ingress, there will still be water ingress as the join is not sealed (by itself as in hydrocork or with adhesive as in glue down cork floors).

We also looked at 100% cork flooring, but they do not perform well in wet areas/environments and we wanted something that would give us peace of mind so that if our little one spills her water/juice/milk, even when she grows up, we do not have to panic about it damaging our beautiful floor. ;-)

Lilly B thanked dePedra Ltd
  • Ce Neu
    8 years ago

I just installed Hydrocork in my elderly father's senior's condo. We put it in the kitchen. I have almost no experience putting in laminate but this floor was easy to install and looks incredibly good. I used the Silverclaw Oak. We'll see how it stands up but so far, it's fantastic. Feels good, easy to clean.

Lilly B thanked Ce Neu
  • indahowz
    8 years ago

Ce Neu, de, How 'bout some pics???

Lilly B thanked indahowz
  • Lilly B
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    After changing a thousand opinions I went back to my first thought and bought the hydrocork (without having seen the last two comments). Happy to see they are positive :-) I haven't installed it yet, I believe it will be great. I will post my feedback and photos when done
  • Ce Neu
    8 years ago

I'll put some pictures up of our Senior's Kitchen when it's finished :) Waiting for countertop and tile still. The floor continues to perform well.

• lwallos333
    8 years ago

I I am interested in the hydro cork but I have concerns about off gassing. For those who have already installed it, was/is there any off gassing? Thank you

• Ce Neu
    8 years ago

Nothing that I noticed.

• lwallos333
    8 years ago

Thank you

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

The only thing that would off-gass is the vinyl itself. Europe has strong requirements for phthalates (which the US does not have...yet). Since this is a European product (only Wicanders has this in their line-up) the only thing that would be of concern would be the vinyl...and it would be MUCH safer than 90% of vinyls available through Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc.

• lwallos333
    8 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. Has anyone had trouble with off gassing of the hydro cork in your experience?

• pscanlon13
    7 years ago

I am also very interested in redoing our main floor in cork floating flooring (kitchen/dining area, living area, bedrooms). My only concern is that we will be acquiring a pup this summer that will reach about 50 lb in size at maturity. I have seen varying comments on dogs and cork; everything from "no, not dog suitable as they'll scratch it up" to "yes, fine for dogs as it wears well". Can anyone else shed some light on that angle for me? I really like the benefits I'm reading about concerning this material, and the idea that it doesn't kill the trees is very encouraging. I would really appreciate some pet owners' feedback on this one... (or that of flooring professionals)

As well, I see that there are different types of floating cork flooring (hydro cork and others) and am wondering if that has a bearing on things as per my question.

Thanks.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

@pscanlon13- We have cork installed in one of our offices. On the weekends I usually bring my dogs into work with me. One weighing at 35 lbs and the other at 113 lbs. They are both banned from entering this office because both of their nails scratch the flooring or make gouges.
    We stopped selling this product due to instances where the product did not perform well within a couple years time, mainly because of wear and tear.

• Katie
    7 years ago

I was wondering if.any of those who put down the hydrocork have any subsequent feedback on how it looks, cleans and is wearing etc. thank you

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

@Cinar...the cork can be repaired. The finish of most quality cork floors can either be refreshed or refurbished. The presence of scratches is normal for a cork-friendly polyurethane - which would indicate a refinish is no problem. Cork factory finishes are not the LAST finish to be put down - they are the first of many during the lifetime of the floor.

A traditionally made cork floor will REQUIRE the finish to be refurbished around about year 5-7. Two coats are required (for various reasons) and then every 4-7 years a single coat of finish is applied as required. This is how you get a cork floor to "live" for longer than the humans who own it.

Cork can work well with animals...but it requires some extras. The refinishing is part of it. The COLOUR is the other. For people who are scared of scratches, then a vinyl cork or a fusion cork is the best way to go.

• Ce Neu
    7 years ago

Hi Katie,

The floor is doing well in my father's kitchen. It's easy to take care of, looks great and is posing no problems so far. :)

• Katie
    7 years ago

Thanks for your reply ce neu. It's hard to find reviews of the hydrocork. We have a dog and 3 kids and thinking it might be a good flooring alternative.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

@Cancork we must be talking about different products as the cork flooring that we used to deal with was not able to be refinished per the manufacturer. The profile of it is similar to a laminate with a 4mm thick surface wear layer and a manufacturers finish. -- When people say cork this is what I think of and boy it was not a good experience with all the claims that came in on this product. We tend to stray away from products with cork surfaces due to this. Products that have cork underlayments or products like hydrocork we do sell.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

@Cinar....there are MANY different finishes on the market. And you have a cork floating floor - I am well aware of what it is. I just don't know the NAME of your product...but it doesn't matter. The market has certain options.

The LOW end finishes will be urethane or polyacrylic or acrylic. The Urethane/polyurethane are refinishable...but you need to know how. The Acrylic/polyacrylic is NOT refinishable (you cannot add "more" of the finish).

The floors that are NOT refinishable....are usually allowed to be 'polished'. Yes. Wax-on, wax-off Grasshopper. Those POLISHES need to start around about the 6 MONTH mark...but can be put off for about 2 years. The polish then needs to be applied every 6 months for the rest of the cork's life (every 5 applications requires the polish to be stripped and then reapplied).

Sigh. Yes. I now. This is EXACTLY why we have STAYED away from the "other" finishes. The urethane/polyurethane finishes will scratch but they are the EASIEST to deal with and can be made TOUGHER as the floor ages.

The "cheap" low-end finishes can be polished to keep them looking good...but it turns out to be MORE work over the life of the floor when compared to the polyurethane finishes that can be reapplied as it ages.

I'm sorry you were sold this product. I'm sorry that you did not get the technical support you needed to keep the cork maintained. This is why I have to work hard to help OTHER people save their cork floors - the lack of product knowledge at the point of sales is NOTORIOUS with cork.

Feel free to send me an email with details (and photos if you wish) and I'll see what I can come up with for support. And to be clear....your cork shouldn't be so hard to deal with - so long as it has the proper maintenance for its finish.

info@cancork.com

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I appreciate that. Yes, we were not informed about being able to refinish this product as this is news to us being that we sold cork over 10 yrs ago. We haven't looked into newer products or their technologies. And to be honest the product it self is not in high demand here, I may have 1 person out of 100 inquire about it. Thanks again for the information as I can pass along to anyone else who asks here in our store.

• annediz
    7 years ago

Someone may have mentioned this, but the vinyl planks are quite hard. I was surprised to find that it is harder than my former (extremely worn out) engineered hardwood flooring. I have a sore foot, and the vinyl luxury planks are much harder on it than the engineered hardwood. It is GREAT for pets and waterproofing, but if I had it to do again I would go with cork for softness.

• Heather Gere
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would love to know how the hydrocork has held up for those who have tried it. We are just getting ready to purchase and find it odd that there are not very many reviews at all, after being out a couple years. I stumbled on one that said that they installed this product into a few homes and has seen overs and unders on sides and ends. Not sure exactly what they mean by that. They also said some of them are not staying together and that the subfloor needs to be completely level or they will pop up. Just starting to second guess this one... we just put a deposit down but may cancel. I also worry about required temps. We live in New England and on occasion if the fire goes out, the home can go down to 60. Not sure if that would pose an issue or not. Tried calling the company twice but cannot reach them to answer these questions. UGH.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

@Heather Gere - Have you tried searching their website for warranty and installation guidelines? The installation guideline will inform you the recommended temp and humidity levels needed for said product. Yes, you will want to have your subfloor leveled using self leveling systems and if needed, an orbital to grind down any humps. In the 50 yrs we have been in business we haven't seen a perfect level slab or pier and beam home. There is almost always some form of prep work needed. Hydocorks interlocking system is within the cork. When the male and female ends are locked together the cork swells locking it in place. If someone is stating that the ends are not staying together or popping loose, it most likely falls back on the installation method; it may not have been installed correctly. I have a product in my showroom by Harris Wood called LVC (luxury vinyl cork) which is a hydrocork product. I've sold a handful of jobs, good looking product. No call backs about product performance issues or about planks coming loose. Another product to look at is Coretec by US Floors. Fantastic product. It is our leading vinyl plank with a cork backing. I don't think this product is available in your neck of the woods but there are several companies that pay royalties to US Floors to use their patented process. You may find something similar closer to home with this technology.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

Hydrocork is a product made by Wicanders. It is a new product - even for European standards. And NO ONE in the cork industry (out of the main manufacturers) is duplicating this product.

The Hydrocork is a layer of vinyl (which is what you are standing on) and a layer of cork (which makes up the locking mechanism) and then a layer of vinyl (which sits on the subfloor). The "lock" is produced by slamming the cork middle layer into a slot in the other cork middle layer. The Harris Wood LVC has many of the same graphics as the "big brother" Wicanders'...with all the same "stuff" mentioned. I'm going out on a limb here to say the Harris Wood product is produced by one of the DOZENS of manufacturers owned and operated by Amorim...the company that produces Wicanders.

As I've stated, the other producers (who are NOT owned by Amorim) are NOT reproducing this mechanism. The reason: they don't think it works. Not for the full 25+ years it is supposed to work.

There you have it. I've asked why three of our producers haven't come up with anything like the Hydrocork. They all come back saying the same thing: "We don't think it works." And all of them have "tried" a replica....they did not like their test results so they deep sixed the whole line.

When Hydrocork works, it is really cool. When it goes wrong - it goes really wrong. And if you want to call Wicanders, please remember they are in Portugal. You need to speak slowly and clearly on the answering machine....and HOPE someone in the office who speaks English will take the time to speak with you.

Traditionally they only connect with dealers or potential dealers. Because they control more than 1/2 of the world's cork, they are busy people.

I wish you luck. It is a cool product that the N. American installers have "issues" with. The Europeans seem to have it figured out...but then again they have installers who are trained in the installation (quick trip to Portugal to get hands on training = really helps).

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

@Cancork- Here's a profile photo of the Harris Wood product. The companies rep claims it is hydrocork. Since you're one of the few to know so much about cork products, I ask you if this is correct? With all that I have read from you, I know that you know what you're talking about. Some of these reps have only been in the industry 1-5 yrs and they know only what they have been told.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

Yes...that's Hydrocork with a different name attached. The click system is a variation of the Valinge system (as opposed to the Uniclic system). The Valinge system is the favoured system of Wicanders/Amorim corporation. Any/all of their subsidiaries use this system. The rest of the competition choose the Uniclic system.

As you can see in the photo, the binding system is just a "click" system rotated 90 deg so that it becomes a "drop lock" system instead of a sideways "click" system. This is the weakest link.

The "grab" of the cork is MUCH less than any other material. As dense as it is, cork is still made up of grains that are bound together with adhesive. The "sheer" strength is no where near as strong as fibre board (for instance).

That being said, the hydrocork system *seems to work well for clients in Europe...but then again Europeans like to renovate their flooring (on average) every SEVEN YEARS (7 years)! That means this system only needs to "work" for 7 years....to satisfy Europeans. North Americans are loath to renovate their floors.

The other concern has to do with N. American installers dealing with this product for the first time. I've spoken with over half a dozen installers (in 2 countries - coast to coast) and they ALL have the same complaint: it is a BEAR to install.

If the hydrocork isn't stored properly (completely FLAT), the tiles warp and don't sit 'flat'. The lock edge takes HUGE amounts of force (well beyond what they normally use) to engage....which means there is plenty of "edge damage" because of the force needed to engage the lock = need more for damage/waste than anticipated.

They also state that the learning curve is VERY slow...Day 25 of a job is just as difficult as day 1. They can't seem to find a "rhythm" to the system. Many of them walked of the job (paid per square foot) because the time it took meant they lost money.

These are the concerns I've heard time and time again. As to the longevity of the product in N.America, that remains to be seen. It is an intriguing idea...but only time will tell if it really works for N.American tastes.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Your detailed help is great! For my info - which is a bear to install? drop lock, or sideways click... thanks.

• Lilly B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I live in Greece and nobody even knows about this product. After a lot of research I decided to buy it and I had it installed by people who have almost never installed hydrocork before (they work with wood ,laminate etc) and they had no problem doing it. It was installed perfectly and it still is after a year. People who installed said it is a great product. I hope we have no problem in the future because all the above comments scared me.
  • muskokascp
    6 years ago

@cancork what vinyl plank flooring brand would you recommend for durability and stability over a range of temperatures and humidity? Think - New England weather in a cottage with dogs and kids :)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

Sigh...nothing? Or anything. Either way. Cottage = improper indoor living conditions = everything is void.

Sheet vinyl works very well when full glue is used. Solid hardwood. But again, as soon as you "shut down" the cottage, you won't have a leg to stand on for warranty. But that is true for EVERYTHING you put in the space.

The Korean products that are thicker and with a more stable core (made for use with in-floor radiant) would, in theory, stand up a bit better. Eazy Lay or Drop & Done are the one's I'm familiar with.

• mgtomka
    6 years ago

We had this product - Wicander Hydrocork - installed in our kitchen last year and loved it. We first laid down a second subfloor which was fairly level. This year we decided to put it in our remaining 4 main floor rooms. The new installer (from the same company who did the kitchen install) had never installed this product before and did not do any research prior to the install. Many boards popped up over time. 3 months later, we are waiting for our 4th revisit to fix the floors. The installer did not level our subfloor before installation, and the cork is not staying "clicked" together. He has tried taking up sections to relevel and has glued boards together and in some cases, to the subfloor. Still some areas not holding. It has been a nightmare and I worry what will happen over time. Make sure your floor is very level before installing this product.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

@mgtomka...I've heard this over and over again about Hydrocork. As fascinating as the concept is, it is hard to make it "work" in real life. I've spoken to installers who were handed the Hydrocork (either by their boss or by the homeowner) without any knowledge/training. All of them walked off the job because of the difficulties.

It sounds like you will need to check your contract to see how much you paid for leveling/floor prep. If it is less than $2/sf, then it probably wasn't enough for the product.

Hydrocork is a super-touchy product. Too many N. American installers have problems with it. The Europeans do a bit better because in Europe the shops pay to send their installers for training. The companies like Wicanders offer training programs for their licensed dealers. We don't get that type of training on this side of the ocean - costs too much money for companies/installers to handle.

• larkspurproject
    6 years ago

@ Cancork...Is there a vinyl plank flooring you would recommend for Arizona? I've read that some products need protection from sunlight to maintain structural integrity. I appreciate your input.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

@Larkspurproject - Vinyl doesn't like heat. Which means it doesn't like direct sunlight hitting it and warming it up. It also doesn't like UV rays (will either bleach out or turn purple/black).

The UV ratings on your windows will dictate whether or not you can use vinyl - at all. Start asking yourself: How old are the windows? Do they have UV blocking technology (this is different from "Low E" ratings)? Are you planning on replacing the windows in the next 2-5 years?

So...that being said, you will either work with the high-end Korean brands that are DESIGNED for in-floor radiant heat (they have a more stable core/properties) or you look at another product. Eazy Lay or DropNDone are two Korean brands that don't mind heat. But they still do not like UV rays....and still have discolouration issues in direct sunlight with *bad/old windows.

iCork Floor has Fusion Cork flooring that is NOT vinyl. It is as tough as vinyl....but it isn't vinyl it is polypropylene. Polypropylene (PP) is not PVC (vinyl). It is a stable, inert plastic (pp is used in garden beds as black sheeting, it is used as clear plastic over windows/concrete slabs, in children's toys, etc).

This stability makes it IDEAL for heat and UV exposure. It doesn't care. Unlike 99% of vinyl products that DO CARE. The regular, everyday, affordable, Home Depot vinyl products are probably not an option in AZ. Only if you have the highest level UV protection on the windows (the vinyl cannot be heated beyond 85 F or it curls/discolours over time), can you work with generic vinyl products.

Go ahead and put an exterior grade thermometer in a sunny spot on your floor. Let it heat up for an hour or so and then start recording your findings. As soon as you get past 85 F, you can stop the experiment. Your windows don't have enough UV protection for vinyl.

• larkspurproject
    6 years ago

Thanks Cancork! The condo faces west and renters are not going to keep the blinds closed because of the beautiful mountain views. I do not think vinyl is my friend for this project. Looks like I am going back to the tile option. I genuinely appreciate your input, it clearly could have cost a fortune and possible divorce! ;)

• David Platt
    6 years ago

@Cancork - building a home in VT where the weather can vary a lot (including lots of time in the 50s when the house is empty). Also expecting some sunlight exposure through some big doubly pane windows. Is Vinyl plank out? Was considering Coretec Plus 7" 50LVP707.

• Greg Milo
    6 years ago

I unfortunately own some of this flooring. $2,000 unusable and $1,000 in shipping and restocking fees. You need a NASA flat floor if you want to be happy with this stuff. Cork like locking action-I want to put that open bottle of wine in your CEOs Mercedes and take it for a joy ride over the bumpiest roads and see if you like the results. Very misleading marketing.

"But what makes the product so unique is the revolutionary PressFit compression system that takes full advantage of the amazing cork properties - flexibility, elasticity and compressibility - functioning like a cork stopper. When it’s vertically inserted in the gap, the cork core automatically compresses. Then, it expands back to its initial shape, forming a tight and stable seal."

• ekiss8
    5 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone can comment about how their hydrocork is holding up? I bought some for my home, however my installers are having issues. I know my subfloor is uneven and could be willing to fix that but not sure if it's worth that or changing to a different product. I love the looks and feel of the product but my installer said it's not forgiving at all. Planks were popping up during the install. Any feedback would be appreciated! As my house is all torn down to the subfloor and we are on hold until I get some answers from Wicanders!

• Gail Tomka
    5 years ago
    Ekiss8,
    After 1 year and repeated visits (8-10) by our installer to fix popped up boards, wicanders finally recommended that our hydrocork floor be removed, a second subfloor (plywood) be nailed down and then the hydrocork planks be glued down. We still have a few high traffic areas that are popping up and are waiting for another visit. We wish we could replace this floor but after spending $11,000, it is not an option for us. My advice, do not install this floor!
  • ekiss8
    5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. That is disheartening but I would rather hear it and do what I can now to see if I can send it back. We installed about 4 rows of the flooring and it took the installers a full day because the boards were popping up in the middle of the install. I got enough for my entire house (1800 sq ft) so I have to figure out what I can do about it with the site I purchased it from.

• larkspurproject
    5 years ago

Gail and ekiss, I'm so sorry to hear your stories. Gail, don't you have any legit recourse with the manufacturer? I would be the squeaky wheel. Ekiss, I hope the site that you purchased from works with you. Good luck!

• ekiss8
    5 years ago

Yeah I'm bummed because I love the color and texture and I would fix the sub floor if that is really needed... but I don't want to do that for just this product!

• Gail Tomka
    5 years ago
    Wicander’s Rep came and inspected the floor and determined it was an installation problem, so no recourse there.
  • ekiss8
    5 years ago

Did they say it was a subfloor issue? My installer says I could level my subfloor (mainly replace the entire subfloor because I plan to replace it with this product) I will change the sub floor but hate to do that if it doesn’t work or I could use another product and get good results.

• ekiss8
    5 years ago

Just for other people wanting to install hydro cork flooring.. I was told from the manufacturer that with a wood subfloor (I am on a crawl space) that it will be hard to get it level enough for this product. So I am returning the product and getting something else. I love the look of the product however if it's not going to stay down then being pretty isn't going to help. If you are planning to go this route I would recommend only picking it if you have a concrete (VERY VERY Level) subfloor..

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

99.9% of concrete floors we work on need some type of leveling system to flatten out the concrete. No subfloor is perfect

• Laura Gillanders
    5 years ago

Cancork, how does the fusion cork compare with the vinyl cork from Europlex? You mentioned UV rating but how about durability and thickness? I heard the vinyl cork from Europlex you don't need a cork subfloor because it's so thick.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.