narditti

New kitchen shelves

narditti
3 December, 2015
Hi everyone
Please would you be so kind to assist me with a design dilemma?
We have just had a new kitchen installed. It is going to be painted a dark blue on the units (little Greene hicks blue) and we have white metro tiles to go up.
Do you think the shelves look ok? I am worried about the shelves over the breakfast bar not being long enough. I think they look a bit odd! I have had to make so many decisions and not sure I have got any right!
Any other advice on styling would also be very much appreciated thank you
Anna

• Anna
    Maybe they will look ok when they have things on them
  • headers13

Hi - first pic what is going in the middle of the shelves ? Second pic - I do think they would be better the length of the wall - not sure why they end mid way ? (sorry !!)

• narditti
    First pic the extractor will be between the shelves above a range cooker.
    Yes I think you may be right they are too short. Thank you
  • narditti
    I was worried they were too close to the pendant light so decided they should not go too near....then I thought they should be in the centre....argh expensive mistake!
  • minnie101

Hi. Re the first pic, will you have anything next to the base unit on the right to take it to the end of the ŵall? If not, I think I'd shorten the shelves so they align to the end of the base unit. Re the breakfast bar I think I'd probably Align to the centre of the bar although that could look odd with the lights, hard to tell. They are aligned centrally with the ŵall though so don't look bad

I think the shelves are fine near the range but think they are unnecessary near the breakfast bar. I would rather see wall art.
  • narditti
    I agree, a big canvas there would look great but I am a messy cook. I can imagine a blender or mixer related disaster happening.
    I wanted a tea station with cups hanging from hooks and kettle underneath on worktop and nice tea canisters and teapots on shelves. Maybe longer shelves but not centred, so towards the window more?
    Thank you all for your input.
    Also do you think dark blue on units will work?
    KW Kitchens

I would make the shelves over the breakfast bar the full width of the wall. The shelves each side of where the extractor and cooker are going may be a dirt collector consider having closed wall units, maybe with clear glass doors.

• narditti
    We have moved them over a bit using the same fixings in the wall just making new holes in the shelf. I think it looks better what do you think?
    KW Kitchens

Still think they would look better all the way across the wall. If the main purpose of them is to have more storage to get thing off the worktops why not have longer shelves giving you more space.

• narditti
    The builder advised that we shouldn't go too close to the window as would block out light, and also if we went too close to the pendant lights it would throw off the perfectly equal dimensions of space between each light...

I don't need them for storage really as have a utility room with floor to ceiling cupboards on one wall so they were just for a few bits and pieces
    Thanks
  • Nicola

I think your ideas are really coming together, it's looks great.

Ocean Home Designs

I'd suggest that you won't lose much light if you had longer shelves but I see what you mean re interfering with the lights.

It may well be possible to bring the outside ones inward slightly to help keep them away from the shelves if you swapped them out for longer ones. I'd say they would look better if they were bigger personally, but at the end of the day it's your space so do what you're comfortable with.

ON&ON

We like them, the finish matches the kitchen tops and from the photos it looks like the size and location are ok... nothing to dislike. You could make them longer, but you may not know until you start using them. If the lighting is an issue which it may not be you could try and fitting led lighting strips underneath.

• Seema Minhas
    The shelves look much better in the centre. Where is your kitchen from? Will you be painting by hand? I'm just curious as I wish to do something similar.