elan_stephen

Radiator placement: should it be under the window or on opposing wall?

Elan Tsarfati
8 years ago

Yet another dilemma I'm hoping Houzz helpers can advise on.

We are replacing our radiators with designer rads. We need to lift the floors anyways so it's an opportune time to move our radiators to more sensible locations.

Our builder says putting it under the double-paned window is a good idea so that as any drafts come in they are heated and reduced. Other designers who have come through have said the opposite - they advise putting in on an interior wall as window placement leads to increased heating loss.

Supporting the builder argument is every new building (office complex, hotel etc.) that I've seen has radiators in front of glass windows (especially the floor to ceiling windows). This seams to support the concept that as heat rises it will carry and heat any cool air seeping through the windows around the room and keep it warm.

So I'm stuck - should we a) place under the window, or b) leave it on the opposing wall?

Am all ears -

Happy New year everyone!

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.