miss_mud

uPVC vs. Timber windows - what to choose?!

miss_mud
8 years ago

Hello there!

Hope you are well. I am very new to this house business but have recently bought a small 1 bed in London and am currently in the middle of a massive renovation. I need to replace 3 windows in :

- the kitchen (open plan with living room and has large original sash windows that I am going to leave for now)

- bathroom

- landing area

- Bedroom (has timber sash already... going to leave this)

What should I choose: Timber or uPVC windows? an option is to perhaps choose timber to match the sash windows in the living area and choose uPVC elsewhere?

The pricing difference between timber and UPVC is surprisingly very small. So I need to decide based on looks and maintenance issues.

The property is a large victorian one and there is already a mix of uPVC and timber in the building....

I am left feeling that uPVC inevitably looks cheaper... but I am worried about the ongoing maintenance of timber... its also tricky to paint since I am a first floor flat and the house has massive ceilings whereby my windows are likely 5-6 metres above ground...

Many thanks!

The flat is the one that you see on the first floor on the Right hand side (big sash windows)

Open plan living room and kitchen - please note: I am going to leave the sash windows alone (will just repair them).

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.