c_papoulias

possible bookcase for darkish mid century living room

c_papoulias
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there, new to the forums but long term visitor. Recently rehauled main room in our new small edwardian house: a west facing shabby and midlewy living room 16sq m, which used to have windows to the south originally before they were blocked by extension. The room has been gutted and done up in mid century style. Now I need something for the external wall. As we have many books and need storage space I designed a bookcase and am ordering it from a company which works with laminate panels and lacquered fronts as they are the only affordable place I know. However, after a brief consultation with a different online designer I now got cold feet. Designer said that white modular piece against dark wood furniture is a no-no since it would split the room in two and make it look weird. Also, that a fitted bookcase there will cut a lot of the remaining light plus might contribute to return of dreaded mildew trapped behind it. She suggested putting in retro low wooden bookcases by the window. However, I feel there is already far too much wood in the room: oak floor, rosewood, teak and afromosia furniture. Would it be ok if I stuck with rosewood or teak for the shelves and had no cabinets (so that books rather than wood would dominate)? Is a fitted bookcase a no no? Would be grateful for any advice! btw room not finished yet. Will replace sofa with a restored fabric one and may mute the green wall a bit - again any advice would be wonderful. Many thanks! Stan

PS btw glass doors are painted off white like skirting - it is just the other side that is still veneer as the vestibule has not been done yet

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.