zmichelle222

Mirror size

Michelle
7 years ago
I would like to hang a mirror over my mantle. This is the third one I have tried and all of the dimensions have seemed..off. Am I just too picky or is this too tall? Any advise appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (41)

• PRO
    SimpleDecoratingTips.com
    7 years ago

I wonder if it's just too close in shape and size to the fireplace opening and feels like it's repeating that, instead of complimenting it.... I think I'd try a low long horizontal mirror, (that doesn't extend beyond the mantel though) or a round one would be great! If you really wanted to keep this one, you could try to place it to the left, in a asymmetrical placement... and have a couple tall things actually placed in front of it, with more of a low horizontal thing going off to the right. That might help with it not feeling like it's in competition with the fireplace.

Here are a few posts I've written about mantel arranging: Mantels

Here's a few posts I've written about vignettes and arranging... maybe you can find some more tips in here: Vignettes and Arranging

Hope that helps. :) Liz

• Related Discussions

What size / type mirror for this vanity

Q

Comments (11)
    Love the new vanity unit - looks very like a Burlington one we're about to bring into our showroom! Regarding mirrors - in theory, you could get away with two 500w x 700 tall mirrors, but I think that would be pushing it. I'd go narrower, but if you can keep 700 high (ir higher), I think it would give you a really good, architectural feel. Alternatively, you could opt for a couple of oval mirrors like these: Which would echo the curved of your basins. These ones shown come from Miller Bathrooms of Sweden and are of excellent quality. They also do some nice square & smaller rectangular ones which would work size-wise. Their website is here - feel free to get in touch if you wish us to quote. As to copper - I too love it, especially in a bathroom, but I don't currently have anything to offer with copper on the mirror itself. I'd suggest considering keeping the mirrors plainer, but bringing copper into the lighting & accessories - more like your 2nd image. Caldicot Kitchens
    ...See More

Help Needed - Mirror Sizing

Q

Comments (0)
    We're doing some market research on mirrors & would love to get your opinions! We need your thoughts on what you would class as a large mirror? Anything over 90cm, 100cm, 110cm, 120cm + in size etc? If you could comment below with any thoughts or opinions we'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
    ...See More

Bathroom Paint Help

Q

Comments (8)
    Very nice bathroom so do not despair. Looks a bit like mine! Looking at the nice mocha tiles, I think white and chocolate towels would go well. Or you could try fuchsia pink towels like the last pic! I think the white walls create a nice contrast, but you could get B&Q to mix up some paint matched to your tiles, although I think a little darker would be better. You definitely need a patterned blind which incorporates the warm tone of the tiles just to add interest. Dark woods would go well with the colour, so maybe a round dark (even black) mirror would add a bit of interest. Plants are great in a bathroom, but you could always try faux ones if you‘re not confident about looking after them. A few small pictures would add interest too. Also how about a wooden shelf above the towel rail with some accessories and plants on it? Here’s some pics to give you ideas
    ...See More

Entryway decoration

Q

Comments (2)
    A nice trendy black or brown framed circular mirror above the console table and a piece of art of your choice on the opposite wall.
    ...See More
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you ideahound. I was thinking longer and shorter too. I liked the idea of a round mirror too. The mantle is a little high to leave room for something around the firebox. Brick or tile..something. The paint bubbled during our first fire. Bad prep. on my part I'm guessing. oops. I'll be back know with pictures of new improved mirror and remove extras off of mantle. Thanks again
  • housegal200
    7 years ago

What about swapping your painting for over the firebox and getting a very large round mirror for over the sofa? Then the mirrow would reflect all the light coming from the window. Agree, the "mantel/shelf" should be dropped down.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks hometocottage. Great links and very helpful. Going to try painting over the mantle/shelf housegal. I never thought of that! Now..to convince hubby to drop mantle down a plank
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here is the painting over mantle. it feels too long. I can definitely see how the mantle needs to be down looking at in a picture alot more than from my own couch.
  • acm
    7 years ago

yes, painting is right for couch, wrong for fireplace.

mantel should come down.

still think art better than mirror there, but might be ok when cleared.

(these are just baby steps color wise...)

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wow acm that adds some color that I am definitely lacking! I was going the easy route with the mirror. I really struggled with the art over the couch and am now having a hard time finding something that flows with that over the mantle. Here is a picture opposite the couch. Beware large clock haters.. honestly I hate it too but have no idea what to do over the tv. Any thoughts?
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ooh. I like that blue alot! I actually had purchased quite a few aqua trendy color pillows, throws etc, but returned it all because the color was just off. (I have returned alot of stuff!)
    The mantle has been moved down one plank, just waiting on spackle to dry. I am leaning towards artwork rather than a mirror. I like the one you posted ideahound.
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here is the lowered mantle. It is much better! Thanks for the recommendations on that. I am also at a loss on the lamp behind the chair and a half. Does it look too small? I returned the mirror
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

I have lowered the painting over the sofa, and the mantle over the fireplace, and turned the mirror.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Beverly, I wondered if the painting was too high, I will lower that. I can move the plant to the other window. Should the table go by the fireplace or where the plant is?
  • leelee
    7 years ago

There is absolutely nothing interesting about a mirror over your fireplace. It reflects only white.

You could layer several framed prints to create an interesting look.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I do like sparkly and birds. This little 8 dollar guy was my inspiration for color. He's the only thing that hasn't been returned because he's so adorable. I thought the mirror over mantel might give that effect but boring... Not sure what to put on the mantle that wouldn't duplicate the firebox. would a fireplace screen on the hearth help to break that up?g
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like that. I lowered the art a smidge. Is it enough?
  • acm
    7 years ago

I don't mind the lamp -- just keep an eye out for something you like better. (Maybe less dark would be ok too.) I wouldn't hang anything over the TV! :)

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks ideahound. The mirror does not reflect anything pretty and I would prefer art, but I am having a hard time finding something to compliment the art over the couch. The clock has been moved from over the tv and I will be mounting the tv to the wall a bit higher over the console. I do like the fixer upper style. Is it possible to incorporate something like that into my room over the fireplace rather than traditional artor too far off what I have going ? Thank you all so much. I really liked the glass shiny lamp!
  • blondetourage
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Could you take the shelf down altogether and put one of those fireplace screens in front and then you can put a painting over the fp. I think the mantle is too high for that space. You can even border around the fp. A mirror will not look as nice as some artwork. IF you use that room a lot a TV over the fireplace would be ok too. I have a tv in my family room over my fireplace and then I have artwork that covers the tv when I want it too.

• blondetourage
    7 years ago
    Artwork would work.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Hang your mirror vertical not horizontal..

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much for your help ideahound and the compliment
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks withease. I'll try that again now that the mantle has been lowered
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Add color with some beautiful designer pillows...

I would get a new coffee table....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

If all your plants are real I would put them all in the same area in front of the window on a beautiful tiered plant holder...

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I gave up on the mirror for now and am waiting for art that I really like instead of just buying something to fill the space. I shopped the house and came up with this for now. I couldn't live with the blank space! Home to cottage was very helpful. Thanks for the input ease, but I am not in the market for a new coffee table just yet but would like something better than the plant in the tray? Does the mantle look ok? Any thoughts for improvement. Also trying to improve the chair area. Thanks for all the help so far. So glad I listened and dropped the mantel. Much better☺
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I really think you need to change out your pillows.... And I think a new cocktail table will really update your space.remove all fake flowers or greens from the mantle so very 1980's.;( I think your room is very nice just needs a few tweaks:))

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    7 years ago

Maybe looking at a photo from one of our design projects will help you make a decision here.

Old Meets New Build · More Info

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your kind words ideahound. I don't know what 1980s decorating looks like, I was just a young girl then! I would still like to add pillows, a throw and eventually art in a nice non teal blue and still on the hunt for art and lamps and a round table for next to the couch
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Acm, I love the first painting over the mantle! Can you tell me where you found it. I think it's a great place to start adding blue.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Zmichelle222.... Sorry about the 80's comment but one thing is I am always honest :)) in the 80's everyone used artificial plants..on mantles in pots..on top of cabinets in kitchens..plastic everywhere..so when I see plastic plants it sends me back to the 80's...if you where a young girl then...more of a reason to tell you this space does not look like it is for someone your age..just trying to push you to a more updated look. You are on the right track with wanting art and pillows...are you looking to add light teal? I think the mantle looks fine but remove any artificial plants:))

• PRO
    Georgia Custom Cabinet Doors Inc.
    7 years ago
    Now I'm biased but if my mirror proportions weren't right I'd build a wood creation around it to make it right but the look is elegantly simple and that would kill the simplicity I know, but in my opinion you did what needed to be done by lowering your mantle to make it all more proportional. But if you ever get the itch to do a built in call a local woodworker because proportion and symmetry is our business.
  • Karen Bumgardner
    7 years ago
    Lower the mantle, put low and wide colorful picture above. Pull chair and lamp a little bit more out of the corner and put the window table next to the arm of the chair and find another place for the plant there and in front of the fireplace. Put a nice fireplace screen up and a really pretty basket on the floor to the right with some wood in it. Take some colors from the art you choose for over the fireplace and get some pillows to match in the corners of the sofa and a lumbar pillow for the center of the sofa. Add a pretty colored throw over the back of the chair and down the seat with one pillow in the chair over the throw .Add a small,low ( 3 or 4 flowers -3 to 4 inches tall ) round vase of flowers on the chair table with a family photo oriented in landscape. Sorry for it being so lengthy a description.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I didn't say the room was 80's just the artificial plants on the mantle.....again with a little tweaking will really look beautiful.

• drdeb1234
    7 years ago
    "waiting for art that I really like instead of just buying something to fill the space". Excellent plan!!!!! Wait to find art you LOVE would be even better, and will make you room look fabulous!
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

Zmichelle, I see why you like acm's first painting: it looks just like the painting over the sofa. ;-) You need to branch out a bit.

Glad you lowered the mantel, and your last styling with the clock doesn't look bad, but you can do better.

BTW, you don't need anything on the wall above the TV, and when you mount it on the wall, make sure it's not too high. Just a few inches above the media cabinet is plenty. The center of your screen should be eye level anyway.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I found this artist on etsy...his work is amazing! Not sure of your budget..but check out his work it is really beautiful to look at!

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

Just a bit of color:

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 years ago

I'd definitely bring more color and texture into the space.

Some artwork ideas for you. All my work is listed here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/shoagallery Many colors and sizes to choose from.

Any of these in smaller size will work over your fireplace as well.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No worries with ease. I've been told I have an old soul, perhaps that's it. The greens and the magnolia flower are fake, but the rest of the plants are real. Thanks Georgia custom, I will keep that in mind. Ideahound, I did buy some pillows and throw etc I a teal color, but it was a bit too jarring for my taste and I returned it all. I really do like the idea of blue, but more of a muted color I'm thinking. I love all nature and am going for more of a natural effect. I took your advice Karen and moved the table and chair, and I appreciate your lengthy post and the time it took. I will be using more of those ideas! Grover, you hit the nail on the head with the beachy abstract. That is what I have wanted all along, but am trying to avoid the coastal room vibe. I love the art you selected. I agree, I need to branch out a bit. I'm not crazy about the pillow covers I ordered with the burlap and black. Right now they are reminding me to stop hurrying with a purchase! The painting over the sofa was ordered here from houzze and my husband really likes it. It was a bit expensive for me, but am having a hard time finding some thing to go with it. Is a beachy abstract ok? I just want little color that one might find in nature. I love birds and the beach, and would also like some shiny elements in the room. The mantle is starting to feel a bit too cluttered after a couple of days. I am having a hard time with eye level...I'm only 4 11 so my eye level is much different from most haha! Nice art shoe gallery, I will check it out.Thank you all so much. I am on the hunt for a beach art for the mantle, and will pick a blue from that. Is it best to stay away from a square resembling the firebox and go rectangle? I have been looking for a fireplace screen, but everything was too scrolly and busy.
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I need a new end table and would like to go round, and a new lamps as well.Would a glass one be better, or an off white (table) I'm trying to avoid any more dark heavy furniture. My "entry" table is too small, but special to me. Am willing to move it. Does the mirror look ridiculous over it? I'm feeling I could do better there, but I kinda like the whimsy. They lilacs are temporary, couldn't resist the scent, it lasts such a short time.
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I really like the first table and the blue in the art is much closer. I would like to add a few lighter elements. The light frames on the the last art is nice. Behind the chair on the angled wall feels like it needs something, but worry about overcrowding. I am a bit of neat freak! This town knows my name, I have returned so much stuff.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.