wrightyja65

Too neutral?

wrightyja65
7 years ago

Help, having serious doubts! Awaiting the arrival of 3 white leather sofas for my open plan living/kitchen.

Scared it's not going to work and look too clinical and cold. I've added in a few splashes of bold colour, have a natural wood looking floor and some large green plants! Also, I have white wooden blinds at the front but am south facing but don't know what to have at the back on the bi-Foulds!!!

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Casa Colori
    7 years ago

Hi wrightyja65

Well done for open plan living/kitchen it looks gorgeous. If you think the white couches could make the place to clinical, and you can cancel the order, I would add some splash of colors using cushions or a through out to make the environment more vibrant as you did for the dining area. If budget permits I would buy a rug in a warm color to put it under the beautiful coffee table.

I hope it helps

Regards

Silvia

• wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your kind words and comments! Yes i do plan to put a rug under the coffee table and bright cushions to warm it through! Ive come from an old house which i strangely found easier to renovate, the modern look is new to me, just want it to be welcoming! Would you put more colour at the bi fould doors or keep with warm neutral tones? Thanks.

• Related Discussions

Living room design help!

Q

Comments (10)
    I think wood floors are great. Solid if you can. Check which way the joists go as you may have to put noggins in to lay the wood in the best direction for the room. Also look into the options for soundproofing for the benefit of any rooms below or that it might make that room a bit echoey. Or carpet perhaps a beige not too light with a bit of 'powder blue in the twist. Change the darkest cushions for a similar blue. To enhance the modernity can you get rid of the arch over the stairs or even open up the side of the staircase putting in a bannister or floor to ceiling glass panels. If you paint the walls White be sure to invest in a number of sample pots to try different whites it's amazing how different they can look on different walls and in different lights.
    ...See More

Thoughts on Scandinavian style?

Q

Comments (36)
    Norwegian Scandi style is really cool with monochrome background but with great art work on the walls and accents of colour. At night it looks really cozy with lots and lots of candles which are all lit and replaced regularly . My son lives just outside Oslo and I visit a lot. His wife is Norwegian and also a designer by profession but their house always looks tremendous . You don't get bord with the minimalist design as it is regularly changed around.
    ...See More

Light or dark patio doors?

Q

Comments (3)
    Pale doors/windows will probably bring more warmth to the room, whereas dark will be more of a contrast. It entirely depends what kind of look you're after but for a statement, I'd go for dark!
    ...See More

colour scheme for neutral new build bathroom

Q

Comments (14)
    Ah... if you haven't moved in, stay off paint for a while. They can hide minor leaks! Pressure test the bathroom before painting. You will find it a lot less boring during summer! If you are ordering shutters, a non-white one might be a good option to start with. If you don't want to invest at such early stage, look up 247blinds, I always get my blinds from them and the blinds are very easy to install. Hope it helps :)
    ...See More
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    The wall art by the table and chairs is stunning. Really adds a splash of colour. I like the kitchen. I've seen red leather sofas alongside such colours as they've looked great.
  • wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, yes I toyed with the idea of red but a friend has red and it seems to over power her room. Thanks.

• Midcenturylass
    7 years ago
    I think it looks lovely, very smart. So far it all works nicely. I'm not sure about white sofas though, if only for keeping them clean with a kitchen and dining area so close! How about a mossy green sofa to go with the natural theme and colours in the picture. If you're keen on white and cream then go for it! But whatever colour, try a sofa with a lovely textured fabric like linen, and accessories with cushions to go with your picture.
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago

Stick to leather so you can wipe the sofas down. Cooking smells and grease go everywhere in close proximity.

• wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for comments. Very little major cooking goes on here and have a very good extractor. Appreciate your views.

• PRO
    Casa Colori
    7 years ago

Hi Apologies for the late reply. Personally I like the bifold windows corner as it is. I like the tulips on the wall and the floowers on the table.

silvia

• ianthy
    7 years ago

what about creating a feature wall in the kitchen area - I would go for a warm grey or blue? it's only paint... Maybe around the window and back wall.

• Pat Auld
    7 years ago
    I think it looks great. It will not look cold with white sofas just add some bright cushions. You've already got the idea with what you have done already. Once the sofas are in place you can then decide about windows. Maybe some voiles or textured linen
  • lynneamandahayes
    7 years ago
    It looks beautiful, I would pick out some of the colours of the picture for cushions. I would also change the blind to a Roman with maybe a subtle pattern in the same colours as cushions.
    You could also get a large vase or platter in these colours, only a few tiny tweaks and it will look stunning. Well done
  • neetay
    7 years ago
    Like the paint colour on the walls.
    What is it?
    I think it all looks lovely. Well done.
    Adding a few colourful cushions and a rug will really make it inviting
  • londoncottage
    7 years ago
    When you say 'clinical' is it perhaps a lack of 'cosiness' you are perceiving? If that is true I would look at adding some touches like throws, cushions, soft warm lighting (halogen lighting can be very harsh and the iplighter behind the plant casts some very jagged shadows on the wall...). Maybe even paint one of the walls a darker colour?

For open plan spaces - there was a good article a while back on how to separate them and give them their own feel. Worth trying to find to see what ideas it can give you on connecting, whilst toning down the 'clinical' feel in the seating area.
  • juliehanna59
    7 years ago

Firstly, I love the look you've created and think white leather sofas will look great. For me, the look says "modern and sleek" - with that in mind the only negative I can see is the number of items on the worktops/window sill. For me it makes the place look a little too busy - which runs contrary to the sleek overall picture. I would remove all these and place a large (fish bowl type) bowl of flowers at the end of the peninsula unit (using one of the colours from the picture - my personal choice would be the sunny yellow) and put another one in the middle of the table - that way the flowers won't fight with or obscure the view of the picture. I would also remove the plant from the corner. Adding cushions to the sofas which mirror the colour of the tulips in the picture would tie everything in. For the doors/window I'd use roller blinds which can be raised and lowered as the weather permits - I've used them in my own kitchen/diner to great effect. I've hidden the blind mechanisms under a pelmet - mine is in hardboard and I've covered it in lining paper and painted it he same colour as the walls - I've positioned it at ceiling level and it stops at the top of the door recess - thus allowing the doors to be opened fully. The roller blinds can be pulled up and hidden behind the pelmet when you want the doors open. I've used a double blind look - two separate blinds layered on top of each other - the outermost blinds are fine white fabric which obscured the sun but don't block out the light (I have a South facing dining/kitchen) and the second is a darker fabric which makes the room look smart, I've duplicated the look at the kitchen window. To maintain proportions, I have used the same size blinds at both - 6 across the doorway and 3 across the window - that may it looks uniform. Love your overall design, hope this helps.

• pete_claire_33
    7 years ago

This is very similar to my kitchen extension with white gloss units and cream quartz worktop in a large U shape. You have done a fabulous job and it looks amazing. I chose to have a Roman blind at the window and one large eyelet curtain across my bi-fold doors in a neutral colour (Laura Ashley Pussy Willow in Natural) It helps to make a large room feel cosy and helps stop that echoey feeling, having a curtain you can pull across the large doors helps keep the cold out too. The white sofas though lovely will look grubby after some time, dye from jeans is a killer on my white bar stools. I think if you soften the look with a blind and curtain, cushions and a nice rug the room will be stunning.

• Charnelle Els
    7 years ago
    Hi. I love what you've done with your space. If you're still unsure about the white sofas, how about tan in a modern design? Then potentially a white and beige rug for under the coffee table. Then dressed with bold coloured cushions to match your tulips. I'm not a professional but I love neutrals. Good luck, have fun.
  • wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sofa due anytime now so hey ho, will dress with bright cushions, tweek the rest once they are in place, thanks for all your comments!

• slinkyminky2
    7 years ago
    You've done a great job! Looks lovely. It's very similar to my open plan kitchen. I would keep it sleek and just maintain a very sleek and neutral look. Too much colour could look garish as you already have the lovely colourful artwork in the dining area. I love my white leather sofa but have softened the effect with a throw (from OKA). You will find it warmer, and it also stops dye transference from jeans to the white leather. Buy a white leather cleaning kit (I use one from the Furniture Clinic bought online) which you can spray on and wipe off with a stain remover and leather protection cream which I use twice a year. Keep cushions neutral as too much colour may compete with the artwork.
  • wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for commenting. Yours looks really lovely! I am going to invest in throws and a cleaning kit as the jeans issue concerns me. Can't wait to tweek everything now, getting a bit disheartening waiting for deliveries!!

• PRO
    Atom Interior Styling
    7 years ago

Lovely job. Colour wise i would go for all White. The you are free to add colours in the accessories

As for blinds i think these are a great idea.

• Pat Auld
    7 years ago
    I have a white leather bedroom stool and find the ordinary leather wipes from the supermarket brilliant for removing dye from jeans.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Hello,

I am sure I am just agreeing with many other people but I would say that firstly you have a fantastic space with a great design so well done.

It's nothing you have done or your new sofas that are the problem. With all interior design it's about balance and the balance here is missing between soft and hard furnishings. You have lots of surfaces that appear clinical because that's what clinical areas are like - they want clean, wipeable and reflective surfaces where possible. In the home however we warm things up with soft furnishings. They absorb sound and reflected light, the softness hard lines and make an environment much more appealing and comfortable to live in.

You can still stick with your white, maybe white voiles with the blinds, and add some throws and cushions to soften your sofas then a rug to tie it all together and ground it.

I hope it helps but feel free to drop me a message if you need anything else or advise.

All the best
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi. I think the space looks great as will the sofas. I agree with slinkminky adding too much colour to the sofas etc could look a little garish. I think for white sofas if you were using the art colours just one throw or one cushion can work better. Personally I'd go for pattern and different textures in shades of off whites, greige etc. A rug will be great to zone the living area and add softness as will table lamps.I think you just need to add some different textures to the room, wooden chopping board/s on the worktop, herbs in textured concrete pots, hammered metal fruit bowl, marble pestle & mortar etc. Faux stems such as eucalyptus or pussy willow are also good in glass bottle vases (cox and cox have some great accessories to add texture). Perhaps a throw for one of the dining chairs? Books somewhere also add warmth even if it's just a couple on a coffee table. I wonder if a sculptural pendant light would work? Something along these lines

http://www.tomraffield.com/products/ceiling-lights/no-1-pendant.php

• wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sofas arrived, very happy with them, comfortable too. Trying to now decide on cushions to add some balance to room. I'm leaning towards natural earthy colours to blend with a rug to soften things. I'm considering faux fur throws too. I currently have these crocheted blankets on as my dog is a princess, fortunately she's non moulting. Any ideas welcome. Don't fancy bold colours despite the dining area canvas.
  • PRO
    Atom Interior Styling
    7 years ago

sofas look great, i don't think you actually need scatter cushions on them. If you do i feel you should just have two and rectangular shaped ones like these

• wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    How about these Atom?
  • PRO
    Corinne Natel Art Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi - I love what you have done, it's a great interior! I think some original abstract artwork would really give it the finishing wow factor it deserves. Some examples below that could work well. Visit my website for more examples and feel free to contact me: www.corinnenatel.co.uk

• tavolla
    7 years ago

Slightly off topic , but where your sofa is from,please?

• wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The sofas were from a shop in Thurrock called The Furniture Gallery. I bought my previous brown leather ones from them 12 years ago, they were amazing so decided to return.
  • proctorlouise71
    7 years ago
    Could you kindly tell me the rough dimensions of this space? It looks very similar to what I am having built bit wondering if your's is bigger.
    Thanks!
  • wrightyja65
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi it's approx 12m by 7m.....hope that helps

• proctorlouise71
    7 years ago
    Thanks for taking the time to comment back.
  • Monica
    7 years ago

wrightyja65 you have received wonderful advice and I love how the space is coming together. I have a question for Slinkyminky2, can you please tell me where did you purchase the fabulous backsplash in your wonderful kitchen?

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.