kellyapte

£1500 for a new steel that architect and structural eng missed on plan

kellyapte
7 years ago

We are having an extension and loft conversion and are half way through. Building Regulations have come to assess/inspect the structural parts of the build so far. He flagged up a query on our existing part of house namely the arch to the thro lounge/diner. The structural engineer and architect have said there is a £150 design fee. So although we thought that was remiss of them, we still paid. Our builder now says that it'll be £1500 to put this new steel in!!! We're still in shock as new 'jobs' keep cropping up and this is a major amount for us on top of £1600 for pointing too.

Could someone please advise us on whether we have to pay this or can the architect and/or structural engineer split the costs? They both have their formal spiel to cover themselves but we, the customer/client has to fork out this. We realise there has to be contingencies for unforeseen works but we would imagine that 'assumed' calculations should still be addressed for a four storey house that might have a compromise to their existing supporting walls.

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.