tally17

Help! What to do about wood parquet and vinyl?

Natalia Moore
7 years ago

We've just discovered original parquet flooring in the hallway and through the sitting room which is fantastic! Except that there has been an extension to the front of the house (a larger entrance) which currently has 80s vinyl. The parquet is set into the concrete floor and the concrete level has been taken through the front extension so the vinyl is effectively sitting on top of the parquet. Added to that, there is the same issue in the kitchen and downstairs toilet. As we can't take up the concrete to lay new parquet at the right level in those areas we need to lay something different that meets it with a slight lip. We have two young children and had wanted very nice sheet vinyl to flow through from the front door, through the hallway and kitchen to the back door but we can't hide the beautiful parquet now we've found it! The house was built in 1967 and we are trying to decorate in a mid-century modern style to take it back to its time with modern updates. Any recommendations as to how to floor the front hallway extension/kitchen/toilet (we found original cork tiles) so that it leads into the parquet flooring in a good way? I'm open to something dramatic as I don't think there is much that will segue neatly into parquet! Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.