msmcandrew

Window Coverings for Sliding Doors (kid-friendly a must!)

msmcandrew
7 years ago

Looking for advice/recommendations for window coverings for sliding doors! We have 5 sliders in our home (master bedroom, office, kitchen, playroom & living room) & have been indecisive on window coverings since we had those & other windows replaced.

Here is the largest opening in our living room where we have temporarily rehung old vertical blinds but we are anxious to update!

We are looking for privacy & would love a light filtering option like vertical cellular shades but not sure if those are practical with small children (particularly in our playroom) or easy to keep clean. I'm worried about my small children messing with them like they do the existing vertical blinds and damaging expensive window treatments!

Vertical blinds seem the most practical and kid friendly but we would prefer an updated look if possible! Draperies seem bulky/heavy & we would like to be able to open up completely and don't have a ton of wall space to stack treatments when pulled open. Anyone have experience with the vertical honeycomb shades and how they hold up in homes with children? I would imagine that they would be pulled open during most of the day except when those rooms get direct sunlight.

A few more details: we have no drywall depth so whatever we do will need to be outside mounted. 3 sliders open to our pool deck and 2 to our screened porch so wondering if consistency is key. A couple of the rooms have other windows (no treatments yet) so wondering if those need to be similar (perhaps vertical cellular on sliders and horizontal cellular on Windows).

Anyone face this dilemma and have advice? (We ordered/installed cellular blackout shades in our nursery, but not certain that we want to DIY these large openings so suggestions for folks who have had them professionally installed vs DIYed would also be helpful!)

Thank you!!!!!

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.