justenjoy_design

bEdroom

Just Enjoy
7 years ago

Hi

My dilemma has been going on for nearly 3 years, when I created the mood board. The anxiety of it is really getting to me. So thought I would give you guys a shout out.

Thanks for looking and for your advice.

The mood board is what I would like for my room and the colour scheme.

I believe the space works as it is at the moment. Im open to suggestions though. The main issue I have is lack of storage. The sideboard keeps my art materials but need more. I may even have to build a purpose built sideboard for artwork and materials.

I'm wanting to put a fitted wardrobe but not sure how to get fitting right. or which wall. I want to put it on the longest wall ( where wardrobe an beds are now). To maximise storage space. The problem is also near the window if i have a wardrobe running the length of the wall ( where beds and wardrobe is). Where the wardrobe and window would meet. The wardrobe would block the window a little. I hope that makes sense.

Plan of room without other furniture:

Please excuse the mess! Boys are always messy and creative one is just chaos :D

Thanks again

Comments (10)

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    7 years ago

Hello! I wonder, do you plan to replace all existing furniture or plan to keep bed, desk? It is good to know size of furniture to keep to know exactly what else we can fit into your space. In any case, I have quick rough sketch of possible layout.

I would divide room on two areas casual where you sleep and get ready for a day and working/art and craft area. I would move bed on the wall, place bedside table with lamp and wardrobe for your clothes and shoes.

When you enter your room, you should see something you really like to get positive moment as first impression. For example you can place open shelves from floor to the ceiling and place your art work, cool picture frames or whatever you like or as alternative place a chest of drawers and place wall art above it. Next to it closed storage to keep all your art/craft stuff tidy and then near window place your desk. Continuous storage will look too bulky above desk and also will block the light, so I would add another pair of shelves. And so, there is no dilemma around storage you were worried about.

• PRO
    The Lighting Company
    7 years ago

Don't ever under-estimate how the lighting in a room can transform it. Check out our website www.lightingcompany.co.uk for some ideas!

• jillandbob
    7 years ago
    I agree with AlenaCDesign on several things. I would place the bed on the wall with the door. However I like to be able to get round a bed to make it and also be easier access for anyone sharing it, so I would move it almost to the door, with a small bedside table between it and the door. Your sideboard could then go the other side of the bed butting up to the windows with shelves above. Your desk opposite with shelves over. Then wardrobe from the desk to the radiator wall. That gives good light from the Windows for 2 working areas and easy access between them. Have a mega tidy up and ditch the huge armchair then try out!

I suggest you have an almighty tidy up, ditch the huge armchair and move stuff around to see how it feels.
  • jillandbob
    7 years ago
    Sorry I repeated myself at the end, I thought I had lost a line!
  • rusrat61
    7 years ago
    Why is the bed against the window? It would be more accessible more or less in the centre of the large wall. Then you wouldn't have to crawl over it to get to the far side. A statement headboard would look stunning and is preferable to leaning against a cold wall. Good lighting to read by in bed and bedside tables. You could fit wall lights (a al boutique hotel) or tall table lamps that's wouldn't get knocked over when reaching for your early morning cuppa. A mirror near a plug is an absolute necessity for hair-drying.
  • Ruth M
    7 years ago
    I think your sons creative mess is great! Although can understand your angst at trying to get it sorted...

Have you considered taller, floor to ceiling wardrobes? We tried these and the difference in extra storage space was amazing, plus so much less dusty! Things like the suitcase could be hidden away.
    Does the bed HAVE to be by the window? If not, and i see you already have a desk that fits perfectly under the window which is great for working light for him. you could bring the bed towards the door so that all the creative 'mess' is away from the door allowing tidier sleeping and dressing, and allowing the remainder of the room as his personal creative space. I stayed away this summer in a house that had an ikea headboard Mandal where you slot shelving in around the bed- would be fab for your look and creates more storage without using floor space. You could also consider reversing the door to open straight into the room- i suppose it depends on how much privacy he demands.

At risk of sounding like an ikea advert (
  • Ruth M
    7 years ago
    ...Cut myself off there!
    At the risk of sounding like an ikea advert their Pax system is a more economical option to professional built in wardrobes. The deep built in draws would be also great for flat storing art works.
    There is a lot of wasted space by the door wall- you could start with a slimmer unit going round into a corner unit then going down the longest wall all storage (mirrored doors for light and space or a mix) ending with a desk or draws unit so you dont loose the valuable window light. Then a clear space followed by the current desk parallel to the bed, or the window wall could be partial or complete under window surface (desk/ draws/ book shelves) meaning he would have a light and spacey area to work that didnt take over the whole room, and not covering the window. The current blinds would stay perfectly, although the curtains might be clunky/ maybe blackout blinds could be pulled down?
    Ive attached a (very) rough sketch which i hope is comprehendible!

Id love to know how you get on
  • stabmonkey
    7 years ago

You could rehang the door so that it opens towards the wall, but the light switch might be difficult to use. I like a bedroom to have the bed as the main feature so I'd put the bed on the opposite wall to the door.

• Just Enjoy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi thanks for all your comments and ideas... They're really helpful and have given me even more ideas! Just to let you know its my room lol, i dont have a child. I have cleared up a little and the brown chair has left the building, eventually. But unfortunately, we've had such a nightmare with the rest of the house, and the holidays are up. I'm having to put my bedroom on hold again... watch this space, when I do get it done you guys will be the first to know

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.