pratik_shah30

Please help - utility/toilet/office layout?!!!

pratik_shah30
7 years ago

Hey all! Hope you can help us - we are trying to decide on the layout of a room we are splitting up as part of some extension works. Thank you in advance.

We've attached three plans (two options plus a blank(ish) base plan) plus two photos of what the Option 2 rooms could look like (albeit we don't know the sizes of these).

We want to end up with:

a) utility

- to include space for a washing machine and dryer (both to be inside a below worktop cupboard), sink and wall-mounted combi boiler, plus wall cupboards above worktop

- if possible but not essential also space to dry clothes / iron.

b) toilet

c) if possible, we would have space for a small office including desk

But we don't want (c) if it means that the combined toilet/utility in one of the options below is not actually workable.

The two options are:

1. Separate utility (with space for drying clothes / ironing) and separate toilet

2. Combined toilet/utility and a small home office

We've tried to account for the necessary space but don't know exactly how much space is needed for a toilet (and around a toilet) and whether having the sink next to the toilet in Option 2 is workable? Could the toilet be squashed up against the wall to give more space to stand by the sink?

If anyone has any other bigger ideas then then feel free to look at the kitchen/dining room to give any ideas either just for the kitchen layout or if you see a big benefit in taking the wall out at the bottom of the kitchen / top of the toilet / above the chimney breast to complete change the kitchen / utility / toilet layout then feel free to shoot across some ideas but we're hoping that one of the options below will work!

To give some context, it's a Victorian semi-detached house and we have a hallway leading to where you can see on the plans, and also a large (2 rooms knocked-through) living room. We are building a single storey rear extension roughly where it goes out wider on the plan and whilst this is an awkward shaped room, there are reasons (mainly cost) for doing it like we are.

Thank you!!!

Contemporary Home Office · More Info

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.