alisonmizon

Geometric meets vintage - ideas

We live in a nice studio flat so I'm quite interested in keeping things minimal but with character.

I love the geometric prints I'm seeing around at the moment but we have a few vintage pieces of furniture which means.... wood!

How do I mix geometric and vintage? I'm a creative soul. Considering painting our bookcase white (we have white walls and dark wood flooring) and using my metallic Sharpie paint pens to design a geometric pattern. Our chimney breast is I guess our feature wall - TV is on white shelves and I stencilled my own birdcage design in greens, greys, blues, etc.

Recently got the lovely light grey Emlyn Habitat sofa (see photo) which I've added a couple of black/ white triangle print cushions to and a bright throw. My other half made our coffee table out of old pallets, it looks really rustic and works great in the space!

I'm just a bit torn between painting our wood furniture white... I love the personality of old furniture and I think the white or possibly a very light grey will add more light to the room.

Also finding it difficult to pick a good rug - I want a large rug but unsure if I should go with a black and white chevron print or go for bright colours?

It's been a huge task but we finally got there... Until fairly recently I loved the whole vintage style with lots of bits and bobs all over. I've now given away and sold a lot of pieces in order to create a lighter and spacious living area and kept my old style in the bedroom area of our studio.

I also have a vintage Singer sewing machine which we use as our desk space but I refuse to go anywhere near that with a paintbrush ;)

Ideas welcome x

p.s. one last thing... I have an Ikea Poang armchair, any thoughts on using a white faux sheepskin throw to add warmth?

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.