stripygoose

Advice for hiring someone to design and build a house

Gavin McFarland
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm curious about what it would take to hire someone to design and build a house and if it would be beyond our means. Does anyone have any experience in this? For us I think there are two things holding us back from doing this:

• The first is finding some land and the right location. I hear it can take people years to find land in the right location for the right price.
  • The second is what route we take to design and build our house. Some people might choose to self-manage it themselves, others might choose to hire someone to take care of the design and build together.

I wanted to hear the communities thoughts on these two points. What did you? How did you find the land? What actions did you take to make sure you find the land you wanted? Any websites you can share? Did you hire someone to design and build your house or did you manage the build yourself? Did you use a kit home to make it easier and save money?

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.