tdharvey86

Full Refurb - Layout Issues (to start with!)

Charlie Spaniel
7 years ago

We recently purchased this beautiful old stone coachhouse in Yorkshire and are about to embark upon a full refurbishment. It's an exciting yet daunting project and we'll undoubtedly have many questions to ask along the way. Our style is traditional but with subtle hints of more contemporary styling.

Our current dilemma is where to put a wood burning stove. We already have an open fire in the main living room (the yellow room in the Rightmove photos) but we intend on keeping this as a formal living room and want to make the kitchen / dining room the main living area, and would like a wood burning stove for extra warmth and as a bit of a focal point.

We had originally thought about putting it in the corner of the kitchen (where you can see there's currently an old Victorian range) but we're thinking it might be better to be in the adjoining dining room area as it's in the middle of the house (better for heating) and there's more space for things like sofas and a television.

The problem is that this house was never built with residential living in mind and the middle room is an awkward proposition with 3 doorways in 3 of the 4 corners and wide windows spanning 2 of the 4 walls. Then of course it must be positioned so that the flue has easy access to an external wall.

Obviously had to get a clear idea of something with just photos to look at (though there are floorplans on the Rightmove link above too) but any thoughts on this (or anything else in the house) would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.