sue_brown32

Different sized alcoves next to chimney breast

Sue Brown
7 years ago

I am in the process of "doing up" (on a budget) my living room. I have an open plan living room / kitchen / stairs. As you can see, I have a small chimney breast (approx 80mm deep). The TV is on this. However, the alcoves at each side are different widths as the house is open plan. To the right is a small alcove and then there is the wall to the edge of the room / door. To the right is about three times that width and then the stairs.

My original plan was to put narrow shelves either side of the chimney but I'm worried that, if I put symetrical shelves

that it will make the longer wall that stretches to the stairs look "off." Is it better in a space with differing widths to do similar or completly different things?

Help!!

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.