matthewreavey

Do these architects fees sound reasonable?

matthewreavey
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

We recently hired an architect for a planned rear extension to our house. We were quoted just under £3k which would include the following stages:

- Survey and design studies

- Drawings for finalised scheme

- Planning application

- Buildings regs application

Whilst at initial drawing stage the architect suggested extending out to the side as an alternative and as a result we settled on a plan to combine aspects of both the rear and side plans. When we suggested this to the architect, they pointed out that as this was 2 separate areas of the house, it would require an additional couple of days of their time during the stages of planning and buildings regs, which would equate to approx an extra £1300, bring costs overall to approx £4300 + VAT. I have no knowledge in this area so am in no way suggesting this is unreasonable, but the extra part was unexpected. So I thought I'd try and find out if this additional fee sounds reasonable for what we're asking, before I go ahead or not.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has on this.

Many thanks

Matt

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.