Need help finishing an area in the garden....

millen_jill
21 May, 2017
last modified: 21 May, 2017

We are nearing the end of a complete house renovation project and now turned our attention to the garden..we have a lovely established garden, but having created a raised patio in ceramic tile I don't know what to put at the side of the garden... my thought was Astro turf between the house and hedge and stones with matching ceramic tiles (we have 8 left over) next to the raised patio and in front of the Astro turf. We are planning to change the fencing to Venetian style redwood cedar colour as we have it on the front of the house.

we look after our granddaughter two days a week so the Astro turf could come in useful all year round.... but I don't need any more lawn as we have plenty...I just want a pretty but useful to sit on area as it gets the sun most of the day and evening....

please can anyone help?.

• mayfly182

I'm never a fan of astroturf but I think it sticks out particularly badly next to real grass. How about purple slate chippings for that area instead? I think the colour would go especially well with your dark windows and patio furniture.

• millen_jill51

I agree purple slate would look good but I planned the AstroTurf not to be next to the real grass so it wouldn't compare ....

slate or stone wouldn't be user friendly for our granddaughter so wouldn't want the whole area done .....,and also want to be able to have sofa area outside so need a level surface..Astro turf may not be the solution...possibly decking or sleepers....just want to break area up and make more interesting

I agree that fake grass can look great (I have it!) but it won't against the real thing...... plus the best way to lay this is on compacted gravel or granite and so won't be soft for a play area.
    Assuming the grand children the age they need a play area I would screen the side area with trellis, lay play bark or rubber chippings and then add a trampoline or play set or sand pit. When the grandchildren have outgrown the play area this could become a herb garden, a secret garden, a barbecue area, a croquet lawn, somewhere for a greenhouse, an additional private sunning area, somewhere for a hot tub, bar area or wildlife reserve.
  • Jen P

I'd just lay more lawn there if you want it is a play area

• rachelmidlands
    Lovely garden and patio. Since you have quite a large expanse of grass does this area need to be a soft play area? If you're planning on having a sofa set I would go for a mixture of decking, slabs and pebbles. Possibly include a raised bed to teach young ones how to grow things, kitchen herbs or some colourful cabbages. Some inspiration:
  • rachelmidlands
    Just an after thought, how about something super cool which kids will love like a pod or swing chair.
  • millen_jill
    Love the pics Rachel...maybe I need to think of decking and stones/plants...like that idea...
    You can't see from the photo of garden but we have slide and swing and also shed beyond the bushes so our granddaughter can keep toys in.
    We get the evening sun at the rear of the garden so also a BBQ area and sun loungers are here.. I'm thinking of creating a further dining area over there eventually!
    Back to the area next to the house which is next to the patio and dining area I would like it to be a chilled area with planters and seating as per the pics.. it's just choosing the right ground cover (decking or stone and pavers are now becoming my favourites)