rose_williams31

Planning new bathroom and ensuite Argh!

Rose Williams
6 years ago

Can someone who is used to looking at bathroom layouts and how they practically turn out have a look at these ideas for me?

How would you do this?

This is a bedroom, which is being reduced to 4.53Metres long, 3.06wide and being split up into a main bathroom and en-suite, also taking part of the main bathroom for a wardrobe off the bedroom.

This is not going to be easy, or cheap because the floors are 1940's industrial building concrete foundation, and the external wall is solid, no cavity 40+cm engineering brick so I am not up for re-positioning external window, only remodeling under the existing lintel. Due to the floor, it is likely that the shower areas will be raised up to allow for the shower waste etc.

Due to stairs and positioning of the future dining room NOT to have a door onto the bathroom, the door placements are pretty static, so is the portion for the much needed wardrobe, however the bathrooms dividing wall can be positioned anywhere.

A couple thoughts of my own.....
Plan A, 1) spacious, with lots of storage, private large feeling bath area.

Plan A, 2) Spacious again, loos for both rooms plumbed to same place,

1 large floating sink unit, wall mounted loo, and room enough to put one heck of a fancy enclosure in if we want.

Plan B, 1) Separate shower is a big bonus especially for guests. Separate bath for the boy ...and the dog.

Leaves that typical awkward area to the side of the bath.

Plan B, 2) We both get what we want, maybe room for another vanity area opposite shower?

Plans C&D are created solely to take advantage of the WINDOW/external wall which could be split to benefit both rooms.

ensuite (2) would only have room for a shower? but perhaps more appropriate size for an en-suite?, but is there enough room?

Main bathrooms (1), Enough room being long and thin?, but what I do like are the way areas can be separated, more private feeling bath area.
Here are some rough visualisations I made for Plan A which I like, but don't want to regret wasting the space :)
Ensuite:

Main:

Comments (19)

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, the tandem shower/bath is not such a bad idea after all then... but I've never seen one!

• Related Discussions

Need help for my Master Bathroom en-suite layout

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi All - taking on board your comments I have come up with three variations. Of course would love your comments! The distance from vanity to WC in plan 1 is approx 60cm - it could be made a bit more. This falls within the guideline you posted (23inches). More space could be created by making the shower a bit narrower (shown on all 3 plans as 1m wide (39 inches). I don't think there is quite enough space to divide the room and the problem with the idea of the bath right in the middle is that on a practical basis we would have to walk around it on a daily basis to get to the shower! Could quickly get very annoying!
    ...See More

En-Suite bathroom or Study?

Q

Comments (4)
    I think your best best is to ask an estate agent as to what people want specifically in your local area and the type of buyers your house would attract. I think nowadays people would expect at minimum a bathroom and separate toilet for a house that size. Personally I would want an ensuite, babies grow (sorry!) and a study is really only useful if you work from home a lot or cannot fit a working space for homework etc. Spending 2-3 k could add a lot more value to the house and attract a bigger selection of buyers.
    ...See More

My ensuite bathroom doesn't have a door. Advice appreciated!

Q

Comments (7)
    Interesting room........what is this weird fashion for open plan bedrooms and bathrooms? I can see why you want to change it. I think a carpenter or builder will be able to narrow the doorway and fit a door. That bath is amazing! They cost a fortune but if you hate it then I’m sure you can sell it. A builder can also fit a ventilation fan in the bathroom for you. Good luck with it all.
    ...See More

Proposed ensuite and family bathroom

Q

Comments (9)
    During our 60s bungalow refurb we decided to have a bath in the en-suite - because I like to have a bath. The main bathroom is fitted with a large walk in shower. This works well for us because my husband and most visitors prefer a shower, so they can use the main bathroom. We also had the issue of shower in front of the window so we had bathroom made smaller and then matched the new en-suite window to it. In our case it was important to me to match the windows as they’re visible on entry to the driveway.
    ...See More
  • claire morgan
    6 years ago

It depends on weather you use a shower or bath more. Plus If you want to sell your property later on - its worth more to keep the bath in. (Option B is nice I just worry about how much space is in the entry way to the bath.)

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    I think it depends where you are going to be able to exit the waste from the WC (presumably through the external wall-which one is that?)
    I think the division of space also depends on how many people will be using each room. If yours is a two bedroomed property then the ensuite should be the best room. If yours is a family sized property then the bathroom needs to be better.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I think i'd probably get a concept planner on the case like CreatePerfect or OnePlan amongst others. It's a lot easier to have an opinion when you can see the one room and where it is in relation to all other rooms, as there may be possibilities for entrances not thought of.

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The house was a 5 bedroom bungalow, but now remodelled to end up with 3 bedrooms downstairs, and the roof being like an enormous hipped pyramid has room for quite a few more rooms. The ridiculously thick external wall is to the bottom of the images, with the window shown as a blue line on A & C.
    Here is how it was 1 year ago. ...

This is exactly as it is now, after removing walls, and building another...
    Here is what I am now looking to do:
    I placed the door to the main bathroom at the right, under the stairs so that it doesnt interfere with any furniture placement in the "hallway" which I want to increase the size of to make it more useable as a room and would put the door at the end of the main run through to centre of the house, but as you will see in the picture above, having the door in the "hall" gives yet another idea for the bathroom layout.
    The main bedroom is showing a bit tight to enter the en-suite, however this is our wooden superking that is oversized, if we ever get upstairs, it will have a more "normal" bed.
    Once the old "dead" bathroom is gone, and door put in which lead to the main rear garden, the amount of light it will let in will be immense... that is IF I can convince a builder to do it.
    What I have got from this so far is best to stick to plan A with the ensuite, and keep it with just a large shower and look at other places to put the loo. My husband would be the primary user and he would never set foot in the main bathroom. I however like my bath and I REALLY want that 1800x800 bath ... just want to not be bothered with my son going to the loo at least 3 times while I am in it.
    I have to decide SOON, so I can take a sledge hammer to the old bathroom.

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maybe I was going about it all wrong. If the wardrobe was a part of the suite, it means less openings to make in the bedroom, more accessible too. The only thing I am not so sure about is a door at the bottom of stairs

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    I concur that you need the advice of a designer. It seems that this property is evolving organically and I think you are making decisions based on what has gone previously. I think you need to be mindful of the living space expected when you have a lot of bedrooms (which you will have when you develop upstairs)
    Keeping the original bathroom position is most cost effective as the soil pipe is already there. However I understand that if the best aspect of the garden is this side of the house then it warrants moving the bathroom. Should you move it to where you have the living room it would mean you could use a bigger bedroom for your oversized bed and then have the living room with a good garden view where originally you placed the main bedroom. Presumably there would be a cost advantage- I assume there is drainage nearby because of the kitchen.

If you are set on having the bathrooms in this bedroom then I would have a shower room for your Son, you have a good ensuite bathroom and add an additional bathroom to your upstairs plans.
  • Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Interesting layout Jonathon. There are a few issues with that idea though. The office is extremely important and is placed where you put the ensuite which is the main entrance to the house, also with the advantage of sitting here at my desk I can see out onto the main driveway etc. Where you have put the entry is around the back of the house which has only a slither of land that was once severely neglected. You have also re-introduced hallways, something I was very keen to eliminate. Since moving the living area central, we all spend so much time together, and where I sit, I can see out of both the living room and kitchen windows, and benefit from light from both of those and the window at the back. The hipped roof also has a steel truss structure in it which means the ideal location for stairs is to end as close to the centre as possible to make any layout work up there. Where you put the main bed has also got a partial obstruction of the window by the double garage.
    With looking to re-mortgage in a years time, even though we plan to go into the enormous loft to increase bedrooms, I have to be very mindful not to reduce the bedrooms and possible spaces that can be easily converted to bedrooms too much.
    I knew I should have put up the plan of the whole grounds, but will do in a moment.
    The building was built mid war by the HMO, basically the ex telecommunications building, and thus originally one big open oblong bomb proof construction. When it was converted in the mid 80's all the internal walls were made of block and lime render so nothing is easy here. The advantage however is one industrial scale drainage system, full storm drains all around, where the existing sewerage all goes through the general water wast etc (I know, "fun"), but finding drainage is not hard. The original loo was at the left of the kitchen and main sewer access out the the front of the kitchen. No matter what, I'm going to have to make use of macerators.

The garden, drive and patio have not been done yet, only a railway sleeper wall all the way down the back. The spa house is an existing block "shed" I'm looking to re-purpose but the back yard is more or less a blank canvas, there is only the one double garage at the front, the one at the back is only an idea (petrol heads here). You can see the main entrance clearly now though. As for the path ... no idea what I'm doing with that, except look after the Robins that nest there, perhaps the bin station etc.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I do agree with Jonathan that you need a planner. Let's start with how many bedrooms you want to end up with? At present there are three allocated downstairs and more planned for upstairs. You have already said that the master-suite will go up there eventually, yet you are planning to obscure the garden end with a large bedroom and second small study / lounge area where normally you would put a lounge area ( overlooking the garden as per Jonathan's plan ).

I understand how you can get stuck with an idea, and now that you have removed the walls and the space works better for you, it's easy to stay like that when it may well be possible to move things around and end up with something even better.

If you are looking to re-mortgage and amend further, then it's imperative that you don't get part 1 wrong. Part 1 may not be perfect to live with in the interim, but when you get to part 2 it should be.

It would help enormously to have some dimensions BTW. And, one more thing, where is the main entrance? I'm lost.

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As I said, the main entrance is where the office is, at the driveway/main entrance end, pic of house is on my profile. I also put an image of the grounds above. The furniture in the plans are to scale.
    There needs to be a "main" bedroom downstairs, 1 for eg my mother in law who cant climb stairs when she visits, or if my daughter moves in, or if my spine gives in again and I end up in a wheelchair. Another thing to bear in mind is that to build upstairs, the walls downstairs will become supporting walls with a timber frame on top.

To give an idea of scale, the main block of the house is 19x10metres (external measurement). The office at the front is 4.2mx3.8, living room 4.2x6metres. the sitting/dining area with doors to the garden will be 3metres wide x 6.4metres visible from the central lounge
    As a general rule, we use the lounge as a cinema room. Right now, we are able to see into the kitchen which has a 105Wx220Hx40Dcm deep opening, talk while cooking etc. I originally wanted to take some wall out of the kitchen to make a breakfast bar/ or build out the dining table into the living area, but nobody wants to touch what is essentially an external wall between the kitchen and living.
    I decided to move into the end bedroom and make that the master because the sunlight streams in there on a morning, which is very pleasant to wake up to.

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This has turned from bathroom layouts to laying out the whole house!
    So I'll show you the living room right now, where you can see the wall I will be moving inline with the existing bathroom wall, this also removes the "tunnel" doorway from the current main bedroom.
    Hopefully you will see how big that "hall" is, although not QUITE wide enough to be a useable space. When that is widened and the bathroom gone it will be a very bright living area

This shows the "tunnel" doorway and the bathrooms to the right of this room will finish inline with that end wall there, which is where the current bathroom is.

The block obstruction is a 10x11foot "shed", which I will be making some changes to and probably put a hot tob in it ...why waste a good concrete base

the bathroom that needs to DIE and make way for garden view/access. Its been over a year fighting over this one horrid room now.

This is what I have got to with the bathrooms. One door off the bedroom (pictured above), and door to the other at what will be the bottom of the stairs:
    The green lines indicate dividers, glass,

• PRO
    BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
    6 years ago

The first thought that comes to my mind is that despite the advantage of having natural ventilation in both bathrooms, options C and D are forced on the space. Options A and b both look like the right way to go but the master bathroom is too big. I would make it a rectangle 140 wide, with a shower at the end with entrance near the window and a toilet and sink next to it on the wall with the other bath. then you get a larger square main bath with one wall long enough for a tub and separate shower.

We’re always happy to help if you need any further advice.
    If you’d like one of our floor plan design experts to help you optimise your space - visit our website: www.betterspace.co

We offer a low, a fixed-price package that include tailored design, furniture layout recommendations and a professional floor-plan drawing as well as a 3D package which includes a 3D floor-plan and photo-realistic images that will help you visualise your new design.

You can use promo code ‘houzz’ for a further 15% discount!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Hiya, Totally agree, you poor woman, getting off track - So, how about these two for options. I basically gave you the option of having a walk in wardrobe area with or without wall on the main bedroom, plus a nice large master bathroom with free standing bath and a walk in shower, all makes for a good Master suite. The other bathroom off the hallway is then just a shower room, more than enough hopefully.

View from Master Suite ( with wall taken away )

Shower room on the right and master on the left with wall taken away for viewing.
    Same as view above from a slightly different angle showing tall storage in shower room, and view through master bath from the bath area.

Hope this helps!

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not moving or building walls, or knocking through doorways until I'm sure what I want. Living in the house while remodeling it is quite a challenge.
    There are very differing opinions around what size the bathrooms should be here too.
    Having only one door in the bedroom has massive advantages where there is no door right next to his side of the bed being a superking, and also having no door there means that any other bed, even a king could be moved to back onto that wall, tv opposite wall etc. As a main bedroom with a double bed, there isn't room for a wardrobe due to the window size, those drawers are all we have, and the rest is in suitcases ...hence my insistence of taking a chunk out of the room next door to accommodate us.... more on shelving and shoes than hanging space though.
    There only really needs to be a decent shower for my husband in the en-suite and carry out the "three S's" on a morning.
    Plumbing worries me due to the structure of the house, so I'd like to try to make a common area eg back to back on the loos to help with what will already be a nightmare, however one on the external wall already may be a good thing.
    I want a good sized bath but not stand alone, I want surface area around it, none of this having to reach behind or to the end or to the floor for the shampoo and perching the soap dish on the side any more. At the moment, I take a little table and place it in the middle of the bathroom floor with candles and the tablet to catch up on shows, as this is really the only time and place I get to do that! The only time I see a shower cubicle is to wash dye out of my hair.
    Thanks for the sounding board and ideas, good to get opinions... I'll be back with something more refined taking all into account :)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Thinking about the bed and the door / the wardrobe etc. You could have an entrance by the wardrobe and not 'his' side of the bed. You also increase the wardrobe from the original plan from 2300 to 2750mm. Change the free standing bath for a 'proper' full size bath, I too prefer to reach for the shampoo at the end etc. Something like this:-

I wish you all the luck..................it can be a mind boggling exercise of which you end up getting more than frustrated. I'm sure it will all go well, you've certainly put a lot of thought in to everything, and you are obviously aware of all the pitfalls etc.

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    What about if you move the door into the bedroom to where you intended a wardrobe, then moved the bed to the window end of the room allowing you to put the walk in wardrobe where you would have previously had the headboard?
    This way there is a vestibule at the bedroom entrance giving privacy although this could always be removed to make the bedroom bigger.
    Nb- the used app only has small showers and stand alone baths- I am sure you can see there would be room for bigger showers and a different bath.
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Or it might feel bigger if you had full width wardrobes rather than a walk in wardrobe
  • Rose Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ive had a play, so ....

The software was a bit naff in furniture choice, and custom shapes, but I think that gets the idea across. Nice design Jonathon, although I dont think the dimensions of the bedroom would allow for that, and hallways drive me mad. Youre right to point out that I could re-model the bedroom wall to, just that these are solid block walls, and I already have 1 to knock down, 2 to build and 2 openings to make... its just how much work it stepping over the line...

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.