khmiller614

Creative fixes for door dilemma?

Kari Miller
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My house was built in 1994, apparently by someone who didn't give much thought to how the laundry room would function. We're planning to sell the house soon and I'm looking for a possible solution. To be code, the garage door is supposed to open in. The laundry room door also opens in. After a few pinched fingers, we went with a temporary solution of a storm door that opens into the garage. But it's still a really tight laundry room, especially as the wall oven goes into it. I love the idea of a pocket door to go behind the fridge, but it's more work than we want to take on, and there's really no place to move that light switch anyway. A barn door going over the oven might work, but can it slide over the oven handle and still actually fit the door frame? The washing machine is loud. A barn door would be the easiest and cheapest solution, but I don't know if it will slide out over the handles and then slide back into the door.

There's also really nowhere else in the house to relocate the laundry room and just convert this into a mudroom. Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.