kris_nocker

Throw your 2c in to our complete refurb! First time refurb'ers, help!

Kris Nocker
6 years ago

We're just in the final processes of purchasing a new home. It is about double the size of our current home and needs a lot of work done to it - it was last decorated in 1978 (including the kitchen upstairs for the granny flat).

It's an old house with a rear extension, we know what we're doing with upstairs, but we're in limbo and undecided on what to do with downstairs. The floorplan is attached. Our initial idea was to open out the entire rear extension and put a utility room and wc in it, then also have the kitchen/dining/chill out area in there too (likely to be adding glass double doors at the end to look out to the garden).

However, after looking at the space involved we're not sure we'd have a lot of space left for kitchen/dining/chill area if we add a utility/wc in the rear.

We also looked to explore converting the sitting room (see floorplan) in to a utility (just off the kitchen and split the other half (at the hallway door) in to a shower room, this would allow us to have a useable wc/shower room for overnight guests (keeping bedroom 2 as a bedroom) and still have a downstairs wc.

The pictures I have attached are of the floorplan, some internal pictures of the kitchen, dining room, sitting room (the pink carpet and lonely chairs), bedroom 2 (blue carpet, looking out to the back), master bedroom (pink carpet and bed), and the shower room (through the wall from the dining room).

Our potential idea is to have the lounge remain as a lounge and the downstairs master bedroom turned in to a toy room for our little boy (and any others that may appear in the future). As a note, we know there is a soil pipe in the middle of the external wall between the master bedroom and sitting room as there is a shower room right above.

Ideally we'd like a place that we can use as the heart of the home (like the kitchen, dining room we look to make open plan) but we really think we need a utility room and we definitely need a downstairs toilet. Had thought about converting the sitting room to a more formal dining room but we're not sure how much we would use it as a "formal" dining room...

As a secondary note, there is a large room upstairs that we are converting to our own bedroom and two separate bedrooms upstairs. At the moment there is also a kitchen upstairs (it really is a granny flat) which we're going to be converting to a master bathroom. We've got one wee boy just now and will likely have at least one more kid in our future. Upstairs floorpan included for completeness.

Any ideas welcome to open our horizons, crazy ideas most welcome! :)

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.