pipistrail

Renovating a 1960's 3 bed semi - help with layout and kerb appeal!

Pippa Ev
6 years ago

Hi everyone.

My husband and I have just bought our first house - a 1960's 3 bed semi-detached. The previous owners lived there since it was first built, and it needs a lot of love and a bit of a rethink to make it really work as a modern home.

We've been going round in circles trying to work out how to make the best of the space and of our money, and would really appreciate any thoughts or tips you might have.

Top priorities are:

• Rewiring throughout
  • Replacing the dodgy utility extension off the kitchen (single skin walls) and squeezing in a downstairs loo/utility space. This is the real driver, as my mother in law is in a wheelchair, so we need an accessible downstairs loo

On top of that, we're thinking about:

• Raising the floor level in the conservatory to match the house, so that it's accessible
  • Extending the garage out the front, so that it's still usable - we're probably going to take the space for the loo out of the back of the garage, and my husband has a kit car to store
  • Also adding a porch at the front - a mix of aesthetic and storage reasons
  • Possibly removing the chimney? It takes up a large amount of space out of the living/dining room

As you can see from the photos, the front drive is long as the house is set back from the road, so we're hoping that will help.

Photos below, as well as the current layout, and some possible new layouts we've been thinking about. What do you think would make the best use of the space and meet our needs?

(Kitchen, looking toward utility door)

Option 1: Knocking through between kitchen and diner, adding loo and porch

Option 2: Same as option 1, but also taking out chimney breast in the living room

Option 3: Same again, but with a slightly bigger, angled porch

Option 4: The megabucks version, with a kitchen extension at the rear as well (probably too much money and not sure how it could intersect with the conservatory, but we're at the blue skies thinking stage!)

Comments (65)

• Pippa Ev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Nick. I agree with you on wider doors - those sorts of changes are not about us adding value, but about making the space practical.

On access to the garage, I agree that access from the hall would be nicer, but from a practicality point of view I wonder whether access from the back is better, eg to cart out garden waste?

Good point about fire doors - we'll need to think about that

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    If you put a door at the back of the garage your kitchen extension will be narrower so you may want to extend out further
  • Related Discussions

Updating 1960's house exterior

Q

Comments (46)
    This is what the exterior looks like so far. We have been approved planning permission to extend single storey, front and side With sky lantern. we are set on a flat roof with wildflower and sedum. Considering keeping the tiles. front door will be moved forward and there will be a window on the left. Not sure what the new render should be for the extension? Brick ? Trying to keep all costs down but Still have a Clean and contemporary finish...... I realise now I should have been braver with the windows! Tut tut!!!
    ...See More

Large 1960s house needs a facelift

Q

Comments (35)
    I love this house. I'd suggest keeping the front door recessed. That little bit of shelter over your head will be useful when you or your guests arrive and it's raining.. You've had some great suggestions.
    ...See More

Unusual 1930s House Renovation Project - Ideas? Help?

Q

Comments (17)
    Jonathan, AMB, thank you ever so much for your advice and designs! We had been toying with the idea of pulling the garage forward. Back in the early 2000s, planning permission was rejected for a double garage in the opposite corner of the driveway but a sensible solution would be to come forward next to the neighbouring property, no light issues and should not upset the 'street scene'. I've always been keen on moving the stairs but associated costs have dampened my spirits a little. That saying, in there current guise they are incredibly steep and dangerous for the young and elderly. A new configuration may well improve the landing space/flow on the first floor. I completely agree about the driveway, my initial thought was grasscrete but we'll never have more than two cars... if that. With us eventually getting some gates up, that could be quite an inviting space. I've been watching a lot of house shows and they always mention about being able to see the garden from the front entrance which you have captured in that floor plan. Phases of work is a strong debate and you are not wrong AMB. I guess once we have a final plan, the phase of the works should fall into place. The fireplace was a family heirloom of the previous owner, took it out his grandad's property apparently! In terms of decor, we want to embrace the character of the property with an added modern twist. We are very keen to incorporate a hallway for the very reasons you mentioned. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions, all very useful.
    ...See More

Floorplan help please - Kitchen and master bedroom ensuite / wiw

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Rinq, thank you so much for taking the time to draw up some possible floor plans for us - this has been incrediby helpful. I love your proposed layout for the kitchen. My only concern with your design is that the wall with the kitchen- diner entrance is load bearing and would therefore require structural work to move. Presumably this would not be an issue, just something I will need to discuss with a builder for an estimated cost. Do you think there would be enough room in the kitchen to add a pennisula on the external wall of your design, turning your design into a G shape kitchen? This is something we are considering but it is hard to tell whether the area would feel cramped. I have attached a screenshot of another kitchen design that my partner likes which utilises an island although I do not think our kitchen diner has enough space for this. Again, thank you for considering and proposing a floor plan for the 1st floor. Your approach to moving the master suite to the left of the property makes complete sense and appears a better utilisation of space, although walking this through in the house we have realised the views are much better on the right hand side of the property from the existing master bedroom and feel it would be best to keep this as the master. Do you have any recommendations on how best to use the extension for an en-suite & walk in wardrobe i.e. layout of bathroom items, which way round to have the two rooms, and also considering the window positioning & soil pipe that will need to be inserted to remove waste at the front of the property. Appreciate this is a lot of considerations I am seeking help for so any feedback / comments would be great. Thank you in advance.
    ...See More
  • Charnelle Els
    6 years ago
    Hi Pippa,

If you can afford it an extension across the back would be ideal. As per Jonathon's idea. Personally I would then put the dining area in the sunroom but make it larger from the lounge (current lounge size). Then make it open plan to the kitchen. I would suggest double pocket doors from the lounge to the diner to open and close as required. Loo/utility access from the hallway is a must for ease of use, possibly a pocket door here too.

Think hard about how you want to live in the space. Conservatories are outdated and not very practical, I've never liked them. Rather take a little longer and get your dream house.

Good luck
  • Pippa Ev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Charnelle, that's really helpful. I think doors to the living room are a good idea, as there are definitely times when you want to cosy down rather than seeing the full open plan space.

Jonathan: I'd love to expand to the side to avoid the garage door entering the house, but our garage is right next to next door's, so there's no scope to do that.

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Suggested extension footprint to allow you to put a door at the back of the garage for access to the back garden
  • PRO
    Martin McCurdy Architecture Ltd
    6 years ago

Pippa,

Quite a long email string so not quite sure where the plans have got to. The critical point is establishing what approvals (planning and/or lawful development certificate) your would or may need for your proposals. Assuming you house is not in a conservation area building forward of the existing building line will need planning approval (apart from a small porch) and a loft conversion can be done under Permitted Development (PD) but you need comply to the fairly strict requirement. Also a rear extension can be done under PD (agree with the point above re the conservatory), again you need comply with the PD requirements. Seeking a Certificate of Lawfulness for any works you believe can be done without planning is advisable. Hope this helps? Martin

Pippa Ev thanked Martin McCurdy Architecture Ltd
  • Pippa Ev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Martin, all. We're in the process of engaging a local architect, so will update you on where we get to with the plans. I'm trying to have a fiddle with some layouts to capture some of the helpful thoughts about avoiding garage access through the kitchen, allowing hallway access to the accessible bathroom and using potential rear extension space.

Any idea how much space we would need to allow for a wheelchair friendly wetroom? I've been digging around online but it's hard to find useful guidance.

Thanks all!

• ntzch
    6 years ago
    Hi Pippa
    We have a house very similar to yours which we bought already extended through like yours shows in option 2.
    We are looking at an extension out along the back because the kitchen is still quite narrow proportionately and the placing of doors is frustrating the kinds of kitchen layout we want. So do think about the extension idea along the back. We are trying to work out if we could keep our conservatory so this discussion is helpful.
    Carol
  • PRO
    Martin McCurdy Architecture Ltd
    6 years ago

Dear Pippa,

Re the wheelchair standards your architect should be able to advice but if you Google "Mobility Code Level 1 Standard - Wheel chair accessible property standard" you should get some helpful information.

Martin McCurdy

Pippa Ev thanked Martin McCurdy Architecture Ltd
  • E D
    6 years ago
    This could become a lovely house. Congrats on your first property.

I would leave leave just one thing out.
    The apostrophe after 1960...
    1960s will do. :)
  • Karin Hogan
    6 years ago
    hi Pippa, we have a similar house, we are just coming to the end of renovations so wishing you luck with yours. we have a bedroom where your garage is with a door into it from the hall, behind the bedroom is a utility which has a loo and shower with a sliding door which makes it accessible ( the lady who lived here before was elderly and had moved downstairs. there is a door from the utility to the back garden and just outside we have our coal bunker bins etc. we knocked a small extension onto the kitchen and turned the original kitchen into a snug area with a two seater and TV which now looks into a 4m x 6m kitchen/ dining room with two long windows & patio doors to the garden. I would definitely knock the conservatory and extend your kitchen/ dining area out to that footprint. we didn't have any access from front to back either so the downstairs bedroom was the through way for the job and reinstated at the end. we ended up doing all the works in the garden so we wouldn't have to go through the house again at a later stage. so work from the back out to the front. also I got lots of ideas from Houzz so thanks everyone
  • Pippa Ev
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Haha, thanks E D - when we get to the point when apostrophes are all we have to worry about I'll be a happy lady!

• Lena
    6 years ago
    Is there any way to have an access to the loo not from the kitchen? I hope someone already found the solution !
  • Jane Thorpe
    6 years ago

We did a similar project, albeit an older house, and it never quite looked right, so we decided to get it rendered with K render, there are loads of colours to choose from and it now looks amazing, we had slightly off-White. We just did the front elevation so it wasn't too expensive. I'd also recommend changing the Windows if budget allows. Good luck!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Pippa Ev thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I like gray color with black doors more

• PRO
    6 years ago

Cedar color would work too

• PRO
    6 years ago

With rendering

• PRO
    Orange Key Design Studios
    6 years ago

Hi Pippa. This is a 1970s renovation & remodel we designed for a Surrey client 2 years ago. As you can see, it's part rendered, part timber clad. A similar render could work well for your house. Also, we agree with The Picture House, think about changing the windows if your budget allows - it will help lift the overall look of the property. Good luck...

Pippa Ev thanked Orange Key Design Studios
  • E D
    6 years ago
    I generally do like the combination of render and wooden cladding, but am not a fan of the so called 'silvering' effect to the wood that occurs over time.

I think it makes it look a bit tatty.

To blacken it may be nicer, although that could become a passing trend, but you can always paint over it.
  • PRO
    BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
    6 years ago

Hi Pippa.

If it is financially possible, I would definitely go with option 4 and extend the back. In that case you might be able to get the guest toilet between the kitchen and garage without having to extend the latter.

If not, I would go with options 1 or 3 but definitely connect the living room and dinning room with an opening or double doors.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help. just drop me a line or visit www.betterspace.co

Good luck, Avi

• howletthobbs
    6 years ago

Personally I would knock out the wall between the kitchen and dining room but I would also knock out the wall between the dining room and the conservatory (replace with orangery style if budget suits). I would also replace the existing utility with a like for like extension with downstairs loo to save cost. This layout would give you more flexibility and would give you better space at a lower price than the full extensions to the rear.
    To the front adding a mono pitched roof above the front windows, above the front door and across the garage would create a porch and a more aesthetically pleasing frontage. There are some very attractive weatherboarding cladding options that you could apply to the first floor too. Most planners will not allow the front elevation to change or be extended drastically though.

• janyeo33
    6 years ago

I would definitely go with loosing the Conservatory, having always disliked conservatories as I think they are usually completely underused spaces you have to be reminded to use. I would definately move it and extend fully across back.

To the front of the house, there may be many options, but with a tight budget the back extension would be the best addition to the house for appearance, and use of space and definitely value added to property. If that used my existing budget I would probably then leave the front with small changes changing door to Black and getting garage spray painted if still in fair nick. (I have a friend who has just done, it looks brilliant and was done by someone who sprayed cars for a living|) I also like the idea of adding a bit of rendering to front to change the look and bring up to date, .however I by far, prefer the off-white colour render to the dark grey and cedar colours suggested.

Whilst I love the 'grey thing' that is going on at the moment, I personally think it only looks good on very modern builds where grey aluminium window framing is used, if you like that very modern look that is appearing very much now across the country. However that to me would not look good on a semi in a row of semi's as would look 'out of keeping' with surrounding properties. I personally feel that look should be reserved for detached properties although I have seen it done. Good Luck with your project!

What a great site this is!!

• PRO
    Prime Oak
    6 years ago

This is a very drastic change but could give you some ideas on how much you can actually change the appearance of your home and make a traditional home look very modern. We were all stunned by the difference! We built them their new garage on their drive and our sister company Montpelier Joinery replaced their windows. Such a beautiful transformation!

• Natalie Tan
    6 years ago
    Were just coming to the end of a 1970s semi- detached renovation, so I totally hear you on cost!!
    Rewiring is a must. Also look at the windows and central heating/ insulation (we’re in Singapore so it was air-con which needed replacing!).
    I like the idea of the porch. Try to remove the chimney which really dates the property, and you won’t use- and will find it a pain to try to manoeuvre a wheelchair around.
    With wheelchair access, the more open plan you can make the downstairs the easier you will find it- I liked the flow of option one, but with the chimney removed.
    Then prioritise your needs vs wants! Good luck!
  • Jane Thorpe
    6 years ago

Prime Oak Ltd - I absolutely love this transformation. We are currently trying to come up with ways to transform the house we have just bought and this has definitely given me some inspiration - I presume this was an expensive job??!!

Thanks

• PRO
    Prime Oak
    6 years ago

The Picture House - We did not get involved with the builders side of things so unfortunately cannot comment, we only replaced the windows and built the porch and the garage round the size of the house. We just could resist to show everyone the stunning transformation though! We are so glad you like it, thank you for commenting :)

• Pippa Ev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all the helpful comments. I thought I'd update you on where we've got to so far and get your thoughts.

Below are the proposed front elevation and floorplan drawings from our architect. We're currently working on the basis that we'll need to split the work into two phases: step one being to extend to the rear and make the internal changes, and step two being to potentially add the porch/changed roofline out front if and when we have the money.

You'll see that we recognised the point several people raised, which was that extending to the rear would be simplest way to open up the space and get in the necessary downstairs loo so that my mother in law (who's in a wheelchair) can use the loo/shower when she visits.

• I still think that the wet room entrance on the right will be tight for wheelchair access. In case you can't see the tiny writing on the plan, the walkway from the utility to the wetroom is 1m at the thinnest point. That said, it's hard to see how to make access easier. Would a sliding door perhaps help?

• E D
    6 years ago

Maybe I'm not 'reading' your plan properly, but there seem to be a lot of separate rooms. Is that a conscious decision? also, is the only way to the loo through the utility room?

• howletthobbs
    6 years ago

Hi there,

With your changes being minded towards mobility, I would question whether introducing a corridor into your wetroom is a good idea. In most extensions, circulation space is poor value for money as it has low amenity value. I would suggest that swapping the utility and wetroom (as shown in my very crude plan) would be wise as you gain a larger utility and larger wet room as you can then absorb the corridor space into the wetroom/utility and you will end up with a far more usable space. I presume you want to retain access through the garage to the garden however in my experience this is rarely used as garages do have a tendency to become inaccessible due to their use as storage areas, for the small amount of time you may require this access, you could retain a door in from the garage which would remain locked for the majority of the time. Alternatively creating a new opening into the hallway might provide this access without affecting your wetroom/utility.

You may also find that swapping your dining and kitchen space may lend itself better to creating the impression of space as you would be able to see directly from the hall through the new patio doors out to your garden and would allow you to utilise the corner which cheats extra kitchen storage.

Best of luck!

Pippa Ev thanked howletthobbs
  • Ed
    6 years ago
    I would consider losing the conservatory altogether and enjoying the unrestricted view to the garden.

We had exactly the same layout and knocked the conservatory down, and then knocked the old kitchen and dining room together, adding a 3m x 7.5m single story extension that was slightly wider than those two rooms (so would use half of the space between the existing side wall and the boundary, but still leave side access from the rear of the garage into the garden)

Definitely look at your local planning portal to see what other people have done in your street.

Using Bifold’s across the whole rear wall brings lots of light in so that the kitchen can occupy the two remaining walls in the old dining room, with a breakfast bar. It also means you can have a wide and wheelchair friendly threshold out to a patio.

Our friend uses a wheelchair and the house works quite well for her when she visits.

Our plans: https://publicaccess.cheltenham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N60JV8ELGWM00

Hope this helps.
    Pippa Ev thanked Ed
  • Pippa Ev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi E D. The main space at the back of the house is an open plan kitchen/dining /relaxing space, but the utility and wet room are separate. I should have said that the red lines on the plan are existing walls which are being removed. The blue line shows a structural beam.

• E D
    6 years ago
    Thanks for explaining. That does help understanding the plan better, but it still looks like the wet room (and toilet) can only be reached through the utility room. Is that so?
    And if so, is that not a problem? I mean that to be a genuine question :)
  • Gazza McQuills
    6 years ago

Hi Pippa, we make a number of home renovation series for TV. Might be worth taking a look at our website to see if your project would fit with any of our shows... www.amazingproductions.co.uk

• Fran H
    6 years ago
    What about swapping the dining and seating areas. Mainly using the seating and dining with open bifolds during summer and the living and dining for winter. Is it possible to extend the island a little towards the hall to increase storage and worktop?
  • PRO
    Mirabeau Developments
    6 years ago
    Hi
    Previously done very similar refurb and extension to what you are looking for
    Maybe this gives you some ideas
    Pippa Ev thanked Mirabeau Developments
  • PRO
    Mirabeau Developments
    6 years ago
    And here’s a floor plan...
  • PRO
    Tectonics Environmental Design
    6 years ago

Dear Pippa Ev

I see lots of enthusiastic free advice here.

Here's mine - employ a decent architect and develop your ideas with them, or else you'll be going round in circles. Design by committee is not a good approach.

Best Regards

• PRO
    BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
    6 years ago

Hi Pippa!

Congratulations on your purchase, it looks like a great home with lots of possibilities!!!

Having had a look at your requirements and layout options I would suggest one of two possibilities.

Your option 2 has lots of potential but we suggest the following changes.

Firstly to rotate the loo and place it in the space of the utility room, this frees up the space in the garage negating the need for that extension and allowing the funds to be allocated elsewhere.

Second, the wall around the fire seems to be mostly timber. We would suggest removing this entire wall section allowing for a flowing open plan space. This will also help with wheelchair access as there are less doors and entrances to deal with. Something to consider would perhaps be to keep the fire as this could be a nice feature in the space, maybe opening both sides so it becomes a double sided fire toward the living room and dining room.

Raising the floor to the conservatory should not be a massive undertaking but in the mean while you could install a ramp to allow access.

The other option would be your option 4 where you have a extensive renovation with rear extension as this allows for extra light and space, something we could all do with. Not only will a rear extension allow you the above but it will also add a lot of value to the property.

It was a real pleasure to advise you, if you have any other questions - please do reach out via our site - www.betterspace.co.
    Good luck!
    Ed

• Ed
    6 years ago
    To second others advice here, the best thing we did was employ an architect. In our experience it will give you a much better chance of getting planning approved first time, they will be able to take the great ideas from this thread and turn them into something you look at and say “yes, that’s what I wanted”. They’ll also be able to provide a spec for your builder to work to and give you some contractual protection if they turn out to be sloppy. We spent around 5% of our budget on an architect and it was the best money we spent on the project. Then you can pare back the fancy bits and let the design speak for itself. I don’t think you can over-invest in this area, provided you get a good one. Good luck : )
  • PRO
    VC Design Architectural Services
    6 years ago

Yes, Ed, totally agree, but then she did.... posted the design on 13 Jan

I haven't followed the whole thread but maybe that person is not a qualified "Architect"... Love your design, Richard Russett

• PRO
    Tectonics Environmental Design
    6 years ago

Pleased Ed and VC agree.

Since you mention it VC, I can't find you on ARB Register, so take it you are not a qualified "Architect" either?

• Ed
    6 years ago
    Ah yes I see - missed that comment :) Looks good! In fact identical to the first design our architect did. We ended up swapping the kitchen and seating areas in the OPs plan above (to allow for a wider view to the garden), but it wouldn’t work in this design as the lounge/diner remain connected and presumably that’s important due to accessibility. I blocked up the arch between the lounge/diner and then recessed a TV /
    Speakers into the wall (stole the idea off a friend). And gives us a toy/mess-free retreat in the lounge for the evening!
  • vickyviking74
    5 years ago
    This is very interesting as we are in exactly the same position. We moved into our 1960s property in September and we are trying to decide how to extend and adapt to make full use of the space. I look forward to seeing any updates.
  • andituck
    5 years ago
    Hi we live in a house like this. Re kerb appeal, my neighbour cut a slice off the end of her front garden i.e. The grass and threw wild flower seeds down. It absolutely blossomed and looked really contemporary and colourful. I was green with envy! Might work for you too.
  • Lauren Deane
    5 years ago

We have a very similar house and added pocket doors between the dining and lounge. It has maximised the space, improved the flow around it and is best of both worlds as can shut them if we want. With regard to the frontage, we’re looking to render the top half add a porch and change the window style and size. Check out ‘back to front’ design based in Farnham for inspiration they’ve done some incredible things with 60’s/70’s properties.

• Lauren Deane
    5 years ago
  • E D
    5 years ago

Lauren, I'm always a little suspicious when a professional company is incapable of using apostrophes correctly (haha), but they've done a beautiful job on transforming this Farnham house! :)

• Pippa Ev
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all the helpful comments and suggestions, and sorry that it's taken me so long to respond - house renovation and work have been keeping us on our toes!

This has become a long post, so a quick reminder - we were looking to renovate and rewire our 60s house to update it and also make it more wheelchair friendly downstairs for when my mother-in-law comes to visit. We employed an architect and came up with what turned out to be an 'aspirational' design (much more than the budget!) so we ended up deciding to split things into two stages:

• Stage One to add a downstairs wetroom for accessibility, remove chimney throughout and add a porch
    • Stage Two to do the extension across the rear, removing the conservatory to open out a large kitchen/diner and add a utility room

The layout below shows both Stages One and Two as complete. Bits shown in red are existing walls which have been/will be removed (apart from the wall in red in the seating area below which is between the existing kitchen and dining room - that's a mistake).

So.....the building work is now done - hurray! Stage One is complete, we are much poorer, and we now need to decorate the whole house :-)

Some before and after photos below - please bear with the terrible photography skills. The rooms aren't big enough to allow for expansive photos!:

We've re-plastered throughout, apart from in the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, as we'll deal with those later. Current challenge is deciding how on earth to pick paint colours and flooring throughout....

Anyway - hopefully that gives you a sense of where we've got to.

Best wishes

• makatu86
    2 years ago

Hi there

This post has been really helpful as we have a similar 1960 property detached with a double garage. I was wondering if you have an update on the final outcome of your project as we may be looking at a similar type of rennovation.

Regards

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.