kirsty_ryder

Help! Awkward Living Room

Kirsty Ryder
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi! I'm just entering the world of interior design after just moving into a new house! It was built in 1890 and belonged to the pit manager of the local mine I'm told so bags of history, but I cannot figure out where on earth they put all of their furniture! I'm hoping the community here might have some ideas!

So my first project is to plan a layout for our living room.

#1 The first picture with the grey sofa shows how we have our furniture at present. It shows that the fire is really in an awkward place being opposite the door! It seems impossible to incorporate it into the room, along with the TV. There's also another door in the opposite corner - but we don't go in that all very often so we could put something in front of it as long as its easy to move.

#2 The second picture is one thought I had to create a cosy living area at one end of the room with just the bureau and a chair in front of the door. Basically ignoring the fire! Storage is an issue in this house so I put some bookcases in behind the sofa, and perhaps a smaller console style unit on the right as you come in the door - although it could go behind the sofa too - I've seen that idea on lots of posts as I've been trying to find other people with a similar problem to mine. A smaller corner unit might be better for passage, or just a chair in that position - but you see what I'm trying to do. What would be best? Should I really not have the bookcase in the alcove but put the sofa back in there?

#3 The third picture is an idea if we were to remove the fire. The bay window seems a bit lost but would it be in reality?

I would be replacing pretty much all of our furniture - I'm not sure if any of it was ever pretty but it certainly isn't now! The only thing I have to bring from another house is a bureau which could potentially go in this room but otherwise we really are starting from a clean slate. We're even considering removing the fire altogether if it would give us the perfect room layout - although that would be a bit sad, especially as the other day we were talking about replacing it with a nicer wood burning stove which would have been lovely!

Another option would be to put the TV in a different room but that's not the plan at present.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone agrees/disagrees/can suggest any other ideas!

Thanks

Kirsty

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.